Wow, I've discovered sore hocks on Snuff's heels

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSnuffy

Reaction score
I'm quite surprised to see this. They're like calouses, really on his heels, partially covered in fur. I'm going to go ahead and treat with Preparation H. I don't really think there's a serious problem, I'm just surprised is all. He has so much fur on his feet, it seems odd. He has different surfaces in his cage from litter pan, to tiles to plastic to a grassy matt.

Odd. What do you all think? Ever had this with a Lop?

Edit: Maybe I should add some fleece to the tiles in his upper level?

I noticed it w/ one of my holland lop does, she's 3 now...they were pink so I put an extra rest mat in her cage and just kept an eye on it....never did manifest into anything else.Most of them have tons of hair on their feet, so I was a bit surprised....I noticed Corky's thinning a lil at one point too, I dunno but I wondered if it was part of a molt....cuz his coincided w/ that....:foreheadsmack:

Yeah, it is strange. Hmm. Yeah, he's about 3-4 years old and his weight could have a bit to do with it, he's about 5 lbs. He was molting bad, but that's over now and has been for about a month or more.

Thanks for your input!

Could it also be that he likes to sit in the spot where he urinates in his litter pan? Could that cause this? I'm thinking that's possible as well.

He got ticked as I tried to inspect them. I'm thinking they're white, but he jumped out of my arms, little turd.;) They feel like calouses.

Poppy has this. Sort of like a pinkish bare calus in the middle of her foot surrounded by fur? I started treating her with udderly smoothe, polysporin but it just irritated her foot and made it worse instead of making it better. I did get panolog from the vets, which I think helped the inflamed and broken/cracks on her foot (I thought that made it irritated as well, but I guess that showed some improvements according to the thread)

She still has them and it doesn't bother her at all.. it isn't as red or irritated as the pictures were (especially further into when I was using the cremes). It may just be the way Snuff is sitting?

Poppy is on fleece, hay or tile all day too and she has the bare calus on both her back feet. I don't think it's a problem unless they seem inflamed, the skin is broken or it's appearance starts changing.

Hers the thread with lots of pictures..

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=18943&forum_id=16&page=2

* My memory is terrible LOL!

How are his nails.

If Chippy's nails get a little too long, she starts to get sores.
The longer nails change the mechanics of how they rest on their hocks.

JimD wrote:
How are his nails.

If Chippy's nails get a little too long, she starts to get sores.
The longer nails change the mechanics of how they rest on their hocks.

True, Jim. I actually just trimmed them. I keep up with that pretty well, he's good about letting me do it.

Thanks, Spring. Those pics the hocks are very raw, Snuff's aren't pink like that at all.

Last night I got a pic, not a very good one cuz of the flash. I actually have to dig through the fur to find them, so it's just weird. I suppose he could've had them for some time and I just never noticed it:?. They aren't pink pink, and they're quite dry, not raw at all, which makes me think they're older. I'll just keep ointment on them and see how they change over time;).

Is it right on his heels...both of them....and covered bykind of a little flap of skin?

Many rabbits develop a small, calloused area at the tip of their heel under the flap of fur, and this could be a normal thing for Snuff.
However, when that area becomes bare, red, or inflamed, then there is cause for concern.

When Royce was living with his last foster, and his owner came to pick him up - she discovered he had sore hocks and they were bleeding! She brought him to the vet [I don't know what the vet prescribe, but it worked]. When Royce came here, she had asked me to keep an eye on them.

Royce is a Holland Lop btw.

JimD wrote:
Is it right on his heels...both of them....and covered bykind of a little flap of skin?

Many rabbits develop a small, calloused area at the tip of their heel under the flap of fur, and this could be a normal thing for Snuff.
However, when that area becomes bare, red, or inflamed, then there is cause for concern.
Yep, both heels and yes, the tips. No flap of skin that I could tell though, just under lots of fur;). Thanks Jim!

Yeah, Poppy's hocks became very raw and irritated with the creams, but they are normal looking now after I finished the panolog.

It's just something that's normal for her, I'll try to get a picture of them tomorrow to compare to Snuff's if you like :).

Spring wrote:
Yeah, Poppy's hocks became very raw and irritated with the creams, but they are normal looking now after I finished the panolog.

It's just something that's normal for her, I'll try to get a picture of them tomorrow to compare to Snuff's if you like :).
You are too sweet, Spring:). If you have a chance, sure. I'll also upload the one I took, not sure how much you can actually see though:?.

My Edie had this too, but I put an extra blanket (actually a padded one from a moving van) under her pen and started using Bag Baum on the pink spots and they are now getting hair on them. She just went through a molt, too, so maybe that is part of the reason. I'm glad to hear she isn't the only bun experiencing this, though!

Im glad that this thread was made. I recently discovered sore hocks on my holland lop. I have no idea if he had them from before hand. He used to live in an outside hutch with a wire floor. They arent a strong pink coloring. Its more like a faint pink and he does not seem bothered by it. He also just went through a molt.

Reading this thread makes me feel better knowing he is not the only bun.

Here's the pictures of Poppy's feet. I'm happy that there's a lot more fur around themthan before.I actually had to look through to find them, thick fur on her feet! :D These, to my knowledge, are totally normal for Poppy:

Feb1021.jpg

Feb1018.jpg

We once got a standard rex that had sore hocks, I put antibiotic ointment on them and he was fine (at least they weren't bleeding or anything:))

Good luck with Snuff's hocks!

Tyrone has had sore hocks which I treated with a cream from the vet. I had to laugh though because my house has carpet so it must mean my rabbit needs special indoor slippers like a little old man, hee hee.

Owie :(

It doesn't look too bad, though. Looks like its almost on the mend.

Would he tolerate a screen in his litter pan?

I noticed last night that Chippy's hocks are pink....again. It comes and goes with her. I put a little Neosporin on it and it heals in a few days.
I think once they've had them, they can be prone to getting them again.
Her 2 hour run time on the carpet may have irritated them.
She's very fine boned and doesn't have a whole lot of fur on her feet.

BAG BALM....great stuff for the hocks!!!

kasper21 wrote:
Tyrone has had sore hocks which I treated with a cream from the vet. I had to laugh though because my house has carpet so it must mean my rabbit needs special indoor slippers like a little old man, hee hee.

Carpet can be a cause for sore hocks with some bunnies, especially if they like to run around on it like my Chippy.

;)

JimD wrote:
Owie :(

It doesn't look too bad, though. Looks like its almost on the mend.

Would he tolerate a screen in his litter pan?

BAG BALM....great stuff for the hocks!!!

Yeah, they're not too bad, really. I do remember about the Bag Balm;).

I tried a screen in his pan quite awhile back and he chews it and chucks it out of the pan, so if I did that again, I'd have to use something around the edges to keep him from doing that and haven't really come up with anything feesible:?. I remember about those lighting grids, but his pan is not all that big, so not sure how much room that would take up.

I'll keep an eye on them and see how it goes, they don't be seeming to bother him one bit though. He never messes with them, which is another reason I never knew they were there;).

Latest posts

Back