A few concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prince_and_thumper

Reaction score
I didn't really know where to put this. But my new bunny, prince. Hasn't been drinking, that I've seen anyways. His water bottle is still as full as when I first filled it up. And it doesn't seem like he's eating either. He did eat a carrot yesterday though so that calmed my concern for that down a little. But he won't eat his rabbit food. I don't know what to do, and I don't think my vets open til monday. What do I do in the mean time?

I know I just got him on Friday, so maybe it's stress that's causing it, but what do I do to get him to drink/eat something so I can stop worrying at least until I can get him to a vet.

Are you giving him the same food he had been fed before?

The carrot would of quenched his thirst a little, was he used to drinking from a bowl or a bottle? It might be worth putting both in, he might prefer a bowl.

I tried a bowl the night he came home. was the same amount as when I put it in. When I just put him back in his cage a couple minutes ago, I had to tap on it a few times to show him where it was. He didn't seem to know. And yes it's the same food, mixed with some of the new food I plan on feeding him so he can get used to it.

Has he eaten any hay? How is he acting in himself? Did he have a bowl or a bottle before he came to you?

I would suggest not trying to change his food over quite so quick, maybe give him just the food he is used to for now, and when he is more settled start to make the transition.

Is he weeing? Pooing?

I gave him hay, but he pushed it away. He has it if he wants it though. He just acts kind of shy, a bit scared, I can understand it because it's in a new place though. Although he freaks out at the slightest touch. He had no water, whatsoever from the place I got him at, which is why I bought him, because they didn't take proper care of him. And yes he is doing both.

Rabbits can live without you giving them a supply of water, only if they get lots of fresh veggies and grass like they would in the wild.

Were the place you got him from giving him plenty of veggies?
How old is he again?

If he wasn't getting water at all I'm sure he would of passed away by now,

When I saw him, there was only a bowl of food, no veggies, yet it was late when I got him, so he might've eaten them all. And they didn't have an exact age for him, which I found strange, they said he was under a year though.

Have you checked the waterbottle to make sure it's working right? I've had them "stick" where the water wouldn't dispense.

To be honest, he could easily have been ill before you got him if he was kept in less than desirable conditions, so you may be fighting both an illness, and then the stress side of him having been brought to a new place (definitely a good thing you got him, but still stressful for him).

I don't have much good advice but I would suggest a warm heat pad so that he can get some warmth and comfort from it.

Has he pooed or weed?

Normally I would tell you to syringe him pedialyte butI don't know if you would be able to syringe him?

he is either sick or really frightened . Can you describe if his physical appearance looks healthy? or does he look skinny and frail?

try Giving him a small amount of wet parlsey

also could try a small amount of alfalfa to see if he would eat that.

also add some apple juice to the water. to make it tastier

I would also try to cover his cage partially with a sheet to give him a lot of privacy or a place to retreat to in his cage.
and let us know

he most likely should get some sq fluids . If you you pluck his fur up at the neck does it feef firm and go backin place when you let go ?

That is a method to tell if your bun is dehydrated...

It was very kind of you to get him from a bad situation.

Pedialyte is very safe and highly recommended for a rabbit that isn't drinking or is dehydrated. We sometimes recommend the unflavored because of the sugar in the flavored but I usually give flavored because some rabbits like it and it is easier to syringe.
it has electrolytes in it which will replenish the rabbits system . it has sodium which will encourage drinking.
I give it all the time and so do most of us on the site at one time or another.
i just thought that you might have trouble handling him if he is very scared. Always make sure when syringing it that the bun is swallowing and go slow as you don't want him to aspirate any of it. I usually keep the rabbit right side up and kneel over him/her and sort of clench the bun between my inner thighs with his head facing out wards Slip the syringe behind his front teeth from the side and not the front. so when you push the fluid in ;it is not being shot towards the back of his throat.
if you are going to be syringing you might as well pick up some cans of pure pumpkin without any flavoring for pie at the grocery store and maybe some veggie flavored baby food ( I assume you don't have critical care if you are new to rabbits). if he is pooping and peeing his system has not shut down which is very good and if you can entice him to eat on his own that is better than syringing food but right now concentrate on the pedialyte.
it is OK to feed very small amount of wet greens and watch to see if his poops are OK after he eats them.
You really don't know what he has had on his past and I guess that he probably was fed just pellets.
There is another product called Nutrical that some of us have used at time (it is high in fat and sugar) and is really made for cats and dogs but according to some members it is great to stimulateappetite ; it is sold in pet stores in a tube and you can smear some either on a front lg so they have to lick it off to get rid of it. A vet can give a vitamin B injection to stimulate appetite when you see one.

There are feeding syringes sold at pet stores that you can cut the tip off to allow the flow that you want......

I am sure that other members have more suggestions as when you own a rabbit
"We have already been there and done that"
keep us up-dated
Maureen

He may prefer a crock. I hope it's just stress or he doesn't want to drink. My guys don't always drink, and when they do it's very little.

I tried putting water in a bowl, but he didn't drink that either >.< but his eating is getting better, he ate some hay in front of me. As for the pedialyte advice I got, I got him to take some from a syringe, he actually loved it

Have you shown him how to get the water from the bottle? I usually use my clean fingertip to get water to come out and sort of put their face up to it so they get the idea.

Latest posts

Back