sick bunny.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowena

Reaction score
Your bunny is sick and doesnt want to eat? Anyone have any mash recipes for force feeding?

PGG's Corky isnt wanting to eat and I think she might have to force feed him. She's at the vets with him now.

I found some links on mashes, but just thought Id ask to see what anyone here has done?

Im worried bout her and her bun :( I want him to pull through for her, so Im hoping I can find some stuff for her to do.

He wouldnt even lick the nutri cal off his foot....

Virginia

Hi Virginia! Bunny had the sameproblem, and it was because of hairball blockage. The vetmade me force feed him 3 times a day with a mash made of pellets,pedialyte, and canned pumpkin. Also his medication went inthere too. It really worked and he turned out fine!Im sure the vet will take really good care of your baby. Dontworry!:pMe and Bunny wish you the best! Keep us atthe forum posted on his condition!

Hi Virginia,

Soak his pellets in water, making a slurry, and you can syringe feed it to her that way.

One of my rabbit's can't stand NutriCal, but I put it on his foot, sothat he can't flick it off, but he has to lick it off. It does work.I'd do the NutriCal and the pellet slurry if I were you.

Best of Luck, and Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Thanks! Ill let her know when she gets back. Iimagine the vet will tell her this lol But I wanna help her if I can.Wish I was closer to her.

So if you can, keep Corky in your thoughts. Poor little bun. Gets a cut, and now this :(

Virginia

kfonz and I were writing at the same time. :)

Kfonz gives great advice, and the canned pumpkin will give him thefiber necessary to push the ball through, if it is a hairball. You canalso give some fresh pineapple juice, which breaks down the hair. I'dsuspect the vet will take an Xray to see if there is a blockage.

The NutriCal has laxatone in it, and it's also a great aid in boostingtheir immune system, their appetite, and giving them the nutrientsneeded when going through not eating.

Don't know if poops have slowed down, but I'm sure that the vet will check the teeth too.

-Carolyn

Hi Virginia,

Didn't know Corky got a cut. If rabbits are in pain or stressed, some won't eat.

I will definitely say a prayer for Corky. Please let us know how itturns out. You're a Dear Friend to be helping out as much as you can.Friends like that don't come along too often.

:)

-Carolyn

I dont know if he's pooping or not. But she saidhe ate this morning, a little bit anyhow, but then quit and startinggetting lethargic again. She took him outside and he did nothing. :(

Hopefully, its just something simple, and that she can get him eating somehow and he'll be fine!

Virginia

Yea, he got cut on something and when she tookhim in to have it looked at, there was infection under it. So he's beenon antibiotics and was doing pretty good yesterday. More active andeating some. But he went downhill again today :(

We talk in chat everyday, PuterGeekGirl and I. She told me about this forum. She would do the same for me :)

Virginia

As you know, kfonz, Papaya or a papaya tabletwill also help aid in the breaking down and releasing of a hairball intheir system.

I wonder if it's the pain from the cut, an issue with his teeth, or a hairball - as it is molting season.

As the song goes, "...the waiting is the hardest part..."

-Carolyn

:shock: It's PuterGeekGirl????? :shock:

I love her! She's such a kind and loving person.

I haven't been on much and I'm answering PMs and skimming through posts that I hope I can give a bit of help to.

Please let us know how she's doing when she gets home. Oh, that poorgirl. She must be worried sick, but she did the right thing by gettinghim right to the vet's. Bless her heart.

They'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

He's going into shock. Vet gave him fluids and another cortizone shot, but I guess it doesnt look good :(

And I agree with you Carolyn. PuterGeekGirl is a very good person, andI really hope Corky pulls through for her. She loves him very very much

Virginia

Thanks everyone for the kind words andthoughts. Rowena, thanks for starting this threadand doing as much research and helping as much as you can from 1/2 wayacross the country....good friends are a rare find! ;)

Here's an update:

He made it thru the nite, which I was pretty suprised by...he wasbarely breathing several times yesterday evening. I made agoop out of mashed pellets and have been syringe feeding himthat..during the nite and again this morning. Hubby is homewith him right now and I'll prolly only work 1/2 day. He didseem more alert this morning and his eyes weren't so glazed over. Vetstill thinks we can turn him around....last nite I wasn't realoptomistic and even told Corky its ok if he can't fight anymore...thatI understand if he needs to go....that I don't want him to..and I lovehim....I'll do whatever it takes to make him better, I just hope itsenough. He got an iv of fluids last nite and another cortizoneshot. He was in shock and his temp was low. He'salso got a heating pad to lay on. Vet met us last nite at 9:00 at niteto do this stuff for him...he's not even an after hours vet. This guyis incredible.....I can't thank him enough....I just hope all we aredoing will be enough...I'm not ready to let Corky go...

Oh, I forgot to add, he was even cleaning himself this morning...I wasso happy to see that I cried...(I have done ALOT of that thisweekend!!!!)

Oh my God,PuterGeekGirl! Thisis terrible! I'm so worriedthat I'mshaking.What started all of this??

Signing off right now to go say a special prayer. You'll bein my thoughts and prayers all day long.

-Carolyn

Thanks what really stinks Carolyn, we don'tknow!!!! I noticed him bleeding Thursday nite...he'd had thewound for a few days I think..and I'm SOOOO mad at myself that I didn'tnotice it. I'm blaming myself for all of his pain...Doc didn't think itwas another bunny bite....so we have no idea. But he's about 3.5 lbsand the wound is now bigger than a quarterand the infectionran clear under his underside and up under his armpit, the wound isbehind is shoulder midway up his side. SO you can see why I'm beatingmyself up over not having noticed....it was buried in fur and no furwas missing from around it at all.

Hubby just called and he's at the vets right now...He had to drop Homeroff for his surgery and doc decided to keep Corky today and observehim. I'm leaving here mid day and will go to the vets officeand see how things are going.

Good God, Dear Heart, you've got a hard enoughrow to till right now. Don't blameyourself...please! I'm just sick over this. Soundslike the vet is being very thorough though.

My heart goes out to you more than youknow.

-Carolyn

Yes, this vet is a godsend...he has a bunnyhimself so he really understands...he knows I was torn up beyond reasonlast nite...he could tell I had been crying and about lost it againwhile we were there...Hes incredible!

This is just tearing my heart apart.Such a lovely person you are, and to hear and know that you and Corkyare in such great pain is heart-wrenching. If prayers andlove can save him, he'll be saved because he's got a lot going out tohim.

-Carolyn

Back