A Shift in Living Arrangements (ADVICE NEEDED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Wrider

Reaction score
Hello, all!

So, this Christmas came with quite the surprise. I received a two layer hutch as a gift for my bunnies! This is a lovely and we'll thought out gift on my parents' parts to make sure that my hay allergies are no longer affecting me on a daily basis, seeing as how the rabbits will be living outside my room.

Only, that's just the problem. They've always been in my room. To put them outside is something that I'm unfamiliar with, and so I'm not sure of how best to make modifications to their new hutch to help them live comfortably.

Main issues:
  • Weather: in the area I live in, we average winter lows of 40° to 50° F. On the occasion, we will get just a touch of frost, with the temp dropping to 35° F a couple days of the year. We do not get snow, but wind and moderate rainfall are an issue. The hutch will not be in the yard, but on the back porch and in a section that my dad enclosed with corrugated roofing materials.
  • Food, Water and Bedding: I'm going to stick with the tried and true litter box method, since they are both box trained. However, these hutches are a might smaller than the living quarters they have now, so I'm wondering if it would be best to switch from bowls to water bottles to maximize space. They do have a separate area for resting, but I don't know how best to insulate it besides "cover the whole thing with straw and litter" which is, to be honest, NOT my favored solution.

It has occurred to me that I might need my parents to just send the hutch back and get a bigger one since both my rabbits are fully grown, but for now I'd like to at least see if this one is doable. Pics below, all. Thoughts?

IMG_20191226_191830.jpg IMG_20191226_191841.jpg IMG_20191226_191900.jpg

I have a hutch very similar to that one and it is very small for only one mini rex. It is also not preditor proof. A raccoon could easily open the hutch and kill your rabbits. To keep your rabbits safe, and to give them more room I suggest putting their hutch in a shed/shop. My rabbit has his hutch in our shed and then has a playpen that he has 24/7 access to. The playpen has netting over it so that he cannot get out, and so that other animals cannot get in. His hutch also has preditor proof latches. I use a water bottle to save room. The link below is to the latches, and the picture is the set up that I use for my rabbit and what I suggest you use for yours. (The picture does not have any toys/hay in it because I had just finished cleaning)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Zinc-Gate-Latch/3036123
2019-12-27.jpg

To keep Theo (my rabbit) warm in the winter he has towels and a dog bed that is self-heated. Rabbits can handle the cold much better than people give them credit for. They grow a long coat and stay warm. The main concern will be keeping them cool in the summer. Theo has a concrete floor that stays chilly so keeping him cool is not an issue.

If you are unable to put your rabbits in a shop/shed I suggest building a run that they can live in. I am working on one for Theo right now because I hate him being alone in our shed. Below is a picture of what you could build.
2000x1125.jpg

Last edited:
I have a hutch very similar to that one and it is very small for only one mini rex. It is also not preditor proof. A raccoon could easily open the hutch and kill your rabbits. To keep your rabbits safe, and to give them more room I suggest putting their hutch in a shed/shop. My rabbit has his hutch in our shed and then has a playpen that he has 24/7 access to. The playpen has netting over it so that he cannot get out, and so that other animals cannot get in. His hutch also has preditor proof latches. I use a water bottle to save room. The link below is to the latches, and the picture is the set up that I use for my rabbit and what I suggest you use for yours. (The picture does not have any toys/hay in it because I had just finished cleaning)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Zinc-Gate-Latch/3036123
View attachment 44511

To keep Theo (my rabbit) warm in the winter he has towels and a dog bed that is self-heated. Rabbits can handle the cold much better than people give them credit for. They grow a long coat and stay warm. The main concern will be keeping them cool in the summer. Theo has a concrete floor that stays chilly so keeping him cool is not an issue.

If you are unable to put your rabbits in a shop/shed I suggest building a run that they can live in. I am working on one for Theo right now because I hate him being alone in our shed. Below is a picture of what you could build.
View attachment 44512

So, a little more background: these rabbits are not bonded. I've been trying for months to get them together, but they just can't stand one another for longer than 20 minutes at a time. I don't know if it's a space issue, but I need something big enough for them to be separate and also not permanent because at some point my fiance and I plan to move in together.

For a short answer, the hutch shown in the photo you posted is far too small for one rabbit. Splitting it in half so each rabbit is on one level would be waaay too small.

Only if a permanent run were attached would that hutch be remotely do-able.

To give you a better feel for what is appropriate, here is a link that shows ideas for good outdoor enclosures (it's mixed with pics of indoor too):
http://pinterest.com/catcatxx/rabbit-housing-wall-of-fame/

Then, for comparison, here is a link that shows samples of bad housing to avoid:
http://pinterest.com/catcatxx/rabbit-housing-wall-of-shame/

For a short answer, the hutch shown in the photo you posted is far too small for one rabbit. Splitting it in half so each rabbit is on one level would be waaay too small.

Only if a permanent run were attached would that hutch be remotely do-able.

