Would a bunny be okay in a school locker?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
What about a backpack?

I'd worry about the rabbitoverheating as well as hurting itself trying to get out.

Or do you think it would eventually settle down and have a sleep much like a rabbit does in a cat carrier?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Rue

I think it might depend on how much the rabbit gets disturbed. In a backpack, it could be moved from class to class or even just having someone get something for the backpack. A locker might keep a rabbit more quiet. You also have to consider class changes and the owner of the locker using it.
If the rabbit is provided with the blanket, food and ventilation, it could stay clam. It does depend a lot on the rabbit. Some would be very scared and thrash around while others would just lay down and relax.

This is of course purely hypothetical.

I've got to admit, I'm wondering what prompted this question. No need to answer though.
I just wanted to point out that many school lockers would not comfortably accomodate a cat carrier. Lockers at my school also wouldn't likely provide sufficient room for a bun to stretch out and sleep.

Autumn,this thread shouldexplain everything: The Rabbit Ate My Homework ;)

There'd be no cat carrier involved. Just a ride in a backpack to school and then the rabbit being let out into the locker and the door shut and locked.

I remember the old lockers we had in high school had vents at the bottom of the doors, so the rabbit could get some fresh air that way. Food would probably preoccupy him--if he's not too stressed to eat. Mostly I'm worried about a rabbit freaking out and hurting itself trying to escape. Iknow this is fiction, but I wouldn't want to putmy fictitiousrabbit in a situation where a real rabbit would most likely severely hurt itself!

Thanks!

Rue

I thought I died a bit when I saw the title of this thread..glad to know it is fictional ;P

But I have to say...a cute velveteen peeking out of a backback sounds really adorable

Just for you, Myia:
On the bus, I slide into the seat beside Tabitha.

"Hi," she says, looking surprised.

"I need your help."

"Oh, and how are you doing today, too?"

"Sorry, I just don’t know what else to do." I unzip my backpack and two caramel-coloured ears poke through the opening, followed by a very displeased face.

"Oh!" Tabitha says.

"Yeah."

:biggrin:

Rue

Bwahahaha! Well, it's possible the rabbit could pee in his locker. Not like the rabbit hasn't peed on everything else he owns! :rofl:

But in my experience, rabbits can hold their pee for a LONG time. Gusonce held his pee for about 4-5 hours!

As for poop. Well, that's an easy clean up. ;)

Thanks!

Rue

I think for the purposes of a childern's book the rabbit would be alright in a locker.

That being said, I think any of us would be really upset if our rabbit got put in a backpack or locker. I dont think there would be enough ventilation in a locker, and I dont think there would be enough space.

Also, the backpack would be way worse because it would probably freak out and struggle because backpacks dont have a hard bottom to support them

Oh, I'm definitely not advocating anyone keep a rabbit in a locker! :shock:

It's just the circumstances of the story have forced my character to take the rabbit to school with him.

The rabbit will only spend about 20 minutes in the backpack (and most of that sitting in his lap on the bus) and then about an hour and a half in the locker. So it's not like he's going to be left in there for hours and hours!

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Rue

Otto holds his pee for 12 hours at a time every day - his choice.

You should write that into your book! :p

I think it sounds like an adorable novel plot! If you did keep a rabbit in a backpack, I bet there would be some holes in it at the end of the day.

How about using one of those pully backpacks? My son had one, it was like a small suitcase with wheels, hard surfaces all over - you wouldn't even see the bunny moving around in there

I think that the kid should leave some homework in his locker. Then when he gets there, the bunny has chewed it into snowflake cutouts :p

My rabbits like to attempt to murder the spines of my library books, if that is any help. I have patched more than one or two up with white cardboard inserts and some whiteout :p.

Back