WOW!!! Sherwood Forest Natural Rabbit Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyprincess67

Reaction score
Just place my order on Monday afternoon for this food for our young does and it arrived Wednesday morning! Talk about quick. I am amazed at how this food smells and looks. It smells wonderful and the texture looks so much more appetizing than those brown round pellets I had been buying. The "girls" love their new food and I am so excited to have found something so good for them.......oh yeah, and no yucky pellet dust at the bottom of the bag :). Thanks to this board since this is where I first read about it. Also their customer service is phenomenal - had a couple of questions for them and both David and Bob got back to me right away. They really care!!

Sounds great! Too bad we probably won't get that here though.

Just a word of caution, it seems that they were switched on the new food pretty quickly so if they get soft poops, it's more likely from the drastic change than the food itself. (Just in case it happens and you get disappointed thinking the food isn't good for them)

Thanks Nela. We still have some of their other food, so I mixed it in with the new food. Theyll be on a combination of the two until the old stuff is gone....the it will just be Sherwood Forest :)

Good luck with the new food.

I'm glad I saw this. I just ordered a free (well I had to pay shipping only $3.95) 2 lb bag to sample. I hope my buns will like it. It looks like a good food for them.

skyprincess67 wrote:
Just place my order on Monday afternoon for this food for our young does and it arrived Wednesday morning! Talk about quick. I am amazed at how this food smells and looks. It smells wonderful and the texture looks so much more appetizing than those brown round pellets I had been buying. The "girls" love their new food and I am so excited to have found something so good for them.......oh yeah, and no yucky pellet dust at the bottom of the bag :). Thanks to this board since this is where I first read about it. Also their customer service is phenomenal - had a couple of questions for them and both David and Bob got back to me right away. They really care!!
Had the same customer service, but none of my 6 rabbits eat the food. The only one who would finally eata little (if absolutely nothing else available) is mama-rabbit. I bought the largest bag as I have 4 bunnies (+nusring mom) and its going very very slow. Buns are 5-6 weeks now, I doubt we will use even half of it by their 12 weeks.

I got the "free" trial of their food & was surprised by how much calcium & fat it contains. So I decided I wouldn't risk it. The first ingredient is alfalfa, not timothy. Timothy comes first for both Oxbow & Kaytee.

anyone else have issues with their bunnies not eating this stuff?

I ordered a sample of the adult formula for my babies since they're 12-13 weeks old. I mixed some sherwood food in with the remaining pellets from what their breeder gave me when I got them - right now, the mix is about 3/4 old food and 1/4 new food.

I gave them pellets this morning and was surprised to see a little bit still in the dish by mid-afternoon... when I looked more closely, the remaining pellets were all the darker green sherwood ones - they had deliberately picked out and eaten all of their regular pellets and left the new stuff behind :(

My Binky did the same thing. I decided to change his feed from Blue Seal Show Hutch Deluxe, the feed that the breeder was using to Sherwood Forest. I expected him to go crazy for the new feed. He didn't. He picked out his old pellets too. But I continued to give him the new pellets and now he seems to like it but I don't think he likes it as much as I thought he would. It is a little disappointing. But I'm gonna stick with this feed because I can't find Blue Seal in smaller than 50 lb bags where I live and it would go bad before I could use the whole bag.

Hi, Bob here from Sherwood Forest. I have asked David to jump in later and as the scientist, give an answer to a few of the last couple posts on this thread. In short, Sherwood Forest derives it's energy from whole oil seed (fat), not from grains (starch) like other brands do. Baby bunnies don't have the capability to digest starch, but do very well on a high fat diet(like mommas milk) That's why those who use the L/G formula for their young rabbits under 12 weeks of age find that the 'poopy bottom' goes away, and other noticeable improvements.

Most other brands have high amounts of grain and grain by-products, wheat middlings, soy hulls, etc. that provide some fiber, but way too much starch for the young and developing digestive system to handle. David's research and those of other scientists over the past several decades have shown this to be true and best for young rabbits. Not sure why national brands and regional brands of rabbit food have not followed published research, except that it is cheaper to use by-products and left overs from other milling processes possibly.

As to some rabbits taking a liking to Sherwood Forest right away or slowing 'coming around'...from the hundreds of customer testimonials/reviews on our website, we have a dozen or so that say it is the 'Sherwood Food that is picked out and the old brown stuff is all that's left'. We have had a couple emails and phone calls with what you described though, and then a week or so later, they are all over the Sherwood. Part of this may be that some foods have the 'granola' type mix with the sweet pieces in with the pellets, so any rabbit (like a teenager) when given a healthier and better food will sometimes reject it if its not as sweet as the food he is used to...or like humans, change is hard and takes some time and patience. Also, once you do your research on the ingredients, compare labels and find that Sherwood is the best on the market (we believe it is) then as the few others have done, just give only the Sherwood Forest. 90% dive in and others take a bit more time to have their systems recognize and want the micro elements that Sherwood has and others dont.

