A cup? What kind of cup?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a teenager, (many years ago), I was asked to babysit for a lovely British couple that had just moved toour neighborhood. They came to the house to talk to me and my parents. They wanted to go out around 7:30, so thehusband informed me he would "Knock me up around 7..." :shock2:I'm afraid I was pretty shocked... (itdoesn't mean thesame thing over there!) After I got over my panic, and asked it he meant pick me up... and he told me gentlemen do not "pick up young ladies"... We figured out what we were talking about... but it was funny....

BlueGiants wrote:
They wanted to go out around 7:30, so thehusband informed me he would "Knock me up around 7..." :shock2:I'm afraid I was pretty shocked... (itdoesn't mean thesame thing over there!) After I got over my panic, and asked it he meant pick me up... and he told me gentlemen do not "pick up young ladies"... We figured out what we were talking about... but it was funny....
Cathy, that's a stitch!:biggrin2: I bet you were scared:shock:.

:laugh:So, He was going to knock you up before you watched his kid?! LOL!

I have had the best times with Brett, talking about words and laughing. I would say like "I need to take my meds" and he giggled cause "meds" is feminine products there!

It's great fun sometimes but boy can it be confusing! Even within the United States we have different terms for things..... like Dinner and Supper.

Some people say Dinner is mid-day, Some (me) it is evening meal.

Some say Supper is the evening meal and others call it the mid-day meal. I call that lunch.

I don't even use the word "supper" but it's common in Indiana. I just broke myself of some words like that. I rarely say "Couch" but say "Sofa" now - I thought these words were "hick" words for so long as a teen LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
:laugh:So, He was going to knock you up before you watched his kid?! LOL!

I have had the best times with Brett, talking about words and laughing. I would say like "I need to take my meds" and he giggled cause "meds" is feminine products there!

It's great fun sometimes but boy can it be confusing! Even within the United States we have different terms for things..... like Dinner and Supper.

Some people say Dinner is mid-day, Some (me) it is evening meal.

Some say Supper is the evening meal and others call it the mid-day meal. I call that lunch.

I don't even use the word "supper" but it's common in Indiana. I just broke myself of some words like that. I rarely say "Couch" but say "Sofa" now - I thought these words were "hick" words for so long as a teen LOL!

We have the dinner confusion over here too- to keep things simple I don't use it at all!

I just use breakfast, lunch, and tea :)Tea is commonly used for the evening meal here, although if we're going out somewhere (a bit posh or something!) I'll say 'going out for dinner'. :D

Hee hee, couch used to sound SO American to me when I was younger- I call it sofa now, but my parents always used to call it a 'settee'! :?

It's really funny how one thing has a completely different name depending on where you are!

Mouse_Chalk, I think your question is excellent! Funny how we can both speak English (or some version there of...) and still have questions on meanings.

My Grandmother always called it a setee! ...And her large meal was dinner at 12 pm and tea was at 4 (in the parlor... not the living room...). She was born in Britain and came here as a teenager. As kids, we used to giggle at what she called things... Now, I only wish I couldspend another day with her....

THat's so cool!

I've never heard of dinner being "tea" or that the noon meal was the largest one! Unless it's on a farm, on a Sunday - Then the noon meal is more around 1 or so and if everyone is working they have a huge meal - especially during a hay day.

My mom always called green peppers - mangos. Mangos are a fruit, but people here call green bell peppers mangos...... Ugh! drives me crazy LOL!

This topic is so interesting.Myhusband laughs at me as I always say "Close the light" instead of "urn off the light" I guess it's a Northern Ontario thing. I just tell him he's wrong and I'm right. LOL

Susan:)

Calling green peppers mangos? What do people in Indiana call mangos then? Also, I thought tea was like a little snack between lunch and dinner. When I was in Austria, my host parents always had a cup of tea and a little slice of cake or some cookies or a pastry at about 3 in the afternoon. Breakfast was tea or coffee and bread, a roll or crackers with butter and jam, lunch was at noon and was the main meal of the day, then tea and then dinner at 6 or 7. Dinner was bread and rolls with assorted cheese spreads, butter and deli meat, as well as any fresh veggies from the garden and whatever was leftover from lunch if there was anything.

What do you guys usually have for tea?

Green peppers are Mangoes?!! That is strange lol!Iimagine you could end up making some very odddishes if you misunderstood that in recipes! :rofl:Good question Snowy, what are Mangoes called near you Bo?

Although we tend to call the evening meal 'tea', it's usually still the largest meal of the day- like a proper cooked meal- whereas lunch is usually something like a sandwich (I say this generally, obviously not everyone's the same!). Unless, it's a Sunday, where a lot of families have 'Sunday Lunch' which is a big roast dinner usually had in the afternoon sometime... Although in my house we always have it in the evening, just to confuse matters, because I can never get organised early enough in the day!:embarrassed:

I dunno where it comes from though, calling it 'tea'- I suppose from the old fashioned afternoon tea- like pots of actual tea and cakes etc! I'm not clued up enough on history to know for sure though! :)

And Sooska! I don't know why butI always say 'shut the light off' instead of 'turn the light off' but I have NO IDEA why lol!

Well, now that we get more and more fresh fruit and stuff (when I was a kid we didn't get things like kiwi or mangos) people have gotten better and they call them what they are! Of course the older generations like my parents call the peppers mangos and the mangos are ....... "What the heck are those things??" or Mangos..... LOL!

okiron wrote:
I use the cup that comes with your detergent after it's been cleaned and rinsed real good lmao.

I do too! I also have an old aluminum measuring cup I picked up at a garage sale that I use but when it's needing to be washed the laundry measuring cups work perfectly.

One thing to keep in mind though is the type of food being measured:

People buy a variety of brands ...we have people here feeding anything from standard sized pellets to pellets with "extras" included that the rabbits may not eat at all. The ammount you measure may be quite a bit less that what your rabbit will eat (or eat healthily) in all actuality.

When I brought Ibimi home she "came with" some brand of food (I forget what) that had cat food sized chunks of something in it, along with dried corn and possibly bits of dried fruit in it.

I should have done a weight comparison with my LED kitchen scale but I didn't. However, I'm sure the weight from both types of food would have greatly varied in a cups measurement.

And you thought your initial question was stupid , mouse_chalk???? You see what an interesting and amusing discussion you started off? So, asking is always a great idea! You never know how many things (other than your query) you're gonna learn!

As you know, English is a foreign language for me. Having obtained language diplomas in both the British English and the American Englishlanguages,i.e. having studied the different words meaning the same thing or the difference in whata specific word means,I'm having such a good time in reading this linguistic discussion!

Marietta

Lol Marietta- I know, it's hillarious!

The funny thing is that when I asked the question to start with, I didn't imagine that cups actually meanta measurement- I simply thought that people used different kinds of cups, and wondered how that would work if we were all using cups of a different size! ;)

Oh well, at least I don't feel as stupid anymore!:)

Latest posts

Back