Yay i pee on my food.... sad face from mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantaysah

Reaction score
Pepper was good about being tidy until sugar came along... shes a pig and nasty pig at that!!!! she sits in her food bowl and pees... i have to change the food several times a day cause its swimming in the bowl... they have a littler box with hay that's got the food bowls wedged into the corner (food bowls are in between cage side and litter pan) so she could easily eat from there but shes using the food as a bed too... she shoves her fat booty into the tiny bowl instead of eating from the litter pan... i have tried moving the litter pan, moving the food, new bowls and everything... poor pepper is following behind her as i caught them both doing it today!!!! how do i get them to not pee on their food? and will eating their pee which they don't seem to mind hurt them?

I've only had a bunny since january so my experience is quite limited and we've never had a peeing in food issue...

But when I was reading your post I thought about maybe you could try one of those hooded like bird crocks that attach to the side of a cage? And maybe attach it where she can only get access when IN her litter box? And since it's hooded and attached to the side of the cage... She couldn't get in it and pee? Like I said I've never tried this and have no idea whether it would work or not... Just something that came to mind while reading your post.

I really hope you can figure something out soon!

Are they fixed? Everyone keeps saying "if they're fixed it wil help this and help that" I sure hope so bc I just got a male fixed and he's a terror but that's besides the point lol how big or small is the cage? Maybe you can find some kind of food bowls that you can put up higher and maybe tie or connect to the cage? Or tie everything down for that matter? Lol

If you make it impossible to pee on their food it'd probably be the best idea.

And definitely get them fixed. If not for the peeing thing, for their health. ;3

They are still babies like 8 weeks old. They are small so i think bowls that attach higher will not be reachable but i can try. Pepper can still fit in your hand and sugar is only a little bigger. The cage is pretty small case for one bun but since they are tiny pepper can squeeze through the 1x1 inch squares on my condo i built. I didn't think it would be good to separate them when in 2 weeks pepper should grow enough for the big cage

What about a smaller food bowl? Something shallow and small, like a peanut butter jar lid. You might have to fill it a few times a day, but they shouldn't be able to pee in it.

I tried a bowl that was really shallow like a mayonaise lid but sugar dumped it everywhere and they were walking all in it. They poop and per everywhere like any spot is good so it ended up peed on anyhow. In going to try to find bowls shaped like the one for birds where u have a half lid that's domed so they can't sit on them.

where did you get sugar from? normally there mum teaches them not to pee in their bowl so this could be a sign she was taken away from her mum to early. i have no proven way of how to stop this but mabey you could encourage her to pee in the bowl and then just fill it up shavings and put the food in somthing different hope this helps xx

why would i not like her ?I don't dislike her. I just dont like her eating pee food. I doubt i would be trying to fix the issue if i didn't like her :( anyhow she was with mom long enough i believe but she's just messy i guess i rigged the bowls to hang at an angle from the side of the cage .... hopefully its angled enough she can't sit in it.. if not i guess making that bowl into a litter box is next... on a good note she has decided she likes her meds so no more fighting there!

Oreo was a food bowl pisser. When we got her she was about 7weeks 8 weeks or so. I just dealt with it. Ended up putting another food bowl in there. I would put food in both bowls (one a little less) and hope she used the one with the less food for pee pee time. She eventually out grew it and started using the potty where she needed to. Except for now... she's digging her litterbox to a bare nothing! But thats okay... this too shall pass LOL

LakeCondo wrote:
I'm sure Sugar is picking up on the fact that you don't like her. It becomes a vicious cycle.

Not sure how this is a helpful comment, lakecondo...:confused2:

Do you have a useful suggestion for stopping the food bowl piddling that you'd like to share?

Fantaysah, I have the hooded/bird like food dispenser for my buns, and I also hang the hay from above... keeps buns from pooping on their lunch... you could post some photos of your setup to help us come up with some strategies :)

I am pretty sure the PROBLEM would be that she came from a Guy who breeds for meat and they are 10-15 rabbits in a cage just crawling over each other with no real place to pee/poop except on each other. therefore she just didn't know better. She poops everywhere but pees i think just in th bowl since its drowned... i mean how much pee can a tiny bun make? I will try to get a good pic to post in a minute

You have tried so many things I don't really have any suggestions. I just wanted to encourage you to keep thinking. Buns can humiliate us with how smart they are. I think the count was about bun 50-human 1 before I got them to stay in their room. Then again, they have all day to plot and think about it. :p

17139_181805_290000001.jpg
17139_181805_290000000.jpg
here is the current setup... I also have made this cage ...... VVVVV
17139_090246_510000000.jpg
But i can not put them into the condo yet as they fit their heads through the 1x1 inch squares and i am worried they will get hurt.

tilting the bowls has helped a little. also they don't sleep in the house they sleep on it even though they hang off or have to sit on top of each other to fit... silly wabbits

Latest posts

Back