sick bunny.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am so excited he is doing so well. Way to go Corkyand Way to go mom. I am just thrilled. Can't wait til we hear he's amdea complete recovery...which will probably be real soon at this rate. Iam so happy.

Tina

How's my punkin today, PuterGeekGirl??

-Carolyn

Well, here's the story....I feel kinda bad....Igot home last nite after working at the hospital and I normally wraphim up all snug in a towel ( I call him bunny bread cuz I wrap him upall tight like you would a loaf of bread and thats what he lookslike..I''m weird yes)...anyway..he wanted NOTHING to do with bunnybread last nite...so he layed down on top of the towel and ate a bitthat way..Gave him a big bunny salad and figured I'd check on himduring the nite and if he was eating it I wouldn'tsupplement....well... I DIDN'T WAKE UP TIL 5 AM!!!!! I guessI was SO exhausted from all this and I'm not nearly as worried/stressedso I actually rested!! I raced in there this morning thinkinghe'd be sulking or whatever...and EVERY last lil bit of bunny salad wasgone...and even the dandelion greens my son and his friend picked weregone!!! So I guess he was ok!!

Not sure if I'll run home today at lunch or not...I gave him med #1 andjust a very lil supplement food this morning...he didn't seem realinterested again...

So hoping thats a GOOD sign and that he's just getting enuff on hisown and doesn't need mom so much anymore!

After the bunny bread episode last nite he went in the playpen and Igot bunny butt... :( :( So after he decided to turn aroundagain I picked him up to cuddle him some more and then got bunnyKISSES!!!

So I think all in all its safe to say he's doing real well!!!

Bless his little heart. Eating, havinga mind of his own, getting frustrated with you, but forgiving you rightaway. :ele:

I just can't believe this little miracle man! :colors:

-Carolyn

I told him again last nite and this morning thatI'm real proud of him...and I know I helped but ultimatley he had to dothe fighting....and that I'm VERY glad he did/is!! :angel:

The two of you worked as a team. He never would've made it without you.

I just remember the most how you said that you'd spend whatever amountof money it takes to get him better; how you kept telling him how braveand strong he is, and how you never got anysleep or rest thewhole time.It seems as if he just didn't wanttolet you down orwas ready to leave you.

It's an amazing story, PuterGeekGirl. Even your husbandgetting you the angel from Corky was so sweet.Oncesomething like this happens to you, you never seem to stop worryingabout them or checking on them - ya know what I mean?AfterI almost lost my little ones,thereisn't a day that goes by that I'm not thankfulandgrateful for each one of them.

-Carolyn

Believe me, My Friend, I know exactly how you feel!

-Carolyn

:star::star::star::star::star:

You and Corky get 5 stars for not giving up hope and not giving up on each other.

-Carolyn

:highfive:Thanks much... I didn't go home forlunch today...he did so well last nite I thought I'd let him go theday...if he hasn't eaten much I'll supplement when I get home...if he'sdone ok we'll go outside for more fresh goodies.

My son made him a special bunny salad this morning...he chopped up ababy carrot and made a smiley face out of it on top of the greens! Wasfunny and cute!! Corky liked it tho...he started snarfin itthe minute we set him in there with it! :inlove:

We made it thru the day real well with out momcoming home, ate 95% of our baby salad!! But I think he was a bitpeeved at me! LOL! But quickly got over it!!!

I got up about 2 to check on him and he'd atesome of his bunny salad so I didn't supplement feed...by this morninghe had finished it all! Gave him a piece of parsley while wemade his bunny salad this morning and he snarfed it like he hadn'teaten in days!! Gave him his meds this mroning and no supplementfeed.....trying REAL hard to work those out and just go meds....doubtI'll go home today and check on him at lunch...we got some oats lastnite and added to his pellets...hubby said he ate a lil of that while Iwas at the hospital...so hopefully he'll get some more of that down.

He's SO thin right now.... :( :( but alive and for that I'mthankful....He's still not 100% himself...hoping that comes aroundsoon...I miss my lil man...but he's doing pretty darned good and forthat I'm very happy! (I think he mighta been a lil mad that I left withthat girl bunny last nite...told him just cuz I left with her doesn'tmean I don't love him...that when he gets better maybe he can go be atherapy bunny too!)

Gonna call the vet with an update today...as of right now he's to beseen again for a follow up Monday nite.

Any ideas on fattening the lil guy up? Would some calf manna maybe be good for him at this point?

He might be a bit weak from not getting enoughof nutrientsfrom his salads. I'd increase thepellets and the oats amounts and back off a bit on thesalads. Wouldn't give Calf Manna. I'd also startwith the NutriCal once a day again so that he gets some weight back onhim, boosts his system, etc. I know he hates it, but until hegets some weight and strength back, I do think it's the way togo. Will be curious to see what your vet says.Please keep us posted. Prayers and good vibes are sent out toyou and the little mon.

-Carolyn

Heh, I did the Nutri-cal last nite...I think hecleaned it off...theres some on his ear this morning...but his paw waspretty clean. I'm gonna ask vet what he suggests....he'seating the salads well, I'm a bit afraid to back off the salads toomuch and have him stop eating...so I'll see what he says and go fromthere. I'll be calling him in a few minutes. I think he'seaten some pellets, but not much. I may try the backin offthe salads this weekend tho when I'll be home more and can monitor whathe's eating. I'm just real afraid of a setback right now!

I completely understand your concern,PuterGeekGirl. Often times, if they have their salads, theywill eat that before anything else. Let us know what the vetsays. I'll be curious.

-Carolyn

Ok, he said keep on with what I'm doing...keephim eating, even if its the salads...he said the antibiotic is whatscausing the lack of weight gain...he's on a pretty high doseage ofboth..said he had a 6 week old bunny that was onthe newestone for a month and a half at one point and only gained anounce the entire time...but still turned out to be an 8lb rabbit. Nolong term affects with it....Still wants to see him Monday evening asplanned....he said between both meds and being very sick that its gonnatake him some time to bounce back. He's real happy withprogress though!

Great, PuterGeekGirl! Glad that youhad it answered and that we now know exactly why the weightloss. Thanks for the update. Kiss the littleMiracle Baby for me.

-Carolyn

Will do!!! He only has I think 3 pills left...ofthe real nasty one...(the one that was either gonna kill or curehim)...so hopefully the first of the week I'll see the rest of mynormal lil man emerge! Til then, we'll just keep pluggin away and makinsure he's eating!

I'll make sure he gets them extra kisses and cuddles....hopefully itwon't get to be too much for him...as he's already getting TONS ofem!!!!!

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
(I think he mighta been a lil mad that I left with that girlbunny last nite...told him just cuz I left with her doesn't mean Idon't love him...that when he gets better maybe he can go be a therapybunny too!)

Don't think he minds the kisses...just as long as you're not handing them out to anybunny else!

-Carolyn

Back