Yesterdays News cat litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntloser

Reaction score
Hi ,

I picked up some of this to try instead of the feline pine.. fresh scent softer texture..

Is it okay.. I also think the bunnies are eating it..

Worried

I've never used Yesterdays News, but two of my rabbits ate Carefresh a lot so I had to switch. Now I use wood pellets that are just like Feline Pine, but they're only $5 per 40 lb bag at the feed store.:biggrin2:

I use Yesterday's News, and sometimes my bunnies nibble on it (a little is ok for them to eat). If they're eating a lot of it, you may want to switch back to your previous litter. However, I only use unscented--I wouldn't suggest using the fresh scent.

Kathy

I havent had any trouble with the fresh scent although I often wonder. I switch between fresh scent and regular.

If the buns are nibbling, try buying a stitching screen to put over it. You can get them at most craft stores, like Michaels, for a few bucks. Then you can cut it to be the size of your litterbox. The pee will fall through and poops stay on top for you to dump out. Keeps buns from digging and eating the litter :)

Those naughty babies ... always nibbling. I am going to pick them up an nibble on their ears. :)

I always used feline pine and other pine pellets.. But thought I would give this a try.

I use it to and really like it. I also get the unscented kind. I don't think I have ever seen my buns eat it. I do put some hay on top so they can snack on that while in there. If you find them eating it you could try that so hopefully they will eat the hay and not the litter.

I don't use Yesterday's News because of a horrible experience with a poor shelter bunny.

This beautiful Jersey Wooley had a blockage, I remember the staff tried oval, fluids, etc because they assumed she had consumed her fur. The poor gal died, and the necropsy showed that she ate the yesterday new's litter, and it had formed into a ball in her stomach which she couldn't digest.

But please don't let this story influence you for the bad! We also had a shelter rabbit die while choking on hay in the middle of the night, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't take hay away from my rabbits.

PixieStixxxx wrote:
I don't use Yesterday's News because of a horrible experience with a poor shelter bunny.

This beautiful Jersey Wooley had a blockage, I remember the staff tried oval, fluids, etc because they assumed she had consumed her fur. The poor gal died, and the necropsy showed that she ate the yesterday new's litter, and it had formed into a ball in her stomach which she couldn't digest.

But please don't let this story influence you for the bad! We also had a shelter rabbit die while choking on hay in the middle of the night, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't take hay away from my rabbits.

I can't help but let that influence me. That sh*t is gone and they can have some newspaper until PetSmart opens.

You know.. I usually dont talk about this stuff to strangers but just the thought of it had my eyes welled up with tears.

I had a dream earlier this week that one of the buns died. I remember it very clearly. I was in a hotel room with my BF and I went into the room across the hall and Jasper (my bunny) was lying on a mat with a little boy. Jasper was acting wierd and got up and jumped in the pool. I remember thinking how cool it was he was swimming. I looked for Madison the other bunny but she wasn't in the cage that was in there. I looked in Pool and there she was dead at the bottom of the pool. I started crying and looked back in the cage and there was a dog in there.. also dead.. and I remember thinking good glad they were able to take the dog out. IN the dream it seemed the dog was responsible for killing madison.. oh it was so awful and it is still sooo vivid..

Oh this is just awful I know everything dies but now I am fixated on it and feel terrible. I really have no idea what is going to happen when the buns pass away. :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

This was just one bad incident compared to the hundreds of good experiences people had with Yesterdays News. I know it can be a little uneasy, but I would only take the litter away if you know that your rabbit is eating it. Watch closely if they are nibbling, and if they aren't, then don't be too worried.

I'm sorry if I made your upset in any way :(

I am glad you told me. I am feeling much better now. It is really that awful dream. It is the cause of my melancholy. I am still amazed how much it has affected me. Ive been worried and pre-occupied with the buns getting sick.

I completely understand! I'm a paranoid bunny mom too. I overreact over the tinyest things. I'm sorry you had that dream - I've had similar dreams of past pets from when I was younger. They're terrible =[

I use it. Don't let your bunnies eat it. My two rabbits tried eating it until I got them new litter boxes like this:

2j0jfps.jpg

I put back in the yesterdays news after realizing I re-acted way too emotionally... But I am worried that they have been eating it. I thought it was made from paper and paper was okay... like cardboard...

How can I tell if my buns have blockage? There seems to be lots of poop happening.

I am not sure if my nose has been clogged up but, yesterdays news seems to eliminate odor way better than any of the pine products. Infact the pine products have a foul smell on their own...

But I have since removed the yesterdays news.. now their potty box is full of hay until I can get the screen covering..

Latest posts

Back