"Wow your rabbit actually hops?"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*sAbRiNa*~

Reaction score
I let Sabrina out in the hall today for her daily run and my new neighbors came out when she was in the middle of about 10 binkies in a row. Well what did they say? "Oh my god! Wow your rabbit actually hops?????" I was a bit shocked because it seems only natural to me that a rabbit would hop!:rabbithop

What other things have you guys been asked/told about your buns that seem obvious to us slaves, but maybe not to those who do not have buns in their lives?

People are always amazed that they play with toys. I was conducting a rabbit workshop at the shelter this week and was telling everyone how rabbits like toys they can toss in the air. At that exact moment, Snowball flung her willow ring in the air. What a cooperative little assistant!

People seem amazed that my bun is neutered (and I guess I don't blame them, because I didn't know spay/neuter was normal for bunnies until I had one of my own). I told someone I was going to get Otto a girlfriend someday and she asked about the babies. I said, "Oh no! Otto's not a whole man anymore, so there won't be any babies"

People seem amazed that rabbits can do agility. We didn't build the equipment, drive it to the event, set it and the bunnies up just to sit around all day. I will admit that most people don't think a rabbit can be trained, but you don't come to an event without anything to show.
One of my favourite comments is: "Is that a rabbit?". My answer (at least in my head) is: "No, it's a long eared hopping dog".

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
People seem amazed that rabbits can do agility. We didn't build the equipment, drive it to the event, set it and the bunnies up just to sit around all day. I will admit that most people don't think a rabbit can be trained, but you don't come to an event without anything to show.
One of my favourite comments is: "Is that a rabbit?". My answer (at least in my head) is: "No, it's a long eared hopping dog".

Ahh I get the same thing. lol. I think next time someone asks me "Is that a rabbit?" I'm going to say "Naturally." lol.

Emily

people are amazed that they can be litter boxed trained. I was having breakfast one morning with a bunch of neighbors (we get together once a month in the cold months at a diner and have breakfast and try to catch up) and i was talking to a woman who lives on the block and we got into talking about rabbits and she said that she had them but they were outside , and when i told her i had three and that they lived in doors and in my living room you would have thought that i just spit out my food in the middle of the table, she looked at me like i had seven heads. Then seriously she turns to me and says "dont they smell?" lol to which i laughed and said " no, as long as you clean up after them"

then i told her they were litter boxed trained and she was completely amazed like i had some alien rabbits in my house,lol

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
people are amazed that they can be litter boxed trained. I was having breakfast one morning with a bunch of neighbors (we get together once a month in the cold months at a diner and have breakfast and try to catch up) and i was talking to a woman who lives on the block and we got into talking about rabbits and she said that she had them but they were outside , and when i told her i had three and that they lived in doors and in my living room you would have thought that i just spit out my food in the middle of the table, she looked at me like i had seven heads. Then seriously she turns to me and says "dont they smell?" lol to which i laughed and said " no, as long as you clean up after them"

then i told her they were litter boxed trained and she was completely amazed like i had some alien rabbits in my house,lol

Yes, I get this a lot. When I was trying to talk my landlord into a bun he was very skeptical and kept saying "Aren't rabbits really dirty and smelly?" Thankfully he let me get one and has since met the bun a few times - I think he was kind of impressed by how well behaved and absolutely non-smelly he is.

I also had a cable guy in one time who was fascinated with the bun and how he was able to run around the house and use his litter box.I'm glad my guy can be a good bunny ambassador!

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
On the day I brought Sabrina home a little boy in the elevator asked me if she was a baby Chihuahua.

I love all of these...keep them coming!

I've heard a lot of what people have already said.
"Aren't they messy and smelly?"
"Why would you want one? They're stupid."
"Rabbits play with toys?"
"Why would I need to get a rabbit spayed?"
"Why are your rabbits in such big cages" (I have ex-pens, not like they're huge! I wish I could go bigger!)

For some reason, a lot of people ask me if bunnies have claws. Lol. I guess they just have no idea if bunnies have nails or not (or if the nails are more like a dog's or a cat's). I explain they have nails just like dog's that you need to trim.

This reminds me of my boyfriend when we first got Chewbacca
"OMG she has a tail! An actual tail"
Me: "What did you think it was?"
Him" "I thought it was just a puff of fur. But there is a tail in there!"

I laughed.

I think the people who say bunnies are smelly are the ones who don't know about spaying/neuteuring, because none of my bunnies are fixed yet, and if they were to live in the house, the place would smell like a sewer in a day lol! I'd be forever cleaning.

My friend who has bunnies thinks I'm crazy for loving them and thinking they are affectionate lol! She has had her bunnies longer then I have, I find it hard to understand why she can't understand her rabbits after almost three years.
Like she thinks when she holds my rabbits they are going to attack her? :?She asks to hold them and then starts shouting ''Ahh it's clawing me! Get it off!''. I'm like jeez, you'd swear I asked you to hold them!

I once had a man ask if Bunny was a hamster (see minilop in my avatar). I mean, maybe you could get away with calling him a guinea pig, but a giant hamster with long ears?! :disgust:

I got the they are litter trainable?

He lives in your bedroom?

They really have to eat hay?

Why would I want such a dumb pet?

I think they are very misunderstood. And its our job to teach as many people as possible

I usually get "Why do you have so many, they're so dumb and they smell bad! They don't do anything!"

People freak out if I tell them I have nine. They think they'll all bred all over and I'll have like 30 the next time I talk to them.

And of course, nobody knows they can be litter trained. XD I have only one litter trained, but he has control of a whole room and when people see it they're usually freaked out that he'll pee all over or something.

AND my favourite, people think my outside pair, Popcorn & Butters, are massive freaks of nature. XD They're only 12 pounds or so, but people expect rabbits to be little two pound things so it's really funny to pull back the plastic covers on the rabbits and watch people react.

i love when they ask "but don't they bite?"

i have worked out the perfect answer to shock them even more

"well, only when i roll over onto her in the middle of the night. . . but thats what i get for sleeping with a rabbit in my bed!"

or when people come to my house for the first time, i always give them a treat (craisin, cherrio, ect) to give winnie as a peace offering. . . they are always completely shocked

"ok . . . were is her cage"
"oh, it is in my room, but she is sitting under the table eyeing you"
"she is loose?!?"
"yeah, give her the treat, if she grunts you will have to step outside till i herd her into my room and shut the door"
"WHAT?!?"
"its only for your own protection. . ."

"Why are you feeding them that grass?" from a little boy who had a pet rabbit, about a litterbox I had full of hay. "Can I have a piece?" I was thinking, "sure kid, you can have a piece of hay, but you're gonna need a LOT more than one!" I gave the kid our handout on "bunny-basics" and told him to ask his dad to buy a bunch of hay.

Everyone is very surprised when I tell them that I got my bunnies at the humane society, they think it's only for dogs and cats.
Also I find that people really do not know anything about bunnies, even those people that have them as pets and people that work at pet stores.
It's sad but bunnies are misunderstood and unappreciated by most people.

Latest posts

Back