Worried

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucy26

Reaction score
Hi wondered if anyone can give me some goodadvice.We have had our rabbit for a month and when we brought her weasked what food we could feed her.The shop assistant was very helpfuland said any roasting vegetables, which i thought potatoes would beok.I gave her one yeaterday and today, i thought i would double checkonline and found out that i could be posisoning her.She seems veryhappy and hasn't had an upset tummy.I would appreciate it very much ifsomeone could give me some advice.Kind regards Lucy

dont do it again and just monitor the next 24hrs for diaorhea, stoppage of eating or drinking.

Try feeding your rabbit the following in small amouts if you want to give her veg:

clover, coriander, docks, dandelion greens and flowers, celery, greenpeppers, mint, pea pods, parsley, raddish tops, Romaine lettuce (notice berg or anything else that is light coloured), sweetcorn, or myrabbits absolute fave which is water cress, u can also give themcarrott but these have high sugar content so not too much.

Fruit they like is: apple, melon, banana, pear, peach, pineapple and strawberries.

Introduce ur rabbit to these one at a time a little bit a time suddenchanges of what you feed your rabbit on can cause diaohrea which can befatal in rabbits. Don't mix it upwith hercaectrophs though there fairly normal xx

lanna21974 wrote:
Lucy,

If your bun is ok now i would assume he/she will be ok.

According to the House Rabbit Society's list of poisonous foods...onlythe eyes and sprouts are actually poisionous to rabbits. So, unless youwere feeding older potatoes that had already started to sprout, Iwouldnt worry.

Here's a link to that site...

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html

I have, on occasion, fed my bunnies potatoes with no ill effects. They were not sprouting though. :)

Lanna

or from the same website lana posted things she can eat:

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/packet/abcvegi.html

:)

Thank you Lanna,i was beginning to get very worried,they were fresh potatoes with no eyes or sprouting.

Also thank you jack&amp:hetty for your advice.

Kind regards

Lucy

Welcome to the forum lucy26,

The first thread everyone should go to is the Cheat Sheet for RabbitCare. Even I like to go back to review some of theinformation I forgot about, or to check up something.

When I brought our bunny home, I made sure I had the samehay, pellets, and foods that she was having beforeso shewouldn't get sick in her new home.

Rainbows!

lucy26 wrote:
:)

Thank you Lanna,i was beginning to get very worried,they were fresh potatoes with no eyes or sprouting.

Also thank you jack&amp:hetty for your advice.

Kind regards

Lucy

watercress is my big advice :0) jack wolves it down.

Welcome to the forum xx

Bo loves bananas for a treat (usually hisbreakfast is something he loves like that) but I got some granny smithapples this week and OMG I thought he would attack me over a bite!

He was pretty hungry this morning I guess! :shock:

From everything I have read about animals eatingpotatoes, they are best cooked. I have several critters whoeat veggies and have researched this. Basically sweetpotatoes are really good but they need to be cooked. I justpeel, cutup, and then throw them in the microwave for acouple of min and refridg. until cool. They love them.

Jen

Just a note here: As with carrots andother starchy/sugary foods, I wouldn't use much at all and only givethem a bite as a treat.

Latest posts

Back