Worried

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
Sometimes I have been accused of being ahypobundriac. My mom says I worry too much about mypets. I have been extra worried since the scare I had after Imedicated my bun with Ivemectin. Since that, I did TONS ofresearch about parasites rabbits can have, and quite frankly it isquite disgusting! I don't know if my buns had fleas ormites. I am sure they had a few ticks. I think Starhad tapeworms or pinworms. Now I am almost afraid to cuddlethem and put them near my face. I am afraid I can spreadwhatever (fleas, mites, ticks...) from pet topet. Has anyone else had that experience?

Also, my little Shorty has been having dandruff. I LOVE thesebuns and I just can't stop holding them and loving them! I amafraid I might pick up one of these parasites or whatever.Can humans get fleas or mites? Tapeworms?

Hugs! Krick

Tapeworms live in animal or humanintestines'don't worry they are acquired by eating undercooked meat orfish'mites should'nt b a problem either as they manely affect rodentsin the wild'but we can catch scabies which only affects humanskin.Flea's can bite us but not live on us.I really do'nt think u haveanything to worry about:)

Humans can get fleas, mites, andtapeworms! And many other parasites that animals canget. Most parasites aren't too picky, though some are morespecies specific. You're unlikely to transfer tapeworms orother internal parasites from rabbit to rabbit, or rabbit toyourself. Fleas, ticks, and mites, on the other hand, mayjump onto you or your clothes and then off onto anotherbunny. Same with lice. I don't think earmites willtransfer over to people, but I'm not positive. If yourrabbits are outside, or you have dogs or cats who go outside then comein where the rabbits are, it's a good idea to check for fleasespecially in the summer. There are cat flea products thatare safe to use on bunnies and are highly effective. Ihaven't had a flea problem with the bunnies myself, so I can't say whatbrands, etc... but ask your vet.

Basically, it's good to give your buns a once over every day to checkfor external symptoms of parasites like fleas. You'll be ableto see the fleas and/or flea dirt (droppings) in their fur.Internal parasites like tapeworms may be harder to diagnose.When my dog had tapeworms they were easily seen in his droppings and Iassume that would be the same with rabbits. Also check thefur around their rear to see if any little white worm bits got stuckthere. If your bunny has worms a vet visit can clear themright up!

Don't be overly paranoid. If you keep an eye out for thesethings they're easily treated. And if you feel yourselfitching, you might have fleas so be careful. :p It's unlikelyyou'll transfer anything serious to yourself or your other bunnies.

In general, humans rarely suffer from any type of illnesses or parasites picked up from their rabbits.

Humans can suffer from flea bites and can also serve as an intermediatehost to the canine tapeworm. (The beef and pork tapeworms aredifferent species). You should was your hands afterhandling any animal or feces.

I can attest to humans getting mites, as I've had them a fewtimes. However,I do handle thousands of rabbits.

Pam

I had scabies once ...my doctor said i prollygot it from sleepin on the couches on campus (never did i go near thosecouches again)....it looked like a "V" of raised dots on my wrists andthen quickly spread everywhereeee....it was super itchy..i had to putthis cream on my entire body and super disinfect everything iowned........:?

I am SO overly paranoid. I won't stopholding my buns! Over the last few weeks, they have had a fewticks and I have successfully removed them. I've been soparanoid about ticks that I have not taken the buns outside forplaytime for at least three weeks! :(

Twice in the last week, I have seen two ticks on Star's fur (it hadn'tattached yet). And I FREAKED out!! I assinated themimmediately! I keep tweezers and a jar of rubbing alcoholnear by! EW! So, the ticks are inside my housesomewhere. My house is clean and we don't even have carpet.(We have those polished concrete floors)! My vet says thiswill only be a problem in the hottest three months of thesummer. After the vet's treatment, it appears as though theyhave both gotten dandruff. Possibly from flea or mitefall-off. My poor buns get my original "once-over" like, 10times a day! They HATE me right now. I am alwayslooking in their ears, checking their bellies, their backs, necks, etc!

I know, I am totally rambling, but does anyone know how we could haveticks in the house? Our dog and cat are outside and don'tcome inside. Just the buns are in the house and have been forthe last three months because of the heat...

Pam-are there any safe tick sprays for the house or yard?

Kricket wrote:
Pam-are there any safe tick sprays for the house or yard?

Topical applications are generally used for cats and dogs.

Ticks may possibly getting in the house by hitching a ride on someones pants.

Pam

Our rescue guinea pig came to me with ringworm'unfortuantly too of my daughters caught it as well.It cleared upwith Caneston cream for both my daughters and guinea pig with in 6weeks of continued use

I had wondered about the same thing, about Earmites transferring to humans. I asked about this and.....Theycannot because we are the wrong host for them-so they could hop on us,but they would die. Hope this helps;)

Are mites visible to the naked eye? What do fleas look like?

They are not normally visable'rabbits and guineapigs tend to scratch a lot where they are which makes their fir fallout and it get's quite red and sore.The vet normally takes a scrappingto confirm.Flea's look like tiny black jumping things'if your rabbithad them u would know as she would be scratching all the time and couldhave a red rash if she was allergic to them.:?

The mites are microscopic. They can beviewed from skin scrapings or are often attached to a hairshaft. As Onnie mentioned, fleas are easily visible as tinyblack bugs.

Pam

Mite photos on this linkhttp://www.radil.missouri.edu/info/para/Ectoparasites/

Rabbit Fur Mite:

FUR9.JPG

Pam

I had mange mites as a kid.:? I remmeber being really itchy and some of my armhair failing off - I was a hairy little kid. ;)

Latest posts

Back