9 week old mini rex ear starting to flop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liddellsbunbuns

Reaction score
I bought a 9 week old mini rex buck from a local 4h member with the intent on getting into showing. (I told her that those were my plans) Everything looked great on him up until today, his left ear is now starting to droop. They were nice and perky (lol) when I got him and for the last 3 days but today not so much. His right ear still looks great and in the right position. So this is something I should be concerned about right?(in regards to showing himI mean.)I dont remember my pet quality girls ears doing this. :(

here is a pic sorry for the crumby cellphone pic. Looking at him his ears were not even that big a few days ago. :?

(aww he looks pissed lol)

4831194569_f1314a9a25.jpg

check his ears for mites....thats not very normal.
is he walking ok? acting ok otherwise?

4832042518_c0dcbb0870.jpg

He is moving around great and his ears are nice and clean and I can not see anything that looks like mites are in there, (no "dirt" or smell or crusties) and he is not tilting his head at all. I think its just starting to lop. :(

He doesn't really look purebred...:/ Does his fur feel velvety? He looks like his mixed with some type of lop - the way his head is shaped, and he looks pretty big for a 9-week old MR. ;)

How much does he weigh?

Emily

according to his pedigree he is purebred and also looking at his pedigree he was born on 6/6 so he is only 7 weeks :/ I am not sure how much he weighs I dont have a small scale yet, but he is pretty small, I think the pic makes him look bigger. Oh and yes his fur is velvety.I dont think I got what I was asking for.:(

Pedigrees can be made up, although I would hope a breeder in 4-H wouldn't do such a thing. But purebred Mini Rex shouldn't have lopped ears like that. Even for 7 weeks, he's still quite big.

Emily

Yeah...I think a lop snuck in with the rex. Very pretty bunny though. I have two min-rex (pets) and your bunny has huge ears! Mine have very big ears for their breed and yours really exceed Sparky and Scooters.

I emailed her and she says she doesnt know what it could be and she is going to email the pictures to her friend to see what she has to say about it. I hope things work out.

I have had baby mini-rex get droopy ears when it is very hot. It usually happens to the ones with longer ears. He looks like he's going to be a big boy. Measure his ears from between his ears resting the ruler on his head. Mini-rex have a max ear length of 3 1/2 inches.

It's not unusual that rabbits with erect ears occasionally have a weak/wide ear base and their ears lop. Steady heat is often (but not always) a factor. We have an erect ear rabbit in the barn now that has ears that have lopped.

The ear may - or may not go back up.

I have no idea if this would happen in rabbits, but in some breeds of dogs with upright ears I heard that if they have too little calcium as puppies I think, one or both of their ears can start flopping. I can't remember where I heard it so don't know how true it is . . .

Vitamin deficiency can cause the ears to lop or "bell" at the tips, however this can generally be ruled out if the rabbit is fed a balanced diet and does not have a metabolic disorder.

Latest posts

Back