would it be ok to kep a rabbit in a

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi all

we are looking to getting lucy a smaller hutch as the one she has at the mo is to larde for our lounge area

would anyof use say a dog crate would be suitable for lucy

she is out of her cage from 7- till about 4 pm

varna xxxxx

and if anyone can help wat kind xxxxx

Hi Varna,

I moved the post for you to the Rabbits Only section so more people will see it to answer.

I believe a dog crate is a good alternative to a hutch or cage and thatmany other members are using them or have used them. I'm surethey will chime in with their experiences.

--Dawn

It's fine as long as they can move around and stand up freely.

I keep Taker and Kane in one, and it's 5x bigger than them..

Also, it's fine as long as most of the times, you can take them outfrom the crate, and let them roam around in the house (rabbit-proof)..

I have my Nipper in a 30" dog crate and althoughI've had to make a pan of sorts to reduce the amount of stuff she likesto kick out when moving around, it's worked out relatively well for thetime being. I plan on getting a much larger structure down the road sothat I can move her boyfriend back in with her. I think she misses himat times...heh.

Wallace

Dog crates work very well. You can getsome nice big ones that will probably take up less space than herhutch. I've found that they're rather easy to clean too.

My two are in dog crates as well. With Raph itno longer matters about space, as he is disabled, but with Anna...sheloves her cage. I believe it's small for her (it's 36", and she's an8-lb bunny), but whenever I'm home she gets to run around the house,and in the warm weather she'll have the run of the backyard again aswell. Of course, half the time when I'm home she prefers to stay in hercage anyway...she will run around for a bit, then goes back in hercage, flops down and stretches out. She comes out when she wants, butseems to prefer the sanctity of her space. ;) So even though I'd loveto get her a bigger one, she doesn't seem to mind.

I use a dog crate... it is all bars with a trayin the bottom. The downside is if you use bedding, it will get kickedall over the place. I glued velcro to the tray and attached the otherside ot a series of blankets. No more bedding all over. They are nicebecause you can get in all the way to the back to clean it, and itsecurely closes. Also, it came with handles, so I can easily move it toclean behind it and such. I want to make a NIC cage, but I just don'thave the room right now. THis cage has been great the last year. Sheseems to like it alot too.

~Star~

Starina, here's another way to solve the messybedding issue too. I had a problem with Anna messing up the blankets inher cage (she's a real digger/messer-upper!), but solved it bypurchasing some small clamps from Home Depot. I stretch the beddingtightly to the edges of the cage and then clamp them down...works finefor her. :)

I give her old scraps of fabric to scootcharound, otherwise she will pull her tray liner up. (SHe does it anywaysometimes, she is such a naughty girl.:disgust:)

She's crazy, she will toss and tear anything she can. :hyper:She'd probably try to eat the clamps!

~Star~

Back