a day at the fair...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Visited the 4-H fair for old time's sake--I missit!!! Bunbun and I used to run all around the fairgrounds and meeteveryone (he loved kids).

There was the CUTEST Flemish Giant buck--just a massive thing! He hadbeen a bottle baby and so was extremely friendly. I was scratching hishuge head and he looked like he'd died and gone to heaven. He had thosegorgeous long black eyelashes that look like the fakeonesmovie stars used to use, and he must haveweighed...oh...at least 15 lbs. What's the average, anyway? I know hewas on the big side but I'm bad at guessing weight!

And in the next cage was the tiniest baby Mini-Rex. Honestly, must havebeen between 3 and 4 weeks (it's not right to show a baby at that age!)Her little body was as big as the buck's head, and they were layinghead to head through the cage bars. Poor little thing! The buck was asweetheart, he just kept her company. The baby didn't move, floppedout, and showed absolutely no response when touched. Her eyes were kindof blank, too--looked utterly exhausted and stressed.

That's just NOT right!

There were a couple super-friendly Giants--one silver one runningaround his owner's feet outside, no leash or anything! He was huge too.Most of the buns tended to the large breeds and the ever present lops,which is a real switch from the dwarfs and dutches when I showed. I hadthe big bunnies then!

Got to talking to someone with rescued buns in the petting zoo (anotherof my old haunts!). Asked if I could hold his bunny and he said "well,I don't know, he might scratch you!" I laughed and showed off my battlescars! hehehe So he said go ahead and I tranced the little fellow, whoBTW was an absolute angel!

Sooo....I want to do the petting zoo next year. Pandemonium, Izzy, andBubby will be perfect. Pandemonium won't be fazed by the noise, becauseshe can't hear any of it! Izzy loves kids and loves attention, andBubby will hopefully be an overly friendly awkward yearling by thattime.

I miss my boy Bunbun, though. He and I had so much funthere....:(So many memories, and almost all of them involveBunbun. The time I discovered he had fleas and the rabbitsuperintendent fell in love with him and scratched his itchies insteadof sending him home....him running up and down the aisles, flirtingwith the bunnygirls in the cages--and the human girls!....thetime he was dubbed "Mr. Personality" by the samesuperintendent....lounging by his cage scratching his head andlistening to the little kids squeal about the cute bunnies....him atthe petting zoo intimidating friend Alycia's puppy, who hid behind herlegs.....

aw.....I miss him so bad! :?

Rose

Yes, she is profoundly deaf. I believe it'scongenital. I found out several years ago when she was sleeping oneday, couldn't wake her, yelled several inches from her and she didn'teven twitch. She didn't wake up until I poked her, and panicked becauseI surprised her.

After that, I started to observe her closely, and tried again andagainto get her to respond to noise. I can make as much noiseas possible, and she will not respond unless she feels or seessomething. I pound on the cage to get her attention, or wave a hand infront of her face. She's extremely responsive to everything but noise.Fenwick, who lives next door and has ears like a hawk, alerts her bythumping and running around when there's danger or excitement. She issensitive to vibration.

She also has what appears to be very slight cataracts, although she isstill young. Other than that, she's happy, intensely affectionate,perpetually jealous, and healthy as a horse.

Rose

Latest posts

Back