4H Rabbit Club

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingers_giants

Reaction score
So I attended our county fair over the weekend and was able to get in contact with the husband and wife that run the countys rabbit club. I told them that I was certified to be a leader and I was really interested in helping out with the club. They were really excited to have me join them, and then started telling me how they were looking for someone to take over the club for them because they arent able to do it anymore. So I said I would love to.

So starting in September I am going to start going to the meetings, and they are going to show me the ropes and then they said that once I am comfortable I can take over for them. I am really looking forward to it.

Is anyone else out there in the RO world 4H leaders? Granted I am certified to be one, but I have never been a leader in 4H before. Do you have any advise?
4Hers in the RO world...what types of things do you do in your rabbit clubs??

Thanks guys for letting me share, and any advice that you give :biggrin2:

~Ginger

Oh Ginger! That is GREAT news! You are going to be terrific as a 4-H leader! I did it for anumber ofyears, while my girls were involved. (Now I'm just an advisor). But I couldn't have an ALL rabbit group. We had kids that were afraid of animals. But we divided up into groups and everyone learned a lot because we were so diversified. (LOL! I even taught Rocketry and Aeronautics! LOL! It was hard staying one step ahead of the kids!)

But we had our Rabbit group that went all the way to State Fair with their projects and rabbits. (I was SO proud of them!)

Advice? Patience!

In my 4-H club, our leader has us do fun games that revolve around rabbit knowledge so it helps us to learn.

We also do Breed I.D. (guessing what breed the rabbit is just by looking at a picture) and practice Fitting & Showing. We have homework questions that we get at each meeting, and they are questions that we might get asked during a Fitting & Showing competition.

We also do presentations for the club, and then those presentations we do at County Fair.

We also do community service - such as taking the rabbits to a Senior Center; and we do food drives and other fundraisers to raise money for the club. This upcoming 4-H year we are going to host a 4-H rabbit show for our fundraiser.

Everything pretty much revolves around rabbit knowledge and learning new things.

Congratulations, by the way! You're going to have so much fun!

Emily

congrats!!

I am interesting in 4-H. I have a little daughter that I would love to get involved when she is old enough. She is almost 3 and I think they need to be 5 for the clovers right???

Rocketry and Aeronautics!!! Cathy..I must say I am VERY impressed lol.

Why werent you able to have an all rabbit group?? Did you happen to just be in charge of a General Group??

Thanks for you kind words about how I will make a great leader. That meant a lot to me. I am so excited and cannot wait to share things with the kids in the group. There is even a young girl in the group that raises flemish giants. I was able to talk to her at the fair and she said she remembered seeing me at PSARBA convention showing in open. I did remember her coming up to talk to me. They all seem like really nice kids and I am looking forward to being able being their Leader.

Thank you for the congrats:D

Yes I believe you are correct. I am 90% sure that they have to be 5 to join as a clover. I always think the clovers are so cute because they are always so proud to wear their 4H tshirts.

Thank you!!

I may have to hit you up for some ideas down the road.:D

The neat thing is for me..its the club I belonged to when I was in 4H when I was younger. So it really means a lot to me to be able to have the chance to be a leader of that club.

gingers_giants wrote:
Rocketry and Aeronautics!!! Cathy..I must say I am VERY impressed lol.

Why werent you able to have an all rabbit group?? Did you happen to just be in charge of a General Group??

Thanks for you kind words about how I will make a great leader. That meant a lot to me. I am so excited and cannot wait to share things with the kids in the group. There is even a young girl in the group that raises flemish giants. I was able to talk to her at the fair and she said she remembered seeing me at PSARBA convention showing in open. I did remember her coming up to talk to me. They all seem like really nice kids and I am looking forward to being able being their Leader.

LOL! Don't be too impressed... I kinda learned as we went along.

The group started out as a rabbit group, but then we "absorbed" 2 other groups that didn't have leaders... and one group of them were terrified of animals ( and so were their parents!) So we had to adapt.

One ofmy kids did a presentation onrabbit showmanship. Demonstrated handling and presentation. After the Demo, a few of the kids got to "hold the bunnies"... one kid got scratched on his stomach from the bunny's nails. Nothing serious, a couple of skinny red lines. Got a call that night from his father, screaming at me that his kid was going to get rabies from the rabbit. He was going to sue me...

As I said, have patience... I SO enjoyed the kids... (I still hear from my kids and some of them are in college!)

Thats so sweet that the kids keep in touch with you even though they are away in college.

Parents can be crazy, and it makes their children scared of EVERYTHING. Never a good thing.

My kids have been involved in 4-H for about 20 years and I judge a lot of 4-H rabbit shows. I was a 4-H leader of a 50 member rabbit club in Ohio. Currently my son Matthew (10) is in a rabbit 4-H group.

Keep it simple and keep it fun!

Pam

Our group just starting Rabbit Agility, begining clicker training.

Becknutt wrote:
Our group just starting Rabbit Agility, begining clicker training.
Have you checked out the Canadian Rabbit Hopping Club? They are a 4-H club in Calgary that does rabbit agility. 2 of the girls were looking a a rabbit project and decided on Rabbit agility.
You can contact them (e-mail is on the website) about how they started and if they have any advice for you.
I know that clicker training is not really used in the club as they found that it was not the best way to train the bunnies.
The club has been around for 7 or 8 years now, and the agility have been going on for about 3-4 years.

Stan (Pet_bunny) has taken some wonderful pictures of the girls are events.

gingers_giants wrote:
Wow that is REALLY cool. Thank you so much for sharing that with me :sunshine:
You're welcome. You should defiantly contact Rosemarie if you are interested in doing agility with your group. You would need to start slowly with a few jumps (preferably getting the kids to make them) and training the rabbits on harnesses and leashes. Building a jump is the building project for 1st year and 2nd year has to build another obstacle.

I have been in 4-H for 6 years now. My mom is the leader of our club. We just try to get everybody comfortable with thier rabbits and try to teach them as much as we can about all the aspects of rabbits. We also like to try to get as many kids as we can to attend different rabbit shows if they have purebred rabbits.

We also love to have fundraisers, like bakesales and what not. We always donate to our animal shelter and we love to adopt needy families for christmas. If we have extra money during summer we also go on little trips. Sometimes we go bowling or out for pizza. Once we even went to the water park. :)

Have fun with it! Its a great experience for the leaders and us kiddies. :-D

Latest posts

Back