X New to RO

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please see this post: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=67548&forum_id=8

Also know that there was a discussion a couple of weeks ago about culling that grew incredibly inflammatory and gave the mods a huge headache. Peg even stepped down for awhile, which was a bummer for all of us.

Every place has rules. Every place is not for everyone. RO is a GREAT forum just the way it is--if it's not for you, that's fine. Go elsewhere.

JimD wrote:
It's Italian.

And, in respect for those who do not speak the language, it translates as; "So goodbye nasty stubborn pet people."

Ah....I figured out why maybe they didn't belong here.....

My pets aren't nasty or stubborn. Neither are the ones that our members have.

THEY HAD THE WRONG FORUM!!!

:biggrin:

Considering that several members in this thread all joined at the same time and are all heavily involved in promoting their new Rabbit Addicts forum, I have no doubt this was a concerted effort to do just that.

They know that RO is generous with its recommendations, we'd always recommend the now-closed Rabbit Habit when 'combative' subjects came up, and expected we would likely do the same with the new one if they stirred the pot.

The end result, however, is exactly what they complained about in this thread -- it gave rabbit breeders a bad reputation and left many pet and rescue members with a sour taste in their mouths.

Congrats on that one.

I personally have no interest in a forum populated by a combative group of troublemakers (I sympathized with Kismet at the RH, don't blame her for closing it), but I will certainly continue to recommend it to other combative troublemakers. Good luck with the drama.

sas

Amen, Pip! :big wink:

There is a reason RO is the largest and most active rabbit forum on the net, it is a great place! Sadly, that can also draw in trolls and folks with bad attitudes who cannot seem to accept the rules set in place to keep things running smoothly.

I do have to comment on breeders who come in acting high and mighty with such bad attitudes really do not help their cause. Not sure what they were hoping to accomplish... Perhaps a sad attempt at trying to get more members at their forum by ruffling feathers here? Sometimes I don't understand people and their drama.

No surprise they now have a "bash RO" thread on their forum. Real classy. :rollseyes

You know what's striking me funny? They keep talking about how 'we' won't listen, but they refuse to look at 'our' point of view, either.

When I joined RO, I was excited. I know of only ONE other pet forum(a rat one) where breeders and rescuers all get along. Breeders and rescuers seem to be natural enemies, like cats and dogs, chefs and waiters, etc. A forum where they do co-exist is a wonder to behold, indeed. Accept it, and don't be surprised that some differences just can't be negotiated.
If I ate meat, but owned a pet pig, I wouldn't eat pig. If I joined a pig forum, I would not expect a pig farmer to join. However, I would have no problem with a pet pig breeder. If your animals are livestock, don't join a pet forum. Simple.

And all joining up at the same time for an attack strikes me as slightly immature behavior. Amusing, but immature. If RO ceased to exist, RA wouldn't be my choice of forum, simply because of the behaviour of the admin. Great one, fuzzypatch!

As a member of this forum for several years - and a moderator - I feel like maybe in a way it is a good thing this thread happened.

I know we've had breeders on here who were unhappy - perhaps they've pm'd other members, etc. about leaving, etc.

Now they have a forum they can go to - and it will be fine. We'll still survive and be here. Maybe this forum will be at peace again once they leave.

I know we'll still keep a lot of our breeders here and there may be some who choose to be on both forums - and that is fine too.

But I'm looking forward to the peace now that there is a place for those unhappy breeders to go to.

Just wanted to update:

The admin of Rabbit Addict removed the thread that turned into a "bash RO" fest and apologized. Hopefully there can be peace between the two forums and we can work together to further educate and help rabbits. It's good for breeders to have an outlet for inflammatory topics they cannot discuss here.

I hope this thread stays up as it is a good example of the people who should not be on here.
I am a breeder as well but I respect others who do not breed and alter their rabbits.
I love this forum as it is not judgemental of the different types of rabbit owners. I was part of another forum before but you would be criticized for breeding or not altering your pet. Also if you kept your rabbit outside you were considered irresponsible and heartless!
So basically, great job on this forum everyone and I happy to be here :)

Brittany85 wrote:
I hope this thread stays up as it is a good example of the people who should not be on here.
I am a breeder as well but I respect others who do not breed and alter their rabbits.
I love this forum as it is not judgemental of the different types of rabbit owners. I was part of another forum before but you would be criticized for breeding or not altering your pet. Also if you kept your rabbit outside you were considered irresponsible and heartless!
While I haven't read this whole thread thoroughly yet, I'd just add I was on RH and RO but I wasn't pleased at all with RA. Asa breeder myself I still alter some of my animals like some that hit the age to retire to breeding and don't breed. I alter them and 'cull' them to pet homes. I'm still jus tlurking alot again, trying to get to know many new folksbefore i become more active again and i do not understand why they cannot understand the rules. I had a thread removed about my new zealands and once it was explained i set that aside- yes i was mad, but i saw the value behind it.