On the Calcium content and the ratio of Timothy and Alfalfa, I will let David handle that one, but know that it has to do with the Phosphorus/Calcium balance. Thanks, and please visit some of the pages on the site: rabbit food ingredients, baby rabbit food, pet rabbit food, et. Call or email with any questions or discussion that we can answer. Thank you,

Bob

:)

wow, I'm impressed that we got a response from the sherwood forest folks!

I figure if they pick out all the old food and leave the sherwood food and I just leave it in the bowl, they'll get hungry enough/bored enough with hay to eat it eventually.

I'm not going to let slightly picky bunns deter me - after all, rabbits will scarf down cheap food mixes with dried fruits and veggies and seeds and all sorts of stuff if it's offered... which I assume is why so many of those unhealthy mixes are sold even though it's the worst thing to feed your bunny. my parents made me eat veggies and stuff as a kid even though I would've loved to eat junk instead - I figure feeding healthy pellets to my bunns is no different ;)

I thought I would clarify some nutritional information for rabbits: The digestive system of rabbits is not built to handle grain. They simply don't digest starch very well. However, they digest fat extremely well because they are "fermenters' and the fermentation of hay produces volatile fatty acids that are a major source of energy for rabbits. Their bodies are built to metabolize fat. Sherwood Forest is spot on with their research! Did you know that this information was published over 60 years ago? Then why are other companies still stuffing their rabbit food with grain?!?

About the calcium? The natural diet of rabbits is green hay which is naturally high in calcium. This only becomes a problem when there isn't enough phosphorous in the diet to balance it (these two minerals interact) and when companies add synthetic vitamin D3 (the active form) to their rabbit food. This causes rabbits to actively uptake calcium from their food (rather than passively absorb it) and it causes the kidneys to retain the calcium in the body rather than simply expel it. Make sense?
David

Bob--thanks for writing. I'm thinking about trying Sherwood for my two bunnies so this is helpful information.

I'm always boggled when I read about research done 60 years ago that is ignored by most of the makers of rabbit food. Thank you for trying to do better!

heh... it's not *that* boggling when you consider how long we've known about processed sugars and high fat foods being bad for us and then read some nutrition labels ><

junk food sells, and unfortunately that's true for rabbits as well. (doesn't help that there are many bunny owners out there with no clue as to what constitutes a "healthy" pellet feed)

I'm actually trying this out on Harvey. He's kind of picky with his pellets, didn't like Oxbow but will eat the Kaytee brand great. So far he hasn't really dove into the Sherwood, but I'm giving it a try. I kind of wonder if maybe it is the smaller pellet size when he likes the bigger pellets better. Kaytee is bigger than both Oxbow and Sherwood. I can't really back that, other than testing it out and rather not switch his food around a lot.

David Sherwood here: In my experience, 99.99999% of bunnies absolutely love the baby rabbit food (L/G) and about 90% of them love the adult rabbit food (M/S). The reason is because the M/S is a low energy diet food... my Holland lop resisted eating the M/S (after being raised on the L/G) for a short while (one of the 10%) and then dove in and has done great ever since. I feed him free-choice and he has a beautiful fur coat that has lasted over a year. He gets on 4.5 pound bag every 30 days.

Bunnies that are too fat and over-weight will slim down to just the right size if they are fed the M/S free-choice. Older rabbits that are unhealthy and underweight will gain "much needed weight" when fed the M/S free choice.

The pellets are designed to be fed free-choice and not supplemented with anything else. If you give treats please minimize how much you give because it dilutes the nutrients in their diet and alters the balance.

Yes, that could be part of it...most brands are 5 millimeters and Sherwood Forest is 3 mil or 1/8th inch in diameter. David Sherwood found with his rabbits that with the smaller pellet, there was much less waste, especially with the smaller breeds who pickup a pellet, take a bite and drop the rest if it's too big.

If smaller, like the 3 mil, then most will handle it okay without dropping it...all change and some are more stubborn than others to switch from one food to another without complaining. Once they make the switch though, you will notice some improvements in coat and body condition, as well as how playful they are. 'You are what you eat' is true with our pets as well...
Bob

Latest posts

Back