The Life & Times of Felix 'n' Clementine!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been meaning to say that Bigby is just too fluffy and cute! It's great to see that they seem to be fine around one another!

About that - I spoke too soon. :p

Tonight Clementine was pretty aggressive towards Bigby. I heard her grunt for the first time. She'd get close to him and lunge forward a bit and grunt, and chase him a bit. She really wasn't enjoying his company.

Dangit. :(

Tonight I was looking over Bigby and noticed that one of his ears is sort of crusty on the outside, and has a whitish look to it. A quick Google search led me to discover that it's probably either mites or a fungal infection, my poor little bubba. We'll be heading to the vets ASAP to have him checked over. I'm frustrated that I didn't pick it up sooner, because I'm worried that having Bigby play in the bunnies' area, and touching all of them without washing my hands inbetween, will have exposed them to whatever's affecting his ear. Additionally, if it's a fungal infection I'll probably pick it up too. Score. :grumpy:

Not to mention, poor little Bigby's probably in a bit of pain and/or discomfort from this. I don't know how long it's been there before I recognised it, but I feel really bad about not getting him help sooner. I'm concerned about his health, potentially Felix and Clem's health, my health... argh. Giving him medicine is going to be a pain, too, he's a really wriggly fella. Took a few tries for me to get a good look at his ear.

Hopefully it'll clear up easily with a bit of treatment and you won't have to worry about Felix, Clem or yourself catching anything.

Let us know how it goes!

Don't beat yourself up over it. You've got a lot going on now in the house.

You were commenting on Clemmie not being as loving as before and I had a surprise last night and this morning, so maybe
the same will happen with you and Clemmie.. Lady hopped over to me after I got out of bed and into the hall way adjacent
to our bedroom where she sleeps at and has run of the hallway and bathroom, and started licking and kissing me!!! Oh my gosh..
All this since November 2013 which has gone from bites on the butt to this!!! I think the same will happen with you and Clemmie
keep working with her!

Vanessa

Oh no, Brooke! :( I'm glad she's doing better today. Thankfully Felix seems to have been unaffected, behaving normally and eating as normal.

Thanks ! Thank goodness finally she is after taking her to the vets and
getting cipriside, but I'm going to be like you and
keep an eye on these guys. I guess they think they are garbage cans..
they find anything that looks interesting, they are going to eat it like Felix
and Brooke did!!!

My dogs also get into the rabbit food and try to get into the older lettuce
and I think that is part of it also!

How is Bigsby? Have you called the vet?

Vanessa

Ahh, so cute that Lady is hopping over to give you kisses! I'm so glad to hear that! Gives me home that Clemmie might soften up one day too. :)

Bigby is doing okay. We'll get him in to see a vet on Monday - I need my partner to drive me there since I don't drive, and he's busy Friday/Saturday and we're both working Sunday. Times like this make me feel guilty for not yet having my license and a car, since it's Bigby's health that needs to get sorted. I feel like I'm not giving him proper care by not being able to have him see a vet as soon as possible. In the meantime, I'll keep him happy, full, and warm, and hope that he'll be alright until we can get him to see the vet.

I think he'll be alright until Monday, it's not like a serious injury or respiratory infection that can turn very bad quickly. :) My brother didn't have his licence for years either, I'm not sure why. He went for the test while still in school, then when he didn't pass the practical bit he just never tried again so he never got his learners until he was 25 or so. But he and his girlfriend(now wife) managed ok. It's so strange because I used to just catch buses or rely on bike riding everywhere, now I feel completely lost without a car.

It's a pain in the butt! I've failed three driving tests in the last year for different reasons, so I'm trying haha. I know how to drive, it's just small things (like perfecting different parking methods) that get me. Lessons are so expensive, too, so it's not like that helps.

More NIC grids arrived today! Bigby will be moving into his level above the buns tonight. When I get the chance I'll head to Bunnings and pick up some wood and dowels, and redo both areas of the condo to look a bit nicer and give them a bit more space. :)

I failed my first driving test for my P's, but only because I complained out loud to myself that I forgot to do something. The guy testing me heard, and wrote it up, but he hadn't noticed until I mentioned it. Haha, I hated myself for that. Fortunately I managed to pass the second one no problems, though I was extremely nervous both times.

