YAY! First Netherland dwarf litter born

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaleyk98

Reaction score
Well I have my firstND baby born today...one lonely little baby. Its a little black otter I believe. Im praying for a doe! I will post pics soon!

Congrats!!!! My first ND was born fri night/sat morning. There were two, but only one survived, so we are keeping an eye on it. Its skin is black, with a slightly lighter blackish gray belly. We are really excited. Best wishes for you

You know, I was really shocked at how tiny the ND newborns are...It was like a mouse! So cute. My ELs are twice that,lol.

D= You really make me want a second breed!

The thing I hate is telling peanuts. I'm horrid at it. I had a litter of 6 that all had the bulgy eyes and head... All had great hindquarters until two days ago. One decided it really was a peanut. Now I have a 7 day old one who's starting to look like one, too. But the rest are healthy and fat! So confusing, since they were all identical!

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
The thing I hate is telling peanuts. I'm horrid at it. I had a litter of 6 that all had the bulgy eyes and head... All had great hindquarters until two days ago. One decided it really was a peanut. Now I have a 7 day old one who's starting to look like one, too. But the rest are healthy and fat! So confusing, since they were all identical!
I was under the impression that usually Peanuts die within 3 days of being born. You can get runts, and babies that will not grow up to be quite show quality and will display bad type when they are that young but that doesn't mean they are peanuts.

lelanatty wrote:
Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
I was under the impression that usually Peanuts die within 3 days of being born. You can get runts, and babies that will not grow up to be quite show quality and will display bad type when they are that young but that doesn't mean they are peanuts.
I guess the other one would have died at 5 days. I really, really don't have a doubt that it was a peanut. In the last day or two, his legs started doing the crossing. This next one, you're right. It may not be a peanut. But at the same time, if it was a runt... In my experience, they do well with extra feedings... Which I did. It's just never getting full, and it's getting skinnier and skinner. I'm surprised it wasn't dead when I went outside to check on them.

edit:
I even debated if it was a max factor showing none of the classic symptoms. I know both the buck and doe carry the gene, so it's odd not to find a single on it the litter. Anywho. It's fur is different from the rest of the bunches. Who knows. I figure it'll pass by tomorrow, and I won't have to worry about it anymore.

I guess the other one would have died at 5 days. I really, really don't have a doubt that it was a peanut. In the last day or two, his legs started doing the crossing. This next one, you're right. It may not be a peanut. But at the same time, if it was a runt... In my experience, they do well with extra feedings... Which I did. It's just never getting full, and it's getting skinnier and skinner. I'm surprised it wasn't dead when I went outside to check on them.

edit:
I even debated if it was a max factor showing none of the classic symptoms. I know both the buck and doe carry the gene, so it's odd not to find a single on it the litter. Anywho. It's fur is different from the rest of the bunches. Who knows. I figure it'll pass by tomorrow, and I won't have to worry about it anymore.
True True. and I think different fur is a max factor trait also. Good Luck with your babies :)

congrats on your new baby :D I always have at least 3 does mated all at once as one baby tends to get to big. lol the does may be small but they usually do a good job!!

Latest posts

Back