Worried About Mocha

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Mocha's got me worrying like never before everyone.

Yesterday he drank 2 full dishes of water (his dish holds about 3/4 cupto 1 cup of water). I know he drank it, and he drank bothbowlsin about 45 minutes. That worried me because he neverdrinks that much. I know he never tipped it because there was no wateranywhere, the dirt under his cage showed no sign of water falling onit, and the bowl had not moved a millimeter from where I laced it (in acorner so he would have had to move it to tip it).

This morning I went out to feed him, but I put the tarp on the cagefirst to keep the rain from dripping in their cages. Well when I openedthe door to hook the tarp onto the latch, Mocha showed interest in whatI was doing. After I finished fastening the tarp I went and got theirpellets. Normally Mocha is over joyed with food in the mornings, hedives right in and can't wait to chow down. Well today he showed nointerest in eating them. So I got a piece of pineapple (which he loves)to see if he would eat that. Well in the half an hour he's had thepineapple, he hasn't touched it. He hasn't even gone down to his foodbowl to inspect the contents. I checked his hay thinking that perhapshe filled up on that but he ate less hay than he normally does.

I'm so worried about him everyone. I know I might be over reactingbecause he may just not be hungry but I panic when things like thissuddenly happen.

Hi Sweetheart,

Did he eat last night? Is he pooping and peeing?

-Carolyn

At some hay last night, but that's it. As forpooping and peeing, he's pooping but not as much as normal, the onesthat I can see are normally sized for him, but I can't tell if he'speeing because the ground is wet from the rain.

Do you notice if he's bloated?Sometimes excessive drinking can be a sign of diabetes mellitus, but Iwould think that he'd be eating just as much asdrinking.Mocha would be unable to maintain or gainweight in most situations if that was the case.

He mayjust be having a downtime,andquickly return to normal.Hemight have even been drinking excessive amounts of waterbecause he was bored last night or as a result of a change intemperature.

Keep an eye on him throughout the day and don't get overly concerned,easy for me to say, I know. I'll say a few prayers for our littlemon.Check for signs of any parasites, just incase. Look for signs of his stools changingshapesandbloat. Excessive eating, drinking, weight lossand urination.

-Carolyn

P.S. I'm having Fauna tested for diabetes tomorrow. No matter how much she eats, she doesn't gain.

I hope Mocha is ok. I will be thinkin of him. Howmuch water should a average rabbit drink? I notice roger drinks 2 to 3times the amount of Luv.

Cristy

Ok, well sorry for the cause of alarm but he's oknow! I came home for lunch and found his food bowl nearly empty and thepiece of pineapple gone. All this stuff with GI Statis going on hasreally got me on edge and the slightest change in his normal worriesme. Today he's not drinkin as much and his personality is 100% normal,maybe a bit less curious and pushy but he has off days, too. I checkdaily for mites as is and nothing. As for diabetes, he gains weight, Iknow that because I recently increased his pellets so he has somewinter fat on him. I would have taken him to the vet if things weren'tnormal by tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help and sorry for being theover concerned mommy!

Hi Cristy,

I think I recall Buck figuring out that it works out to be about 1 oz. per 1 pound every 24 hours.

So Tucker had to have 3.5 ozs. within a 24 hour period because he's 3.4 lbs.

-Carolyn

My boys don't drink that much, they should be drinking between 6.5 to 7 oz of water and they're far from that amount!

It does vary. Some rabbits don't drink much while others do.

In the time that I had been dealing with Tucker's GI Stasis, I knewthat 4 ozs. was a lot to give him, but I kept with it because he wassick.

How's Mocha doing, Laura?

-Carolyn

He's ok, his personality is pretty much normal,he doesn't seem to be in pain at all, but there's not as many poops asnormally. I've cleaned out his cage and moved the poop from below hiscage so I can accurately judge how much. I'm not over concerned rightnow but still going to watch closely incase.

Have the size of the stools changed or the color?

-Carolyn

No, I've noticed that his poop are always notuniformly sized (it's been like that as long as I can remember). Someare small, others are big, but it was never cause for concern becausehe's never showed any other signs of something being wrong.

Glad to hear all iswell with that boy! I think they probably have days that are differentjust like we do. It's good to keep a close eye like you do though. It'sclear that things can happen quickly with them. Keep up the goodwork!

Raspberry

Whew! :shock: I'm just nowseeing this thread. I tell you, my heart just about flew upout of my throat with that first post. I still haven'trecovered from my sweet baby Tucks's bad episode. I justcan't take another of my babies going through suffering right now.

Glad to hear that my Mocha Bear seems to be doing well and getting back to normal.

Keep us posted.

Thank goodness for good news! I am so happy tohear Mocha was just having a "bad" day. I know if one of my buns pulledthat kind of a stunt I would be thinking the worst right away. At leastyou now know that that behavior is normal sometimes. Good lesson forall of us to learn!

Fergi's mom

I think I found the reason, I believe he'sbecoming a bit depressed. He is used to being able to run all day inhis run, but then school started and I had to cut that time down, buthe got out every day to run still, but now nights are getting longerand the weather's not so nice so he hasn't gotten out at all in 3 days.Well he still hadn't eaten all of his food this afternoon, when henormally has it gone in an hour, so I put him in his run hoping he'seat grass or something and after a few laps around he just dove rightin and finished eating. I think I need to get more toys to entertainthem seeing as how winter is a boring season when they can't get out somuch. I'm hoping that's all it was because that's a relatively cheapand easy fix.

Fergi wrote:
Thankgoodness for good news! I am so happy to hear Mocha was just having a"bad" day. I know if one of my buns pulled that kind of a stunt I wouldbe thinking the worst right away. At least you now know that thatbehavior is normal sometimes. Good lesson for all of us to learn!

Fergi's mom
Mocha's pulled this once before, Carolyn should at least remember howworried I was back then, too! He likes to keep mom on her toes! ;)

I hate Mondays (aka to me: Moandays). I never want to get out of bed.

Mocha's a man after my own heart. If it's not a play day: who cares!

;)

I'm so, So happy to read this, Laura. Your post got me thinking aboutyour baby, Fauna. In responding to this thread, I realized that Fauna'snot quite right.

You'll see my post. I know she's Your baby girl and I swear, I'll doeverything I can to get her back on track, but she's elderly and weboth know that. :(

Kiss my baby boys, Spicers and Mocha-Mon for me.

Love,
-Carolyn

I think there must be something to the changingseasons, 'cause Pauly had a bad day on Monday. I was worried he wassick. Thank goodness Mocha is just feeling moody. You're not an overlyconcerned mommy. You're a good one who is appropriately concerned.

These grumpy rabbits are going to worry us to death!

Latest posts

Back