Worst Christmas present EVER (for a bunny)!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imbrium

Jennifer
Reaction score
The bunnies of RO had wonderful Christmases - mine got a dig pool, others got toys, one got a new indoor hutch and any bunnies that didn't get actual presents still got lots of love!

One non-RO bunny, though, got the worst early Christmas present a bunny could get - on December 21st, Thumper's family surrendered him to the HSPCA "because he was too big." Seriously. This adorable rabbit (who's only a little over 7 lbs btw) got dumped at a shelter for nothing more than being "too big." I want to find those people and introduce them to my steel-toe girly sneakers >.>

65642_th_600.jpg

I saw him on the website the other night and thought he was a cutie, so I met him today after taking my orientation class for the foster program. As part of the foster program, you get a t-shirt and have access to the non-public areas of the shelter like volunteers do. When I went to the back and read the papers on his cage, that's when I found out *why* he's at the shelter.

I'm munching on a late lunch, then putting hay and a blankie in a travel carrier and going back to the shelter to liberate him (and give him a better name)! Now I just have to hope Nala and Gaz will give him a chance, since he'll probably have to go back to the shelter if I can't bond them :(. At least if I do have to return him, I can write up a little bio for him that might help him get adopted.

Aw, poor bun! I used to work at my local SPCA and it never ceased to amaze me the reasons people would give for surrendering their animals. I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well bonding wise, this poor guy could use a proper bunny home.

He's really sweet! I have a sneaking suspicion he'll turn out to be a cuddle bunn :D. I tested the waters and he definitely didn't want me to pick him up... however, he was very welcoming towards petting and nose rubs. I'm getting ready to go get him right now!

Yay, very exciting! I desperately want another bun so I am living vicariously through you right now. Lol

Poor little guy, and i do mean little since mine are double his size. Thats so sad and I hope hes on to better things since there are people out there like me who love a giant bun, even if their not so giant :)

Awww, poor little man :( Some people surrender rabbits at the drop of a hat, it's terrible. So glad he going home with you for now, hopefully the bonding works out!

Aww he looks adorable! Mine was surrendered supposedly because he was starting to bite, but that was due to the fact that he had reached puberty and my suspicion is they just didn't want to fork over the money for a neuter. I hope the bonding works out too (and Nala and Gaz won't bully him too much!)

Oh, he is adorable! While it is horrible that his previous owners surrendered him just before Christmas, it was fortunate that he ended up at the shelter you are volunteering at & now he is a very lucky bunny in your home!!!!! Hope Nala & Gaz will accept another bunny friend & he will be able to live happily ever after with you! Oh, if you find out who surrendered him please let me know & may I borrow one of your steel-toed sneakers to kick them in the you-know-where? Oh, I so hope it works out for your new bunny, Nala & Gaz & the whole family to stay together!

Good luck!

He is adorable. Some people just shouldn't own pets... Hopefully they bond! If not, I would suggest maybe trying to find him a home on your own? But definitely writing up a bio about him would help! Keep us posted.

This bunny is ridiculous. He doesn't want to be picked up and is mildly "iffy" about us because he doesn't know us yet but he's generally friendly and sociable. Doesn't bite at all and he's less skittish than one would expect considering all he's been through.

In the last 8 days, he got dumped at a shelter, neutered, put on display in a little bitty cage for a week, ushered into a cat carrier with fleece blankets and bluegrass hay, put in a car, subjected to some quick errand running, carried into a strange apartment, stared at by two cats and subjected to a lot of yelling (I was yelling to get/keep the cats away from the carrier while I moved the Christmas tree into the kitchen (where the cats can't get to it) to be thrown out, reclaimed the x-pen from around the tree and set it up over a tarp in our bedroom for him). He seems to have taken it all in stride. He sat in the big cardboard box I gave him to hide in and ate some hay, washed his face (TOO cute!), came out and hopped around, got pet, etc.

He definitely needs a new name - Thumper just doesn't work for him. If anyone in this house deserves that name, it's Nala; she's very thump-happy and taught Gazzles to be thumpy as well... this little guy didn't even thump at the cats for staring into the carrier.

