For the Love of Curls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hokankai wrote:
That was my first thought when I saw her do it. It's just so funny because Theo is very laid back and indifferent towards Ariadne for the most part and she's not, haha.

Submission on her part is a good thing right? I figure things will change once her hormones come into play, but I'm wondering how much will change if she's been with him since she was this young. We'll see I guess!

As an update, Ariadne is an adorable little spaz. She is very friendly and loves running around the living room, tearing up her phone book, tunneling behind her litterbox and under the couch. It's fun having laid back adult and a hyper/playful kit under the same roof :D

Yes submission is a good thing. And definitely I would expect a change from her wants hormones set in. Maybe more insistant for Theodore to notice here.

So thrilled they are both getting along. I knew Theodore would such a sweetie. Watched him with the other kits when they were even tinier.

And Ariadne sounds like she's having a ball. And liking her playmate Theodore.

Definitely sounds like all good news! So thrilled for all of you.

K:)

Did some more playtime today! I let them run around the living room together and then moved the barrier so they could go into Theo's room. Ariadne followed him around like a little fangirl and hopped around his cage. She still flattens herself around him and it's adorable. Some more progress, I closed Theo into his cage and Ariadne kept trying to get in there with him and would NOT go into her cage. So I put her in there to see what would happened and Theo was just like "Oh, hey" and munched away at his oat hey pellet things. No aggression AT ALL. Ariadne zoomed around his cage a bit and then I decided to put her back so she could eat some dinner.

Anyway, things are going great! I'm thinking that once they make the trek back home to in the car together they'll be pretty close and ready to be in one cage. I thought it would be better to keep them together right away so that all they know is sharing a home in their new environment.

WOW it's been a long time!

Ariadne is a little over 10 weeks now and has bonded to Theodore. She no longer submits constantly and there's no humping going on. Theodore is so chill that he hasn't minded her one bit, but she LOVES him. They travelled very well in the tiny travel cage from UT to WA and have been living together full time ever since. She'll be fixed as soon as she's old enough, so about a month and a half.

As for her fur, it's still as crazy as ever but in a different way. She started off curly and now has an incredibly soft undercoat feel. She's in the process of molting now. Her curls are gone (except for her cheeks) and she's grown a lion's mane. She also has mane-length "skirt" along the top of her flanks and around her rump. It's hard to explain but I've never seen anything like it. Her coat isn't normal either. It's not angora, rex, or standard. The hairs are slightly kinked, almost frizzy, and are whispy and soft...but not angora.

I'll have to post pics of her once I get a hold of a camera! Mine broke :(

Anyway, both of my bubs are doing great! I just had to take Theo in to get treated for ear mites, but he is doing well and both have settled in fantastically. I gotta say, there are a LOT of advantages to having a deaf adult rabbit living with a spry hyper bunny. His lack of reaction to scary things and overall calmness helps chill her out, and her curiosity and adventurous attitude helps draw him out to explore. It's so fun to see them together :D

Needless to say, I'm in love with them both...even when Ariadne feels the need to wake me up early in the morning with her hyper antics when it's close to breakfast time....haha

Here's Ms. Ariadne at 10 weeks old :)

photo17.jpg

Being a Diva

photo18.jpg

You can see her lion mane and her skirt, haha

photo16.jpg

photo19.jpg

She is gorgeous! From what ive heard astrex start out curly, then get straight hair and thrn when they shed into their adult coat they are curly again! She could be the worlds first astrex lionhead!

Good luck finding us! If you can't tell from the pictures our house is in the middle of nowhere, LOL.

I'm glad I decided to keep her and Theo together. I keep walking in on them laying side-by-side and it's just too adorable!

So some development on Ariadne's personality. She LOVES to climb! She always seeks the highest possible thing she can get to, and is always trying to hop from her cage up to my bed which is 2 feet up at least. Such a weirdo :p

Oh! And I've figured out why her fur feels weird...she has no guard hairs! It's so soft like it's all undercoat or something.

This little bunny is really keeping me guessing. She started out a cow-licked kit, turned into a lionhead teenager and has moved onto her next phase, the sleek young adult. She's in the middle of her first "big" molt at 6 months old and has lost all evidence of being part lionhead except for the tufts of fur on her cheeks.

Now she pretty much looks like a blue tort rex but with longer fur I believe. It is INCREDIBLY soft and feels like chinchilla fur. She also has kinked whiskers that appear brittle because some are pretty short. I'll take some pics once she's lost all of her shorter coat and no longer has a mohawk down her back, haha!

OH man oh man. I just read all the way through your blog and I have never seen another bunny with such an amazing coat! I'm sure you hear that all the time, but wow! She's like an angora-rex-lionhead mix :D What a sweet bun :hearts

Thanks! She's pretty great ^_^. I've been working on training her and within minutes of starting training she mastered the clicker and now knows the commands "Come here", "Kisses", "Up", "Spin", and "Touch" (I have a training target she touches with her nose) as well as being completely litterbox trained. She is very smart and has a little 'tude sometimes but loves to be pet. Her and Theo adore each other and it is very cute :)

I caved and took some pics! So here they are for your viewing pleasure. Sorry they were taken with my crappy cell camera. She seems to know her coat is a hot mess right now by the look she's giving me, haha!

downsized_0829122205a.jpg

her and Theo in their condo which they LOVE. I swear I could leave the door to their cage open all day and they would only come out for a few minutes at a time.
downsized_0829122212.jpg

Is that a hint of a cowlick I see?! I just looked at her and she has a little twist of fur between her ears. Dunno if it's been there or if it just grew in but...we'll see!
downsized_0829122210.jpg

Omg she is funny! What a doll. I wish I could feel that fur! :) that is really fantastic you started clicker training. Agnes kisses and comes when called too! It is so fun to see how smart these creatures are :)

I finally got the chance to get some more pics of Ariadne. She looks so ridiculous since she's nearing the end of her molt, haha! I think she knows it too by the look on her face.
photo83.jpg

photo82.jpg

First of all, this girl still baffles me! Her newest thing is having an overabundance of plush down now with the addition of spread out guard hairs. I have no idea what coat type she's trying to be...but it's not working very well. haha!
photo80.jpg

And I was right about the cow-licks coming back! The fur coming in on her face is silky smooth and has a slicked back appearance, meeting on her forehead to make a cool pattern (please excuse her crazy clumps of to-be-molted fur!)
photo81.jpg

Latest posts

Back