Worth It?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la~la~land

Reaction score
Ok I'm considering (briefly, not sure if I've got the cash) this lil guy. Hes a black mini rex buck (I need a black buck). He costs $125. Is he woth it? Heres his info and pic.

Will's Dynamo, registration pending, 3 GC legs, reg. wt. is 3.06, born 5/9/09, entered in youth at Mini Rex Nationals, this is a very small and compact black buck, will be used until sold, Chilton's Kade (15 legs) x Hidden Treasure's Nan (broken blk), nice fur and very nice through the midsection, $125

210ybrn.jpg

*cough* I found an AMAZING REW Buck at mini rex nationals in 2007 for $40. I would not pay that. If you know where to look you can get great rabbits, of non-popular lines, for very good prices.

Thanks, I gotta say I'm pretty apprehensive to pay that much :pYou need to get back into MRs ;), not many good MR breeders closer than Ohio.

I don't need 15 breeds :p If I can get a REALLY nice pair of Mini Rex and not the crappy typed ones around here I might but that is a big might. If I could get to my friend in Missouri I would get some in a heart beat, she has had a nice pair promised to me for years now.

He looks nice from the photo (but I can't see his head).

I wouldn't hesitate paying that if he's as nice as he appears in the photo.

I am not disputing that he is nice, I am just saying if you search around enough you can find a rabbit just as nice for cheaper. I just have problems with paying big money for rabbits. The few times I have payed over $30 the rabbits would not breed, went sterile, or died right away. Bad experiances *shudders*

He is very nice. Could use a bit more depth, but honestly I wouldn't pay $125 for him. ;) Even if he had everything I needed to add to my herd. Like Sam said, you can find rabbits just as good, and even better, for cheaper prices. ;)

But, it's up to you. If you feel he would suit you well and bring to your herd what you need, then I would get him. ;)

Emily

I know nothing... But I love his arch? So nice :shock:Not sure about price, just wondering if it's right to pay so high for 'used until sold' then again if he's proven... Just wanted to say I love his back lol

Nela wrote:
I know nothing... But I love his arch? So nice :shock:Not sure about price, just wondering if it's right to pay so high for 'used until sold' then again if he's proven... Just wanted to say I love his back lol
I do too :inlove:eek:ne of the main reasons I considered him.

Nela wrote:

I think what they meant by "used until sold" was being used for stud and also still being shown. ;) Which is perfectly fine for breeders to do since it's still their rabbit. ;)

Emily

I paid 325 for 3 lionheads a couple years ago. I could never get them bred lol But if i had the money and its what i needed to add to my rabbits i would do it agian lol

iluvdutchrabbbits90 wrote:
I paid 325 for 3 lionheads a couple years ago. I could never get them bred lol But if i had the money and its what i needed to add to my rabbits i would do it agian lol

I would never spend that much on any number of them. lol At this rate they wont be recognized for 10 years. :twitch:

I paid $110 for 4 thriantas. One had 15 legs, one had 2 legs. So I wouldn't spend over $100 on a rabbit... The most I have ever paid for a single rabbit is $50. That is my limit I think. lol

Wow - I guess I'm a sucker. I've paid over $100 for rabbits when I was in lionheads (not often - but a couple of times).

I also just brought my flemish girls home in March - from New England. I paid $100 each for them - PLUS - $199 each (approx) to fly them in here.

Would I do it again?

In a heartbeat. (Then again - I paid for them from my paycheck and didn't have to take from our family's budget).

The breeder I got them from has been breeding for over 25 years. His name was one of the top two breeder names I was given when I asked for recommendations. (The other one was here in Texas and I bought four rabbits from him last July at $50 each...you can definitely tell the difference in the quality - and not just by the price).

I think it is important to note that what a rabbit is worth to any breeder (buyer or seller) depends upon the needs of their herd and the quality of the rabbit to meet those needs.

When I bought from Juan in New England - I sent him pictures of my best herd buck and said, "Send me does that can work well with him."

I just started breeding those does today - I'm so excited to see what I get.

(By the way - those does beat out the cheaper rabbits I bought at the state show in March).

I should have added - I've also bought rabbits for $50 and under and been pleased with them too.

I've tried to base my judgments not on price - but on what that animal can bring to my herd.

Oh - I once bought about 9 or 10 rabbits for $250 (shortly after I started). I wanted a variety to work with.

But I didn't know what I was doing. I would have been better off to pay the $250 on a really nice trio or even a group of four or five.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I do like his rise.

I'm not a breeder, but I had to say I'm surprised at the low prices (to me anyway) many of you pay for show animals. My holland (a pet now) could have been a show rabbit, but not a great one. He matured to 4.3lbs and has a slipped crown, so clearly not super high quality, but I paid $55 for him. A shelter rabbit is $75 around here, so I didn't think anything of paying $55. I'm just amazed that you can even get show quality bunnies for $30 as most breeders around here charge $25 at least for purely pet quality buns. Anything of remotely decent quality seems to be at least $40 (just talking hollands, but I can't imagine MR is that different). Maybe it's a regional thing since this is an expensive area to live in generally.

I don't know enough about MR to say how nice he is, but I dno't think the price sounds unreasonable for a very good quality herd buck.

Latest posts

Back