Zeus is flemish and ... what?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I can see the flemish in Zeus with his head size and his legs and feet. But we think he is a mix because his ears just don't seem to be flemish. One ear lops - but we've been told it was because he had a case of ear mites that was really bad.

However, I've got to say that after watching his actions tonight, Robin and I both suspect he might have some lop in him. Its hard to explain - but he hops up like a lop and he has much of the um....destructive curiousity of a lop. I didn't explain that right...but just...anyway.

Here are some photos. I really think the ears might help us figure this out....his fur is also different than Tiny's was....softer - almost like a different type of coat. Rex (probably not)?

Sorry for having so many pictures but I really wanted you to see his head, ears and body shape. I'm guessing he's 13 or 14 pounds (he feels heavier than Tiny who was 13 pounds and 3 ounces at the end)....I'm hoping to take him to a vet early this week just to get an accurate starting weight on him.

Peg

OMG a lop and flemish cross?! You know we said he's gonna be like Yofi! :D

I noticed his big feetsies when you were holding him. He looks like a big baby being carried.

Soft hair - that's interesting. I get it tho. Tony's hair is more of a coarse hair like some dogs have vs. the soft hair that like a collie would have.

I'll be anxious to hear the thoughts as well.

I noticed from the first photos that he didn't appear to be pure Flemish.

It's hard to speculate on the ears as to whether he could have Lop crossed in. He may just have a weak ear base.

Years ago, English Angoras were crossed into many lines of rabbits (even breeds such as New Zealands). This was done to improve coat density (whata nightmare!). The English Angora lack thick ears and also carry their ears in a "V" - this may have contributed to weak ear bases in many breeds.

I have seen many erect earred breeds drop their ears. Could have been from illness, parasites, temperature or weak ear base.

He reminds me of a New Zealand x Flemish cross. Maybe American crossed in (but they are very rare).

One thing for certain - he's very handsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pam

Thanks Pam. I knew he had a bad case of ear mites and that caused him to lose ear control.....so I didn't suspect lop because of that - it was more because of his personality and activity level. I know he's younger than Tiny was (he's about two years old) but his activity level is almost like a 6 month old. Such joy.....(well...sorta).

What really confused me was his fur. It feels so different It reminds me of the astrex furred lionhead I had....although it isn't astrex fur. Its really different - much softer (almost like a baby coat on a lionhead but still softer than that).

I'm thinking that what you said made sense....if an English Angora was crossed into a NZ and then that was used with a flemish to produce him.

No matter what he is - he's definitely loved. And he sorta has the flemish personality....with a bit of mischieviousness thrown in.....

Should make life interesting.

I'm not gonna tell him he's a mixed breed though....I'll keep telling him to "act like a flemish".....otherwise he might think he can get away with some of the antics he's been trying...

Peg

Hmmmmmmmm - now you are making me contemplate a Rex x New Zealand mix????????? Not out of the realm of possibility for Rex breeders trying to improve their Rex body type. Does the coat actually have a slight wave to it as it appears in the picture?

Zeusmay remain an enigma ;)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Hmmmmmmmm - now you are making me contemplate a Rex x New Zealand mix????????? Not out of the realm of possibility for Rex breeders trying to improve their Rex body type. Does the coat actually have a slight wave to it as it appears in the picture?

Zeusmay remain an enigma ;)

Pam
I've had half rex/half lionhead mixes before and his coat kind of reminds me of that - but still not the same.

If I remember right - a rex is almost like velvet? This is more like velvet with some substance to it. I'll pull him out of his pen later and look at his fur more.

I'm trying to figure out how to explain it.....when I held Tiny it felt one way (the fur) - but holding Zeus is so different - almost like holding a plush velveteen stuffed toy or something.

At first I assumed it was because he is white - I know that REW lionheads often have a different feel to their fur than the other lionheads. But the more I think about it - the more I wonder.

The other thing that surprises me is his agility for a 2 year old flemish. Sorry....but I didn't think a 2 year old flemish would be this active his first day or so in his new home.....like jumping a 2 high NIC panel gate....or jumping (with ease) a 1 high NIC panel cage to get on the top and pee on the buck below.

The ease with which he jumps just makes me wonder what else he would be - like another breed that is more active?

It really doesn't matter in the long run and I'm sure you're right - he's definitely an enigma.

But it would be nice to know so I could read about the other breed and understand him a bit more (and figure out if I have to take everything 3 or 4 NIC panels high...).

Peg

Maybe these closeup shots would show his fur better? I'd used the others to show his ears and body type...

Peg

That second photo makes me think Rex head - but that's just me.

I had thought of the angora cross in there too but it was just guessing on my part and I didn't say it. I didn't know if his fur would be "fluffy" feeling like that.

Peg, is it like a cat? not a long haired one but like a really healthy soft cat? Or like soft and silky people hair?

Rex rabbits are like velvet. You can run your hand lightly over the tips and almost not feel it.

Bo,

He isn't really like that. It's hard to explain.

I understand that Rex fur is like velvet...to me that is soft to the touch.

This has more "substance" to it. Not suede (I don't know my fabrics well)...but it is softer and yet stands up more. I'll have to pull him in my lap in a bit and run my hands over him to get a better description.

Its more like velvet but standing up more. I wish I could describe it.

His energy level doesn't seem to be flemish....and the way he moves is not so much flemish...I mean.....

