1 or a Pair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buns4Life_Cinder

Reaction score
Hey peeps, I was wondering what to do lately, I haven't had much time to spend with my rabbit , Cinder, and with school coming I will have even less. Since I'm in a lot of school related sport, I don't get home until 5, 5:30 and even then I have homework. So, what I was wondering was if I should get another rabbit to help Cinder not be so lonely. Cinder is almost 11 months old.She is a Havana breed and is almost full grown. What do you think I should do?

Is she spayed? Bonding is not usually an easy affair. Some bonds take months or longer. She is full grown already at her age.

Once she's spayed, she would need to bunny date some other fixed rabbits (like from a rescue) to screen for potential compatibility. Then you'd need to go through a bonding process. You would need to read up all about how that works. As I mentioned, it can take quite a bit of time and will also require much of your own time during the process. It sounds like you don't have the time now that would be needed to devote to a bonding.

Maybe you could focus more on creating more bunny-proofed areas for her to roam. The time when you are doing homework is an ideal time to let bunny hop about. You can do your homework in the same space.

Just be sure that while you're gone that she has plenty of space -- either a very large cage or attach an x-pen to her cage. Then you could also provide cardboard boxes and tunnels, etc for her to explore in that space.

Taking on another rabbit when you are about to be very busy isn't the best idea. Better to just work with providing more room for while you are gone and even while you are home.

This for the input. I know it sometimes takes months for a proper bond and I am already thinking about getting her fixed no mater what. Right now she lives in a huge x-pen in my room and gets let out in the morning while I'm getting ready and at night for a couple hours. I try to get her as many chew toys to keep her occupied but usually she lays in her fuzzy but doing nothing. I've been reading and researching on bonding rabbits for a year now and just need tp o wait for the right time and for my parents to agree. There aren't any shelters close to where I live, the closest one is 30 minutes at least. If I was to get another one I would adopt. Thanks for the input.

Since I have a ton of other animals the only space she can roam is in my room and I do take her outside when its an OK temp.

If I did get another rabbit I would wait till next year during the summer to bond them because I would have a lot more time.

A 30 minute drive would be more than worth it to go through a rescue. My nearest rescue is over an hour, but I would happily go twice that to work with a rescue and allow my bunny to "choose" his partner.

Bear in mind that it is not the case that 2 rabbits will always eventually bond. I have, on more than one occasion, had to exchange one rescue rabbit with another while trying to bond rabbits. Sometimes two rabbits just refuse to get along. That is why it is such an advantage to get the 2nd rabbit from a rescue that will work with you.

Otherwise, you could very well end up with two rabbits that won't bond and now have to be housed separately, exercised separately, fed separately.

If you wait until next summer to bond, that would be a great idea. Don't hesitate to take the drive to the rescue. Contact them ahead of time and let them know your intentions of bonding so they can be prepared and offer suggestions.

It's just I would like to take Cinder with me so she could pick her own friend because its a partners thing. So do u thk she would be OK with that long of a drive?

I also do lots of sports- and most basketball practices are right after school. I will also not get home until 5:30-6 some night. Then, like you said, there is homework. What I do to get my rabbits out is I will sit with them, in the outdoor pen we have, and do all of my homework there. That way I can get things done and give my bunnies attention. Multitasking at its best😉

I'm not worried about getting her out of her x-pen, I've already made some arrangements if that's what you want to call it. I'm more worried about during the day.

Most all of my rabbits have just chilled during the day -- even with the cage door wide open. The bulk of the day, they just lounge. It's not until evening (dinnertime and again later at night) that they are active.
First thing in the morning they are wanting their morning hay and greens.

So I don't think it's a worry that your rabbit is home alone during the day -- so long as he isn't in a tiny cage.

Latest posts

Back