Would like input on dealing with 3 week old litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Nyx had her babies on March 11th and she did a great job of pulling her fur and making a nest and has done a good job of nursing them.

BUT - she wants nothing to do with them now that their eyes are open and they can run around and chase her. She literally shakes her cage door to get out of the cage (and I moved her to a cage with a shelf but at least one of them figured out how to get up there).

A few minutes ago Robin was feeding in the rabbitry and Nyx stood at the door to get her attention - and she wound up standing on a baby. The baby was SCREAMING at the top of its lungs (I wasn't handy) - but she didn't move her foot or care about the baby. All she knew was - she wanted out.

So for now I've taken the babies from her and put them in a small cage that they can't get out of. They've got food and water and hay (which they've already been eating).

My thoughts are that I will give them to her once a day to have her nurse them - for at least a couple more weeks and then as soon as she gets irritated with them - I'll take them away to another cage where they can't get hurt.

I understand that not all does are the mothering type - but I've never had it this bad with a litter that was able to get around - usually the moms adjust better by now.

I'd like to hear from experienced breeders who've had does do stuff like this - would you do what I'm doing? Did you try something else that worked better?

She is nursing them - she just wants nothing to do with them other than that.

Whew! I know the feeling of just wanting to get away from the kids LOL

Putting them in their own cage and letting them nurse once a day is fine.

pamnock wrote:
Whew! I know the feeling of just wanting to get away from the kids LOL

Putting them in their own cage and letting them nurse once a day is fine.
At what point should I let her stop nursing them - or will she just decide that on her own?

I hate that they're away from her this young and she does ok if only one baby is with her - but when the 7 all go after her at once...that's when she starts freaking out.

Try to get her to nurse them until they are a minimum of 6 weeks old. You can stagger the litter so that only 3 or 4 nurse at one time. Put 3 in, take 3 out, put 4 in, take 4 out... or if they are going to nurse once a day, you can do 4 in the morning, and 3 at night....

I can sympathize with her... If you can, check her teats and make sure they are not inflammed or sore. As they get older, some of the babies tend to nip and bite. If they are inflammed or sore, use Bag Balm on them between feedings.

Back