5 new babies from nice boy bunny HELP!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The babies were just born yesterday right?

I was reading somewhere, That they give the babies 48 hrs after birth. If they havent ate in 48 hrs. They need to eat. You can hold the momma and put the babies underneath her and let them eat. I had to this a few times after my first litter was born. But I only gave them 24 hrs after they were born.

lion headed rabbit (mom) dwarf rabbit, but large, gray with down ears (dad).

Dd is headed home and freaked out. She is frightened. I am trying to calm her.
Thank you.

mistyjr wrote:
The babies were just born yesterday right?

I was reading somewhere, That they give the babies 48 hrs after birth. If they havent ate in 48 hrs. They need to eat. You can hold the momma and put the babies underneath her and let them eat. I had to this a few times after my first litter was born. But I only gave them 24 hrs after they were born.
OK, Lisa will be happy to hear the 48 hours. But what do we do about Leo's very long hair please?

Tell her just calm down and nothing to worry about.. First time mom's are always hard. They really dont know what to do and they need some little help.. But itsnt nothing to be worried about. My first Lion Head babies were born. They never had big huge bellies. They were moving and crying so I knew there were okay. They are now 16 weeks old and healthy. I have noticed to with my babies. They would be wrinkly for a day or so.

I raise Lion Head's and Jersey Woolies. These both breeds have long thick fur. The fur is fine. The mother pulls fur around her belly and nipples to feed the babies. My Doe would pull fur on her sides and back. That is normal to have long fur, It wont hurt the babies.. But the babies need to be in fur to keep warm.

That little baby doesn't seam like it has eaten :(
Like the others said,
It needs to eat..along with its siblings.

I would definitely hold the mom and let the babies drink, hopefully she has milk

*fingers crossed*

Yes, You need to flip her over and see if she haves any milk in too. Flip her over in your arms and cover her eyes with your arm. Like a cradle hold. Or you can hold her still and feel her nipples. If they fell some little any milk is normal. I dont know this but My Doe's didnt have a lot of milk for a few weeks when the babies were eatting more. But you can hold the momma still by holding her head and butt. And put the babies underneth her and they will find it.

Here I will post some pictures that I have tooken!
It will help!

mistyjr wrote:
Yes, You need to flip her over and see if she haves any milk in too. Flip her over in your arms and cover her eyes with your arm. Like a cradle hold. Or you can hold her still and feel her nipples. If they fell some little any milk is normal. I dont know this but My Doe's didnt have a lot of milk for a few weeks when the babies were eatting more. But you can hold the momma still by holding her head and butt. And put the babies underneth her and they will find it.

Here I will post some pictures that I have tooken!
It will help!
thank you, very helpful. may have to go off line to call her. These are all great help in handling.

okay!! Here are a few picture's from both of my momma's! I hope this helps some!

Here's a picture that I held Ariel(LionHead) the put babies underneth her!
038-2.jpg

Here's Ariel's nesting box,
029-2.jpg

006-4.jpg

My Jersey Wooly Nesting Box!
mistys350.jpg

First of all - that baby almost looks too far gone to eat....I just want to warn you. It looks really bad and when they get that wrinkled they get weak.

I'm sorry I wasn't on sooner to help you - but Misty has been doing a great job.

You will need to pull her fur - her hormones should have made it loosen up so it can be pulled easily.

I find myself wondering if she has another kit stuck or something - which could cause her milk to not come in.

Now is the time you'll want to be reading that link I gave you about supplementing their milk...

However - try to pull fur from mama and then put her in the box standing over them. I like to put "treats" in the box to distract mama - like cheerios or something. Sometimes mama will stand there and munch on the treats and not be as nervous about the babies.

Those babies are at the point where they need to be fed asap.

we have 3 babies now. One was latched on to nipple and then turned away.trying to make leo comfy.
continuing to try. feeling so sad we lost two. but now working with others babies

Sorry, It was hard to explain! I couldnt figure what she was talking about long fur. I know its okay to have long fur while having babies. But I did tell her to check to see if momma pulled fur around her nipples and too see if any difference around that area for milk.. I couldnt hardly see the pictures. But Yes Peg is right! They need to eat! That is why I said you can hold momma don and make the babies to eat also!

Even experienced breeders lose babies - so don't feel too bad. Maybe we should've pushed you to make her nurse before but it was hard since we didn't know exactly how old they are.

Let's hope the third one will latch on again...

Awwe, When I had to held unto momma, My babies didnt eat that long, They ate maybe 3-4 minutes each. But yes, They need to eat. Sounds like they are getting weak.

WARNING: Do NOT use Hartz version of kitten milk replacer...go for the real brand.

Latest posts

Back