A rabbit needs help....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A lady on myspace needs help for her rabbit, Pebbles. I think she is in the process of signing up for the forum....I hope.

Her rabbit is 6 years old, unspayed, and she has been with her since she was a tiny baby. She uses pine bedding (I already told her it was harmful) and her rabbit is currently shedding.

She said that Pebbles has been eating normally and pooping semi-normally. There isn't as much poop in the cage right now as their should be, she said.

She said that Pebbles keeps "making a bed" in her cage and appears to be in pain, but still active. She also said that when Pebbles drinks water, she can hear bubbling noises in her stomach.

Pebbles diet is Purina Rabbit Chow (in the green bag) and she gets fed about a cup (or a tad more). Her hay is Timothy and she gets a handful of it per day.

What should I have her do for Pebbles?

My best advice?

Tell her to take the bun to the vet ASAP...

Trying to help her via email won't be fast enough for whatever may be wrong, and you may not get enough details on what's happening.

I would tell her to take her bun to the vet.

Yea, thats what im thinking too, but since she's in pain, maybe something is going wrong with the babies, hence making some weird intestional sounds.

I think she should get her to the vet as soon as possible! :)

Nope, has not been in contact with a male at all.

She said that when Pebbles was a baby, she had a urinary tract infection...if that helps at all?

I don't trust ER vets, so unless there's one listed as rabbit-savvy, they honestly may do more harm than good. :(

If she's straining, it could be a uterine tumour or infection, or maybe she's just trying to pass gas, we'll need a better description.

Any discharge? Is she objecting to light tummy massages? The gurgling is more an indication of gas.

Try Simethicone and as always, keep her warm and hydrated, try vibration therapy and/or massagesuntil a rabbit vet can be found tomorrow.

If she's molting and her poops are small and/or infrequent, much more likely to be a stasis/gas thing, making the hydration and movement very important.Pedialyte and/ordiluted juiceandcanned pumpkin would be helpful.

sas :pray:

She has to go to work and returns home at 8am. She said she will try calling around for vets tomorrow.

She said there isn't a place near her that is open 24 hours for Simithicone. She said her Walmart isn't even open for 24 hours.

I guess just hope and pray that Pebbles makes it through, unfortunately I wish something could get done sooner about it :?.

Do we have any members in South Jersey near Wildwood?

She just left for work. I am going to keep my fingers crossed.

Her is the face of Pebbles (who looks a bit over-weight)...

1516560074_l.jpg

l_1ccbcd0a04da569cf1fb2a75f3a1edc0.jpg

l_b78be5cd9c1195a9574ed12d293e5120.jpg

Sounds to me like gas combined with a false pregnancy. I'd treat the gas first and foremost (simethicone,tummy rubs, keep her warm, fluids etc). Now, if it is a false pregnancy and she's pulling hair, she could be ingesting some of it which, combined with gas, could be bad.

Id have her treat for gas and just make sure Pebbles belly doesnt start to get bigger and/or harden. Or make sure if shes eating that shes also pooping.

This happened to iluvmybuns a few weeks ago (Ozzy) when he had gas + ingested hair. The simethicone alone wasnt enough if theres hair (but Ozzy was eating and just not pooping so it was obvious it wasnt just gas) and he needed a gut motility drug like Reglan (combined with simethicone).

If this bun is still eating and pooping a little, could just be the beginnings of gas. If she gets on it asap Pebbles should be ok.

Heres hoping she joins soon!

Thanks, Haley :). I passed the information along to Jaxx (the girl) for her to read when she gets home from work.

Hopefully treatment will be followed through as soon as she gets home.

Im rereading, I wonder when she said Pebbles was "making a bed" what she meant? I assumed she meant making a nest ie. pulling fur etc. Maybe not though? Could just be moving things around bc shes uncomfortable?

Anyway, treating for the gas is the main thing.

Haley wrote:
Im rereading, I wonder when she said Pebbles was "making a bed" what she meant? I assumed she meant making a nest ie. pulling fur etc. Maybe not though? Could just be moving things around bc shes uncomfortable?

Yeah, I am thinking she wasn't making a nest. I think Pebbles was just shifting things around because she is in pain/uncomfortable.

I am worried though. Jaxx is at work until 8am...and I beleive it is 12:30 on the east coast....meaning Pebbles has a little while to go for treatment, and that is IF Jaxx treats her with gas meds right away and doesn't waste anytime phoning vets before doing anything else.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
If someone can reach her, tell her to do this asap, and to give Simethicone-1.5 cc's once every hour for four hours. Hope this gets to her.

All I can do now is leave her messages on her AIM for her to recieve when she gets home from work in the morning :?.

Yeah the "making the bed" part might be the scratching they do when in pain... Like aggressively rearranging blankets. That's what Wiggles does.

I hope it works out alright for them.:)

Latest posts

Back