He's got the cutest ears - they're not lopped but not upright; not "helicopter" style either. Kinda reminds me of Kai's ears (one of kmaben's bunns) but way smaller, hehe.

27zj6oh.jpg

24vi0cn.jpg

333lwew.jpg

swv3eu.jpg

bin1t.jpg

He's kind of a smart-ass, though... waited for me to turn the camera off to start washing his face. The second I turned it back on, he stopped. I turned it off again, he started again. It's like he knew, lol.

He's got some odd lines in his fur that make me suspect he might be molting, though he's not particularly sheddy... I want to let him settle in for a couple hours, but I think I'll try to furminate him later. I went into the girls' pen to get the craisins so I could give him one and had to chase them down to give them each a craisin first - I got the feeling they'd know if I gave "their" craisins to this new bunny without giving them any and would be upset about it, lol. He took the craisin right from my hand :).

Edit: oh, and some of it's the camera, but his eyes DO have a reddish tint to them. It's weird but cool. I love this little guy already!

Last edited:
Yay! He looks like he is right at home already. :) I love his coloring and his ears are way adorable. Stache is like that with the camera too, drives me bonkers. I love to take pictures but he never wants to cooperate.

Yah for the lucky bun that will hopefully get to stay with you. he is gorgeous, love his color.

It's crazy anyone would dump a too big bun. Most of them seem to be the sweetest and calmest buns as he seems to be. Hopefully he'll be laid back enough that Nala and Gaz will not be able to have any problem with him.

Lol, Nala's got a problem with everyone. I think he may do okay, though - he seems like he's laid back enough to put up with her crap and let her think she's the boss but I also suspect he's got the backbone to stand up for himself if she gets *too* pushy. As long as he realizes that she won't be happy if she's not the "alpha bunny" then I think they can get along.

Gaz shouldn't be a problem, as she's very timid - I can't see her having the audacity to start sh*t with him and he seems too polite to bother her. I think the two of them will get along pretty readily.

The only potential issue I'm seeing at the moment is that he's only been neutered for a week - if he gets humpy, Nala's gonna get pissed off in a hurry (humping is what led to her and Gaz's bond breaking a couple times in the past). I think I'll start off introing him and Gaz and if he seems a bit hormonal with her then I'll wait at least a couple weeks to try introducing him to Nala.

Hard to say for sure when I've just met him, but I suspect he's got Nala's smarts and Gaz's disposition - he seems lazy and loafy but very intelligent. I'm betting if they end up getting along, he'll be in the middle as far as the pecking order goes.

They'd already fetched him for me by the time I got there to pick him up (showed up with the carrier only to realize I'd forgotten my wallet at home and left the carrier there to go back and get it); the breed info was posted on his sheet on the employee/volunteer only side of the cage but not on the public side - I saw it when I was there earlier in the day but didn't get to look again later. I think it was American Sable and something else listed under breed. I'll check his paperwork when I bring it in from the car, as I hate that I can't remember.

Omfg he is really cute. Reeeally cute. I'm a medium-to-large type rabbit person myself. I'll never understand the craze for the teenies.

I love my teeny little naughties... but I like this guy, too :D. He doesn't look like he's nearly twice as much rabbit as Nala, though based on weight, he is. Big or small, I love me some bunny!

I'm sure I could love one too if I had one, but I don't go looking for them, rofl.

And another thing--doesn't it just boggle your mind how someone can care for something and have no feelings toward it whatsoever? I've had rabbits that I haven't been particularly close to, but I couldn't just like, kick them out of my house.

You can name him, Bugs or Cricket. Bugs since in some of the pix he looks like his ears are antennae like those of an insect. Or Cricket because a couple of the pix he sort of looks like a bunny cricket. lol You could even name him Jiminy for Jiminy Cricket of Walt Disney fame! Okay enough of my name suggestions, I'm sure the two of you will come up with the perfect name. Oh, or Jack as in Jack from an old TV show called Three's Company. lol Can't wait to learn the name you two pick out! lol

Back