For the Love of Curls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not keeping a sibling, but she will be bonded with my Holland lop Theodore once she's spayed :). They've known each other since she was about 3 weeks old.

And yes indeed, her whiskers are curly :D

Here's a good view of her whiskers <3

DSCN3739-1.jpg

The dominance wars have begun!

I weaned the babies today, meaning I just moved mama upstairs until she gets spayed on Tuesday. Well I took them out to play in their pen and I heard a weird noise to find them all running in a circle trying to hump one another! Ariadne was particularly persistent until her sister Shasta sent her running. Shasta actually chased her and managed go get a mouthful of her fur! Poor baby. But I think the order has been set and Ariadne is in the middle :D

Also, I had an adorable discovery the other day when I was hand feeding them pellets. I was holding one a little high and she started honking! It was SO cute. I haven't been able to get her to do it again, but still...it was so cute.

Ariadne has one more week with her sibs and then they're headed back to the shelter!

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
I know I said my pet limit is two but I can't resist this bun...... However with how darling this bun is I still have "bunny-x" to think about. Of course this baby and "bunny-x" are in no way interconnected :)

lol, muddying the waters. Seen this type of action before.

Stay SAFE CURLS!

K:)

hokankai wrote:
The dominance wars have begun!

I weaned the babies today, meaning I just moved mama upstairs until she gets spayed on Tuesday. Well I took them out to play in their pen and I heard a weird noise to find them all running in a circle trying to hump one another! Ariadne was particularly persistent until her sister Shasta sent her running. Shasta actually chased her and managed go get a mouthful of her fur! Poor baby. But I think the order has been set and Ariadne is in the middle :D

Also, I had an adorable discovery the other day when I was hand feeding them pellets. I was holding one a little high and she started honking! It was SO cute. I haven't been able to get her to do it again, but still...it was so cute.

Ariadne has one more week with her sibs and then they're headed back to the shelter!

Congratulations on doing such a good job with these babies. I bet you will be thrilled to hand these babies over in a week and be able to bond with Curls and Theodore.

How's Theodore doing? I bet he can't wait until these babies are gone. And it's just him and Curls having you all to their selves.

K:)

Theodore is doing great! He's a grumpy little man-bun and it's hilarious. He's shedding right now, so I have to take him out every other day to brush him and get rid of some of the fur. He hates being picked up, so that's annoying, but once I have him he's very good. I've been hand-feeding him veggies as a reward for letting me pet him, so that's been making him more friendly as well.

He LOVES the babies! I had them separated in the rabbit room and they were trying to figure out ways to get through the pen, haha. He's not allowed to play with them anymore since they're starting to get hormones and I don't want him humping them relentlessly...

Here are her nearly 6 week old pics. Her curls are transforming into frizz, haha. She still has some on her cheeks, but I think she might be losing her curl. That's okay though :D. I'm interested to see what her adult fur will be!

mms_picture-4.jpg

mms_picture3-2.jpg

mms_picture2-2.jpg

Her whiskers are still wonky though!
mms_picture1-1.jpg

Well she definitely has rex whiskers, but the coat does not look like a rex. So it's either just some genetic permutation that resulted in a botched coat, or she has a rare coat type.

Either way really, she ended up with a rare coat type. Too friggin cute!

I have no idea what her type is, as her father and her genetics are a mystery!

Thanks for those who read, it's been fun posting pictures of her growth.

Today is the big day! Her mom and sisters head back to the shelter and I'll be filling out the adoption packet :)

And the bonding has officially begun! I decided to start now since Theodore is neutered and Ariadne will be spayed as soon as I can do it. They're housed separately, but I'd like them to be comfortable and playing with eachother so the transition to one cage isn't a big deal. They've been playing off and on since she was 2 weeks old, and actually came to me the same day...so it'll be cool to see how things develop.

Yesterday was the first time I let them play for a couple of weeks. There was no humping, and Ariadne would follow Theo and then bolt away like a spaz. I decided to put them in the tub and there was a lot of humping, dashing away, and then Ariadne just got stressed so I put them back.

Today I saw some interesting behavior that I'd like some information on if possible. I brought Theo out into the living room where Ariadne's cage is and let them run around. She's still doing the sneaking up and dashing away thing, but she also will lower herself to the ground while following him. When he turns towards her she completely flattens herself besides her ears and just sits there. She did it a couple of times and I thought Theo was going to hump her...but he didn't. She stayed there completely still for a couple seconds after he hopped away, and then followed him around again.

He also hopped his way into her cage (she's played in his cage before when she was younger) and there wasn't any sign of aggression from either one of them. In fact, Ariadne did her weird flattening thing, Theo licked her ear and hopped away, and Ariadne hopped after him after he left the cage.

I suspect this means things are going well, but I've never bonded two rabbits let alone an adult and a kit before...so any insight would be great!

That was my first thought when I saw her do it. It's just so funny because Theo is very laid back and indifferent towards Ariadne for the most part and she's not, haha.

Submission on her part is a good thing right? I figure things will change once her hormones come into play, but I'm wondering how much will change if she's been with him since she was this young. We'll see I guess!

As an update, Ariadne is an adorable little spaz. She is very friendly and loves running around the living room, tearing up her phone book, tunneling behind her litterbox and under the couch. It's fun having laid back adult and a hyper/playful kit under the same roof :D

Latest posts

Back