12 Week Old Male Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Reaction score
My Male Holland Lop will turn twelve weeks old tomorrow. I keep hearing about the bunny hormone changes and I'm am just curious if anyone can give me ideas as to what might happen during this transition to his mood and behavior. He is set to be fixed toward the end of June. Is his sweet personality going to disappear for awhile? (Until he is fixed I mean)... Would love to read some stories about what other people experienced during this time with their own bunnies. :)

Depends on the bunny. With some, those changes are barely noticeable, if at all. Others go full out and exhibit all potential signs of hormonal behavior. Others are in between and in varying degrees.

Timing can also vary. Some show signs as early as 10 weeks, while I've heard of others not showing signs until 8-9 months of age.

Possible signs include grumpiness, growling, lunging, biting, spraying urine, excessive destructive chewing, fighting with other rabbits, aggression, forgetting potty habits, and/or excessive mounting.

My female bunny was a horror - humping and biting all the time and constant false pregnancies, peeing everywhere.. my male bunny I used to have though was a sweetheart throughout - you wouldn’t even know he had hit puberty. Like blue eyes said, it’s personal to each bunny, just like some human teenagers are stroppier than others!

Okay, that gives me an idea of what to look out for. Hopefully he'll be on the good scale but only time shall tell. Thank you both for your responses. :)

With my holland lop male, I didn't even notice a change but it depends on the personality.

He is about 12 Days away from being fixed now, and so far so good but I guess things can change at any time. I hope it keeps going good :)

Bunster is I think about 12 weeks as well and also a Holland Lop! I noticed overnight he suddenly was interested in biting cardboard where he was previously not interested at all.

Hazel gradually stopped his mating behaviour with my feet, circling and singing (honking) :) This took a few months. Apparently hormones hang around that long. He never lost his toilet training thankfully or sprayed but I got him neutered before any of that happened or could happen. He still honks when he is excited, play time or treat time. All bunnies are so different.

My intact male free range house bunny was an outdoor rabbit his first 2 years, for some months after he hit puberty I had to run for cover when letting him out of his hutch, he shot out spraying like a fountain, it sometimes dripped from the ceiling of his hutch, and a nearby doe changed the white parts of her fur to yellow.
That stopped completly, and for more than one year now he is a perfectly housebroken pet, didn't even have to bunnyproof anything.

oh dear!!!! maybe Bunster is not a male after all, I haven't experienced any spraying...yet..

Latest posts

Back