That's exciting. I think if I find out that I'll be moving house, one of the first things I'm going to do is order some grids :D I'm so excited for cage building/planning!

It's annoying not being able to drive! I always feel bad too. I need bubs to drive us every now and then to pick up bunny pellets, hay, or litter, and as luck would have it all three come from different places! So it's quite a bit of driving, and I feel a bit guilty that bubs has to do it all, especially when he's tired out from being overworked at his job.

Hugs to you and Bigby. Hopefully what he's got is minor and not contagious. At least he's got new digs to look forward to. :p I'd LOVE to build the buns a NIC castle sometime, if only they weren't so expensive to get a hold of in NZ! Excited to see pics of your handiwork!

What a frickin' day.

Woke up to find diarrhea and soft stools in Bigby's cage. Freaked out, cleaned it up, made sure he was okay, and searched to see if he needed vet care ASAP. It seems as though it may have been a side effect of yellow capsicum which he started a few days ago, or of his ear infection, and he seems okay for now. He's eating normally, thank goodness.

Then I checked the bunny's litter tray and found some poops with a LOT of hair in them, trailing off into teardrop shapes, and even joining several together. Freaked out and groomed both of them, which they both hated (of course!), felt both of their bellies for hardness (both seemed okay), and now I'm watching them with eagle eyes. Neither of them are eating a lot but that might just be because they had pellets not long ago, but Clem is flat-out refusing more pellets from me. I can't figure out if it's because she's cranky from being picked up and groomed, or if she doesn't want to eat because she's got a belly full of hair or something. :(

Either way, I'm really concerned, and work needs me to come in for overtime ASAP. I'm going to hold off for a couple of hours so I can at least watch these guys until then and make sure they're going to be alright.

My thought with the hair ball type poops, is yes it's a bit of a warning, but they're still passing, which is the most important thing. Rabbit guts work pretty quick, so the fact that you groomed them will be a huge help and I'm sure they'll be alright. Bandit also refuses food when he's mad about something.

Hope Bigby is doing well too.

Just got back from the vet. Bigs has a nasty bacterial ear infection, but thankfully it's not fungal or mites, so no risk to the bunnies' health. Wasn't a fun trip for my little guy. The vet had to get some of the wax out of his ear, which had him screaming, and he screamed when his temperature was taken too. It was completely heartbreaking. :( On the plus side he seems healthy apart from his ear, tummy problems are probably just from new foods, so everything else seems alright.

He's now got ear drops, oral antibiotics, and an oral anti-inflammatory to take. The consultation was $110 including checking the wax under microscope, and meds were $105. Thank goodness for credit cards, I guess.

Wow, that seems like a lot, but I suppose it's better than having a sick piggy :) Hope he's feeling better soon.

He explained all the meds to me, and it sounds like a good plan - the eardrops are to attack the infection externally, and the antibiotics are to attack it internally, especially if he's not happy and shakes some of the eardrops out. The anti-inflammatory is to help him get a bit more comfortable while he's still healing.

On the plus side, since it's not contagious, it means we can start looking at getting a friend for Bigs. :) I'll wait until he's healthy of course, but since that should only take around 1-2 weeks to be completely back to normal, we can start organising some meets with piggies that need homes.

Felix and Clementine have developed this cute habit - whenever me or my partner stand in front of the cage and pay attention to Bigby, they stand at our feet and nudge us for attention. :D

Lol :) I guess all you really needed for those silly buns to be more friendly, was a piggie for them to be jealous of getting your attention :p

Yup! Today Clemmie even bit on my trackpants to try and get attention, dragged them around a bit. Maybe she was trying to drag me away from Bigs. :p

Little princess relaxing and showing off her booty. :laugh:

tumblr_na1f87L3181qadoszo1_500.jpg

Only a few days left of Bigby's medication. His ear externally seems to have improved a bit but that's hard to go by, since the outside is just waxy buildup from the infection. The vet said it would slowly come off naturally as he grooms himself, and it's definitely lessened, but there is still a bit there.

Latest posts

Back