Yep, the Toilet :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agnesthelion

Reaction score
So guess where Agnes jumped this morning?!!? Yep, the toilet!

Agnes has a bathroom in her "apartment" (what we jokingly call her area) and I've always tried to keep the lid down and have wondered what a fright it would give her if she jumped in. I always envisioned it like what a cat does, instant scampering to get back out.

So our bunny sitter must have left the lid open and Agnes jumped in. It was hysterical because it didn't bother her in the least!!! Haha she just sat there, like "well this is new, but kinda refreshing" she didn't jump, act scared, nothing. She literally just sat there! Thank goodness the water was clean!

So i go to lift her out and thats when she jumped out on her own. I picked her up and cuddled her and dried her off with a towel. Still the whole time giving me what-is-the-big-deal looks. Hahaha she cracks me up!

So is your bun bothered by water??

Oh my goodness! Thats hilarious! Some of our bunnies don't really like water, and some are okay with it as long as they don't get too wet. As far as toilet swimming, we haven't tried that :)

Maybe Agnes had something on her bum that you didn't see and she just wanted to do the right thing and get it off! That is too funny though!
My bun doesn't mind water. She's gotten a few butt and foot baths and doesn't protest too much.

At least now you know, that you could give Agnes a bath and she would probably be fine!

I guess I just assumed all rabbits hated water! But Agnes sure doesn't either :) so funny.

Whenever I've sprayed my bunnies to keep them cool, they haven't appreciated it at all, haha. Whenever I've given Jessie foot & bum baths (she's terrible for standing/sitting in her mess), she's always tried to jump out. I end up having to lean over the bath, half cuddling, half restraining her. I get more water on me than she does on her.

My dutch wasn't too bad with baths, my elop doe got a butt bath the other day and she hated every minute of it!

My fiance also said Harold tried to escape when he gave him his bath to try washing off his excess molting fur.

I have never given my rabbits baths. It is not good for them. They can get really sick from being wet. It is also terible on their fur. For grooming I spray a light mist of Show My Fur on them. https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/brcom.html.

I've given Cosmo a bath once, and that was only because the cat knocked apple juice all over Cosmo's fur. He did NOT appreciate it and ignored me for a good two days after. I felt so bad but I didn't wanna leave his fur sticky lol :(

Glad she's okay!
The water in the toilet bowl isn't technically "clean" like the water in the tank is (unless you haven't used the toilet since its last good scrub) so do keep an eye on her for any digestive or other issues.

ldoerr wrote:
I have never given my rabbits baths. It is not good for them. They can get really sick from being wet. It is also terible on their fur. For grooming I spray a light mist of Show My Fur on them. https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/brcom.html.
Yes, this is what I've always heard too. (Though butt baths are ok, if needed). I've also never given any of my buns a full bath.

“Even an occasional bath is quite stressful to the average rabbit, and is not recommended. NEVER--unless your veterinarian advises it to bring down a fever--should you give a sick rabbit a bath. Because seemingly healthy rabbits can have undiagnosed problems, it's best not to subject them to the stress of a bath. If your rabbit is very badly infested with fleas, there's a good chance that he is already compromised and may go into shock when bathed.” (taken from: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/groom.html)

Nevertheless, jumping in a toilet is rather comical -- I bet Agnes was surprised!

I totally agree that bathes are not recommended for rabbits. I think that is why I was so surprised at her reaction. I don't think she was shook up in the least.

But believe me there are no more toilet bathes in Agnes's near future at all.

As far as the toilet, believe it or not, and this is completely true, we NEVER use that toilet. I only flush it or clean it to keep stains and stale water out of it. No joke! So hopefully she is fine :)

I still just keep cracking up at her chilling in the toilet. Photo op if only I had a camera, haha.

So what? You've never herd of a bunny spa before? We put blue tape on the inside lid with the words, please close before flushing. I'm a bit of a germaphobe anyway.

Awh, thats both funny and yet I feel bad for her :p
My bun had a bath once when I found her because her fur was covered in dirt and mud and as well I was trying to soften the mats so I could cut them out. She didn't mind and rewarded me with kisses when she was done.

Such a sweet bun. :)

Haha oh believe me for a split second I was in heart attack mode. My Agnes girl! My Agnes girl! But when I rushed in there she was just sitting there with NO expression of fear or displeasure on her face I couldn't help but laugh :)

This story is fantastic! I have freaked out too at first, but HOW FUNNY! I've never even heard of this happening before. It made me laugh aloud :D Glad she's ok!

About the baths, animals can be trained to tolerate things they don't like. We had a cat who enjoyed bathing and water. And I feel that it would be important to at least get them to a point where they aren't massively stressed about baths just in case it IS recommended for a fever. If the say your "healthy" might have problems aggravated by the stress, wouldn't a bath aggravate the symptoms of the illness causing the fever? When my dutch was awfully bucky, we had to wash the scent off of him in order to keep him (I'm so allergic, my face swells) and he was desensitized to a hairdryer so that he was NEVER put back wet! He liked it, and it never seemed to cause him any distress.

Gary likes to play in his water dish, even sit in it! He hasn't had any ill effects, but it is always on his own terms.

I did have a special needs bun that I had to bathe once a week because baby wipes only do so much. The vet said a bath was better than letting the pee stay on him. He didn't really struggle and I made sure to snuggle him after, he generally fell asleep in my arms. He was always completely dry before I put him down.

It's funny how there is such a wide variance of behaviors. Over the years we've had 8 Doberman's. They are not water lovers like a Labrador, but I had one that would chase a stick or ball anywhere and became very adept at swimming. Two others would go in and out of the pool to cool of and or drink. Dogbert was the strangest of all--he absolutely loved the water and we had to keep the gate locked or he'd let himself in and go swimming, in February. He'd also dive under water to get things we'd throw in the pool and didn't want to be left out of any family activity.

Latest posts

Back