To give you a better feel for what is appropriate, here is a link that shows ideas for good outdoor enclosures (it's mixed with pics of indoor too):
http://pinterest.com/catcatxx/rabbit-housing-wall-of-fame/

Then, for comparison, here is a link that shows samples of bad housing to avoid:
http://pinterest.com/catcatxx/rabbit-housing-wall-of-shame/
That's what I had figured... Dad doesn't want to return it, but I know we could build better with that money, on our own. Nothing pre sold is good for full grown bunnies, they're all made too small. I'll have to talk to him about returning it and coming up with a design for a different one.

If your rabbits are not bonded please don’t put them together in that hutch! You definitely need a run to attach to it as it’s way too tiny for even one! Also moving from a warm house to cold dark predictor outdoor nights is a big shock for buns and they will need time and practise to adapting to this! I would consider keeping them inside- moving them to another room in the house or garage to help your allergies? Shame as it’s a lovely present and you don’t want to seem ungrateful so understand the tricky situation. Good luck :)

If your rabbits are not bonded please don’t put them together in that hutch! You definitely need a run to attach to it as it’s way too tiny for even one! Also moving from a warm house to cold dark predictor outdoor nights is a big shock for buns and they will need time and practise to adapting to this! I would consider keeping them inside- moving them to another room in the house or garage to help your allergies? Shame as it’s a lovely present and you don’t want to seem ungrateful so understand the tricky situation. Good luck :)
Oh, no worries, I had no intention of forcing them into the same space. The hutch is separated, and anything I replace it with will also be separated. I've already made it clear to my parents that this is not what's best for my bunnies. I have previously considered the garage, but it requires a great deal of cleaning and reorganizing that no one has the time for at the moment, so I do need to further figure out an outside option. But they will be given proper adjusting time.

This hutch is too small, this would only work if you have it open for day with a run around it or something, but as your rabbits are not bonded it will create additional problems to all of you.

My Bernie was an indoor rabbit first when she was 2 months old in August, then she grew up and was moved outdoor into a same hutch like yours just one level. Then she was outside in a hutch most of time and kids lost interest in her and she spent winter alone in her hutch. She gained some extra weight and became a little grumpy, as her character changed for worse kids gave her no attention at all and in February their mother decided to rehome her as she was only one who took care of her and she works full-time.

So, moving them outdoor into a small hutch to stay away from humans and they will be alone as not bonded you can't put them in together it can cause depression and other bad things, also if they were all indoor until now they didn't grew thicker winter coat and moving them outdoor this winter wouldn't be good for them as well.
It was nice of your parents to make such a lovely present but if you can explain that to them I am sure they will understand.

Myself also have a small hutch for my holland lop mix. I had to find a better soloutions because all the fighting between my doe and him.

Not the best soloutions, but I placed both my hutches in the same area. My bunnies will have acess to the run different time of the day.

My holland lop mix have the time between 6:00 - 16:00, while my french lop have acess to the run 16:00- 00:00. Made it like that because my doe it’s most active during the night, when the temperature it’s lower and will just sleep during the day.

You can have a small hutch but then they need a run connected to it. Best would be having separated hutches and two seperated runs. They should be able to see each other. So they have at least some contact maybe they might bond later on, if you are lucky.

I know my outdoor bunnies will often stay close or sleep next to each other cages.

IMG_5168.jpg

So, moving them outdoor into a small hutch to stay away from humans and they will be alone as not bonded you can't put them in together it can cause depression and other bad things, also if they were all indoor until now they didn't grew thicker winter coat and moving them outdoor this winter wouldn't be good for them as well.
It was nice of your parents to make such a lovely present but if you can explain that to them I am sure they will understand.
Well, we are returning the hutch for something that will work better. So there's that. The other thing is that while my parents gifted me an outdoor hutch, it's a necessity for me. I'm the one who, ultimately, is making a decision that's healthier for both me and my bunnies. I caught a real nasty bout of pneumonia from a co-worker a couple years ago, and my lungs never properly recovered. Combine that with my bunnies being in my room, the hay allergy, and I'm getting sick almost every other week. When I'm sick, I can't take care of them like they need, and it's just a cycle that makes it all worse.

I have been caring for them meticulously and to the best of my ability since I got Quinn a year and a half ago, and I won't abandon them when they go outside. These are my babies.

Also, I wouldn't be moving them outside until March or April when the weather here gets a little warmer. :)

Oh, no worries, I had no intention of forcing them into the same space. The hutch is separated, and anything I replace it with will also be separated. I've already made it clear to my parents that this is not what's best for my bunnies. I have previously considered the garage, but it requires a great deal of cleaning and reorganizing that no one has the time for at the moment, so I do need to further figure out an outside option. But they will be given proper adjusting time.
They seem like very well loved, lucky bunnies so you will be able to tell what’s best for them! Just check on them regularly in the new habitat you choose for them :)

Well, we are returning the hutch for something that will work better. So there's that. ... the hay allergy,

Hopefully the links I gave earlier showing various housing options (samples of good contrasted with samples of bad housing) will be a source of ideas as you make your plans. :)

On a separate note, have you tested to see which hays you may be allergic to? I had been feeding bermuda but had to switch to timothy. Larry (@Nancy McClelland ) had to switch from timothy to orchard. It is not uncommon to be allergic to just specific types of grass/hay.

Latest posts

Back