I'm trying to understand the fact that Tiny was 3 and this guy is 2 and that's gonna be a different energy level. But its more than that. I am wondering if I'm gonna have to make his NIC pen 3 levels high because he jumps to the second level and holds on (at least he did that when trying to get into the rabbitry - he sorta jumped - held on and then pushed himself over into the rabbitry.

I guess I'm asking because whatever other breed might be with him (if we can figure it out)....I want to read about them and understand him more (so I can protect the house if nothing else!).

I'm hoping to take him outside later today and get some videos of him if he runs around a bit.....that might help too...I don't know.

Whatever he is - he's my dollbaby....even if he winds up making me crazy....

Peg

So you won't choke me if he turns into Yofi x 2? :D;)

I just love him, I can't tell you how or why but I just do.

I understand about the personality and movement. We had a holland lop here one time and he moved SO different than Bo. It was more of a "roll" than Bo's.

Personality was different too....

Bo B Bunny wrote:
So you won't choke me if he turns into Yofi x 2? :D;)

I just love him, I can't tell you how or why but I just do.

I understand about the personality and movement. We had a holland lop here one time and he moved SO different than Bo. It was more of a "roll" than Bo's.

Personality was different too....
Of course I'll choke you. You're the one who said, "Wouldn't it honor Tiny's memory to adopt from a shelter?" and got me thinking about the possibility.

You're his GODMOTHER....

Yofi X 1 is interesting enough - but Yofi X 2?

Still yet - I did have a feeling that Yofi...uh...I meant ZEUS.....was sent to teach me "joy"....

Or maybe it was paranoia?

I forget..

Peg

LOL! So do Godmothers have to replace broken and chewed items in the house of the Godbunny? :shock::p

I think he's going to teach you joy, and patience (with bonding) and not to sweat the small stuff like chewed cords and bunny poo trails down the hallway..... and ...

hehehehe Told you I thought he was going to be a character!

Peg,

Good rex fur will stand up to the pressure of your hand. It is very

dense and usually you will not leave a handprint when you touch it.

Roger

From reading your description, it could indeed be a Rex mutation - does it sort of remind you of a sheep coat?

Since he's so active, maybe there's some Belgian Hare in there also :biggrin2:

Pam

pamnock wrote:
From reading your description, it could indeed be a Rex mutation - does it sort of remind you of a sheep coat?

Since he's so active, maybe there's some Belgian Hare in there also :biggrin2:

Pam
Thanks Pam.....NOT! (I can tell there is no Belgian Hare...I think).

I wonder if he's been getting into Art's energy drinks?

Would watching him hop make any difference?

I'm sort of sitting here dying laughing.

I once had three mini rex/lionhead mix rabbits. They drove me up the wall. When Rosie mentioned to me she was adopting some mini-rex, I was like, "Why?".

I've not been a fan of the rex or mini rex (in spite of their soft fur).

So....I was never gonna adopt a white rabbit.....

I wasn't gonna get a rex...

Yep...I'm 2 for 2.

With all that said - Zeus is already working his way into my heart. Its confusing to me because he is so much different than Tiny in some ways (and like him in other ways). But I really think it is because he is a mix and if I can understand the "other" breed - I hope to understand him better.

I went outside to bring him in and he kept hopping away from me. I crouched down - held my hand out - and he pancaked down and let me pick him up.

I told someone last night - we're about 1 1/2 months - 2 months into the bonding process if I compare it to my experience with Tiny....I would spend anywhere from 1.5 - 3 or more hours per day laying on the floor with a book to get him to trust me and let me touch him. Zeus generally lets me pet him (unless he wants to go pee on a buck).

Oh well - best go back to check on him...he's in the living room....well....he was when I left there...

Peg

:shock2:pEG! Not liking my little bunner mini-rexies!?! Shame on you!

LOL!

They are kinda rotten....

That video didn't work very well for me but from what I Could see, Zeus hops a lot like Tony. It's sort of a short stride but then they sort of roll on their feet or something.

He hops a lot like Oberon. Who also has a slender face for a NZ, but that seems to be common in the non-show NZ's around here. I vote for NZ-flemmie cross!

And yes, I think the best way to describe Oberon some days would be "destructively curious." Oh my poor carpet, and blankets, and...

Seeing Zeus firsthand.. his structure reminds me of my NZ-Flemmie cross, but his eyes are grey/blue.

When I touched and petted him, his fur LOOKS kinda unkept, but when you touch him, its like touching a showrabbit who has been fed alot of the conditioning stuff... just really uber soft, and good flyback. I also noticed his fur definitely seems to be thicker than my NZ/Flemmie cross.

Around his nose he has a few hairs that are tipped with black/grey...

He definitely has a look all his own.

Even more of a mystery - I assumed he had red eyes.

The blue-gray eyes and tipped hairs could actually indicate he's a dilute"frosty" genotype.The non-extension gene of the frosty could very well have come from Rex, Satin or New Zealand Red.

The plot thickens . . .

It would be so cool if we could find out what he really was to see if we are anywhere in the ballpark with our guesses.

Pam

All I can say is - I LOVE LOVE LOVE holding him. He's sooooo soft. His fur feels so different.

I never know how to discuss the coats and stuff so I'm no good at that.....I'm glad Zin got to see him and feel his fur.

Think I'll go back and pet him some more 'cause its addicting....

Peg

Back