Would cat grass be safe to feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liung

Reaction score
I really want to give my buns more greens... but they're so expensive to buy! On her own Delilah would happily munch through an entire box of mixed spring greens a day.

So, with our upcoming move out of a basement apartment into a high-rise apartment, I want to look into plants I can grow for them myself. Thrifty!

I especially want to find a way to have a plants in with them, protected so the buns can't eat them down to the roots, but have access to the plants as they grow. I found a metal wire toilet-paper holder that should fit nicely around a pot, and then I spotted this in a local pet store:
IMG_0225.jpg

Literally designed so an animal can eat it without killing the plant.

So now the question is... cat grass: safe for bunnies?

And if you have any ideas, what other plants could I grow? I will definitely be growing some herbs like basil and parsley for me to use as well. Lahi is a big fan of mint... what about something not necessarily tasty to me, but will grow fast for bunnies to have in their enclosure? Dandelions, maybe?

Do a google search for "Growing Fodder".

Cat grass is safe for bunnys. Its usually just oat grass at 50x the price. You can do that with almost any type of bunny safe grasses.
its just hay before its cut and dried. fresh is fine.

So with the new apartment I'm also building my buns a new condo. Inspired by the pictures of up cycled wardrobes like these:

IMG_0247.jpgIMG_0246.jpg

I bought a used wall unit off Kijiji and I'm in the middle of designing it now

IMG_0122.jpg

The top shelves all have light fixtures inside for display purposes. The two outer sections I've decided that rather than removing the lights, I'll block the back half of the shelf off with garden chicken wire and replace the bulbs with grow lights, and just straight up grow plants on those shelves. The leaves will grow through the gaps in the chicken wire, allowing the buns to eat them as they grow, and the grow lights certainly won't hurt them.

(I actually attended a talk where a veterinarian spoke about the issues with vitamin D deficiency that indoor rabbits face, as household windows are specially treated to block UV rays. When I questioned her on the possible solution of getting lamps like for lizards, she said only that they would be ineffective, as they have a very short range of effect and it only works for lizards because of their basking behaviour.)

So! I may still look into getting cat grass planters to go on other shelves, but now I'm trying to think of plants that would do well for my buns own little greenhouses! Basil I know would work well, growing out with wide leaves on the ends of long stalks. What else?

I'm also getting excited about the potential to finally have household plants of my own. I won't be able to go too crazy—historically I have a bit of a black thumb and the only plants that have consistently survived me are cactus species and bamboo, the former because it won't die if I forget to water it for a month and the latter because they do fine in standing water and I can't kill it by overwatering.

But does anyone have a good resource for what common house plants ARE safe for bunnies? I know where to find lists of plants NOT safe, but my concern with that is that I can't trust them to be exhaustive. I'd rather have affirmative confirmation than risk accidental exclusion.

Sooo many herbs are bunny safe

Mint, sage and oregano do nicely in pots.
Those 3 are easy to grow. And much hardier then basil IME.

My mint that i left outdoors survived an entire winter of neglect and is alive again this spring.

I had an oregano plant as well that again... i forgot it existed and it lasted years until it got cooked to death in the sun last summer (extreme heat wave and i forgot to water it... ever)
Oregano has cute little purple flowers.

Back