I breed meat and pet rabbits... I have found that there are other websites who strictly talk about meat rabbits, and have found them very useful. I use this forum to discuss topics about my meat rabbits, but do not talk about certain topics (of which I use the other forum for).

Brittany85 wrote:

This is where the problem arose from, and how the topic of makin the rabbitry "closed" came up. Apparently breeders were beeing criticized and privately attacked on this forum for their practices and this is where it all started. I'm a member of RA and just read the thread, it was very baiting and problematic and does not send a good message. The admins apologized and we can move on and learn from the mistakes. Everybody is entitles to their own opinions. Happy Day

Gee...maybe we should start a rabbit recipe thread(title it that) then fill it with all the things we feed our bunnies.

SNM wrote:
Brittany85 wrote:

This is where the problem arose from, and how the topic of makin the rabbitry "closed" came up. Apparently breeders were beeing criticized and privately attacked on this forum for their practices and this is where it all started. I'm a member of RA and just read the thread, it was very baiting and problematic and does not send a good message. The admins apologized and we can move on and learn from the mistakes. Everybody is entitles to their own opinions. Happy Day

No - that is not exactly why we discussed making the rabbitry forum private. If breeders were receiving private attacks - it was their responsibility to notify a moderator so it could be dealt with.

The reason we discussed making the rabbitry private was because of two things:

• Non-breeders would come into a thread and be combative based upon their beliefs (I'm not talking about those who would stay they disagreed - I'm talking about those who would say that person X should not have rabbits or stuff like that).
  • Breeders wouldn't listen to me and SHUT UP and let the thread be moderated and die. They felt like they "had to express their opinion" even though I had asked that the thread be changed.
We have several breeders on here who breed meat rabbits and we have no problem with them being on here - we don't ask breeders to check in with us so we can decide if they can stay, etc. We don't ask that they only breed for show.

The only thing we ask is that since this is largely a pet forum....we respect a few rules - as in - we don't discuss eating rabbits - we don't discuss culling rabbits via. ways to euthanize them, etc.

That doesn't mean that we can't discuss other things - like what protein content in food is best for meat rabbits and stuff like that.

We don't ask meat breeders to not be on here - we welcome them on here. We simply ask them to remember that not everyone is comfortable with that topic and that we don't discuss it.

I was able to handle the non-breeders fairly well because they would do something that would violate the guidelines and I could explain to them in PM. It was the breeders who wouldn't listen to me - who felt like they should continue the discussions that made me decide to take a leave of absence.

To all breeders - if you get pms from folks harassing you - it is your responsibility to let a moderator know by forwarding the pm. Otherwise - we know nothing about it.

Happi Bun wrote:
Just wanted to update:

The admin of Rabbit Addict removed the thread that turned into a "bash RO" fest and apologized. Hopefully there can be peace between the two forums and we can work together to further educate and help rabbits. It's good for breeders to have an outlet for inflammatory topics they cannot discuss here.
I almost went to RA and joined - partly to say hi and let them know that I'd be referring breeders there for sensitive topics. I definitely looked around a bit.

I think that it is great that there are two forums (maybe more) - and that they can offer more for breeders than we do. I mean - we have more than one flavor of ice cream and don't demand that folks eat only vanilla - why would we think of saying folks could only be part of one forum...know what I mean?

I wish them the best over there. I don't see them as "competitors" at all and if we have breeders that go over there - I certainly understand.

As far as I'm concerned and from what I understand from some others on here - we're happy they're there and we can now refer meat breeders, etc. there.

:biggrin2:

Wow..... this is a really weird topic. Glad to know I don't want to go to RA now.

Censorship is not against the law it happens allllll the time. I won't say any more :)

Latest posts

Back