A short note about advertising

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just joined the forum and I see this. lol. Not sure what to think but I give kudos the to mods and admin for allowing such good conversation.

I think Dixon has something here and is realistic in his/her views. Seems bright.

I suppose you could mince words forever but as one who has volunteered in a large metropolitan shelter for a few years and worked with major rescues in my area, been able to learn how it works, you'd be surprised how much a REPUTABLE breeder "selling" and a rescue adopting work very much the same way.

Someone gets paid. Rescues get free rabbits to sell (adopt) that are often already vet checked, and altered (or are altered afterwards for $50 by a charitable vet or agency) and they are sold for $75+ often the same day they are picked up for free from the shelter if they are already altered. Clearly, they made a $25 profit.

REPUTABLE breeders feed, play with, pay vet bills for two animals for 7 months to a year before they see offspring. Add on caring for the litter and parents for another 2 months and that is a LOT of money spent. Yet, a show exhibitor will often only charge $20 for a "pet" rabbit and as little as $60 for a rabbit that can win it's class in a national competition (like Westminster but for rabbits). I know both rescuers, pet owners, and show exhibitors and I have yet to meet any show exhibitor/breeder who made a dime off selling their rabbits. Most serious breeders spend thousands of $$ raising and showing their rabbits. No profit there - only losses (financially). Their only profit is bragging rights.

So, tit for tat. ;)

And, yes, having temper tested, rehabbed, rescued, and worked tirelessly with literally tons of shelter rabbits, very few are good pet prospects. Doing adoption screenings I can say that even fewer potential adopters are good pet rabbit owner prospects.

eta: my apologies. I did not realize this topic was closed.

TinysMom: Also - I will ask if she will allow breeders to put their website in their signature lines if they join as an RO Friend

This I think is a good idea. =)

This is just another thought, but breeders work under a reputation more than any other "job" out there. I understand the frustration with the bunny toys and clay figures and such that you mentioned, Tinysmom. But once a breeder messes up, word gets out like wildfire!

So there tends to be not as much issue with that. Although there is still room for some, but most breeders would not consider working with another breeder until that person has a reputation one way or the other.

I don't mean this to be an argument for or against anything, but just saying! Reputations run high in these here parts. :p

So, Is this the same thing about, When you have a post on something about cages, And somebody post in your tread of selling cages/ect. Is this the same thing??

I have been on other sites where both are allowed, and there are never problems. NO ONE advertises, or takes money before meeting to get the rabbits. If they do, it's people who know one another, and there is never any time that mods have to get involved. They simply operate the site.. they are not in charge of the conduct of others.

Another thing to consider is that on another site I visit, they allow posting of used items for a good price, which may be beneficial to the bunnies.

Just one thing I HAVE TO SAY!! Good Breeders are always willing to take back rabbits just like most rescues. I always do.. and good breeders have also rescued bunnies before... I have!

Thats really terrible that people made the stuff, and they didn't follow through with it. As an ebay seller, I know what you mean. I have had people purchase stuff that have never paid. Yet I still piad the rescue money out of my own pocket. I have heard of sellers doin the same thing. Now I know thats not rabbits, bUt i do know of someone that rip someone off by selling her stuff over the internet. thankfully we all forced her to get out of rabbits. I mean these people were pretty shadey.

As for selling rabbits over the net, everything I have done has been local pickups in a neutral place. So far no problems. i do see your point about that though. that can also happen with anyone, including the bunnies in the rescues.

I am sorry you guys have had bad experiences with that, and they ruined it for everyone else. :(

I think the website suggestion is a good idea. :)

Lishka wrote:
I have been on other sites where both are allowed, and there are never problems. NO ONE advertises, or takes money before meeting to get the rabbits. If they do, it's people who know one another, and there is never any time that mods have to get involved. They simply operate the site.. they are not in charge of the conduct of others.

Another thing to consider is that on another site I visit, they allow posting of used items for a good price, which may be beneficial to the bunnies.

Just one thing I HAVE TO SAY!! Good Breeders are always willing to take back rabbits just like most rescues. I always do.. and good breeders have also rescued bunnies before... I have!

That's great.

I'm sure I can hear lots of stories about this being true - and that's fine that their forum is that way.

But this site is run by different people and once again - we may have older software.

Like I said before - a lot of people want a lot of things - and they want it for free. It would be nice if all the things in life were free - but as it is - someone on here has to pay the bills for the site.

Once again - I will take this discussion up with Pipp and the moderators.

Well some of us don't realize you have to pay for the website. I didn't realize you guys did until now.

Hmm. I wonder if you could set up something where you could pay to sell, and the buyers and sellers get feedback. that way they have to follow through with it. Not rabbits, but like cages, and stuff. Then you could always boot the ones that aren't following the rules. :p

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
I am sorry you guys have had bad experiences with that, and they ruined it for everyone else. :(

I think the website suggestion is a good idea. :)
I am willing to take up any suggestions with Pipp and the moderators.

But I think you have to understand something - and this is my personal opinion (which probably stinks).

I'm really discouraged sometimes when I see how often people "want" something from this forum but won't give back to help the forum keep running. Its discouraging because I know we'd love to update the software or change to something - but we don't have the funds for it. (No - I'm not the one who handles the money).

I understand the frustration - for example our Walmart used to have a bulletin board in the pet area where you could post ads. When they redid the store - they removed it. I miss it a lot because I'd love to put my business cards up there.

But I'd rather see us have the money to make some much-needed changes to the forum software to make it more user (and admin) friendly ~ and then add the "nice" stuff that folks would like.

I hope I'm making some sense - I'm fighting a lousy headache (have been for 2 days now) and may have walking pneumonia - so I don't always express myself well (let alone have cohesive thoughts).

I think when the magazine rabbits only had it they paid for it didn't they? Like I said I bet most on here don't know the forum on here has to be paid for. I agree if you want something, then give a little back. Next time I get some money I promise I will donate a little to the forum. May not be much though. :)

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
I think when the magazine rabbits only had it they paid for it didn't they? Like I said I bet most on here don't know the forum on here has to be paid for. I agree if you want something, then give a little back. Next time I get some money I promise I will donate a little to the forum. May not be much though. :)
I'm sorry - I didn't mean it to sound like I'm trying to guilt people into giving....that was not what I meant.

I have another situation going on in my life which is along the same lines - someone wanting something for free...and its just frustrating sometimes.

What y'all can do is start a list in this thread of the ideas you'd like me to present to Pipp and the moderators.

If you want me to check out another forum and how they do things - pm me a link (since we don't advertise other forums on here) and I check out to see how they do things.

And once again - I wasn't trying to guilt folks into this - just...very frustrated at this in general with more than one situation....

I didn't realize this forum was paid for. Most that I belong to are free, which makes things a little easier. That may even be something to consider. I know it's a tall request, but if finances are trouble, moving to a free site like invisionfree can free things up (no pun intended) for everyone involved. :) They are pretty customizable too!

A big part of why we are on a pay site is the amount of bandwidth we use, the massive numbers we have and so on. A large portion of free ones could not handle all we need.

WHat if Ro were to put a sales forum in the membership areas that require donation. So if you are an RO friend or higher you can advertise but not if you are simply using the free part of the forum.

This may sound dumb or it may not help on anything.:baghead

I was on a ferret Forum once.. They had for sale items like selling cages, stuff that people would like to have for their pets not just for ferrets, And other pets as well. I liked it because some people are looking for cages,ect. And if people that are close to you that haves stuff for sale that you need.

Like for example, When they had somebody on here selling those hay racks, Or some people got/bought from.

Back