Worlds away - the Silversong Farm blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is funny how age makes you look at things so differently... and how rabbits and the other animals have brought a sense of peace to my world.

Reminds me of the opening passage in the Richard Bach book "One" about a creature in a river clinging to a rock because everyone else was. They were always getting banged around due to the water action and one creature decided it was going to let go and take its chances. Its co-creatures said not to do it, you will die... but the creature let go and went with the flow. It got banged around but ended up in a place of peace and beauty.

Sometimes, I guess life is like that. I am ready to let go to find that different place...

Denise

One of my art teachers loaned me some rubber fish for gyotaku fish printing - normally done with real fish to record a catch in Japan... it is a lot of fun and did not take long to come up with some patterns I liked.

This week is off to an OK start as I see the end in sight... but as I was sorting the diplomas to pull our non-grads, I was getting asked questions that interrupted the process. Things like trying to find a rubber band for a test or a form to put on the tests...

I finally directed the person to see the person in charge of the form she needed and she came back repeatedly to ask about the form - did we have them, were they ready yet? Sorry we are busy in the main office with inputting grades, state data and graduation but the form you needed could wait... you can patiently hold on to your graded tests for an hour or so, please!!!:soapbox

Off my soapbox now. It is about setting boundaries for myself and not letting folks stampede all over me with their big flappy feet like my gaggle of geese...;) But right now, I'd rather get stampeded by rabbits and geese!

Denise

DeniseJP wrote:
One of my art teachers loaned me some rubber fish for gyotaku fish printing - normally done with real fish to record a catch in Japan... it is a lot of fun and did not take long to come up with some patterns I liked.

Denise
i always like to learn something new and this has to be the most interesting thing recently:biggrin2: i had to google this too - amazing! will have to ask arty son if he's heard of it.:)

Got the kids' diplomas sealed and packed for Sunday - that is a relief with three glitches to deal with tomorrow... more ranting from my home chair before I go to the barn...

Not only the teachers are at my desk asking for things but today was a parent who wanted a yearbook for her kid... and they were sold out weeks ago. I tried to tell her that but she asked if the yearbook printer could print another one for her - this is a commercial printer - I am thinking to myself - good luck with that but gave her the number of the adviser who has the number of the printer...apparently in her old district when you registered they would ask you if you wanted a yearbook - yet they did not think to ask about it back in January when they registered here...now they tried to make it my issue. Sorry but I cannot make it happen.

Life is getting to me... I really need a break from it all.

Going to the barn to relax and get chinned by Jared and Segal, nosed by Roxanne's kits and growled at by Buckley... she has to show me how to defend my space. Maybe I ought to set her at my cubicle so she can growl at anyone who invades my space. Nothing like a grumpy bunny growl...

Might even take a walk with the goslings...

Life is feeling better already...

Denise

And life throws a curve ball... a friend of Andy's was killed in a motorcycle accident this morning... Godspeed, Austin...:pray:

And Benn graduating tomorrow evening...

I am definitely in need of a noserub... not the spray Segal gave me - I guess he thought I needed love but not to that extreme!!!:shock:grumpy:

Denise

And Benn graduated last night... I suddenly feel old!

My 300 seniors at the school I work at graduate tomorrow... the two misprinted diplomas I had just arrived via UPS from Jostens to my house - this company rocks AND delivers!

Spent time playing with Buckley and Jared (not at the same time), and the ducks and goslings.

Waiting to hear on arrangements for Austin... :(

The goslings have part of the duck turnout area as they have grown so much in four weeks. I am still Mama Goose to them... they love grazing and hanging with me. The ducks are enjoying the snails I find for them.

Going to take a nap on the sofa - tomorrow is a big work day for me.

Denise

Graduation #2 happened today - 277 of "my kids" crossed the stage - the weather held out and I then spent the afternoon at my pond with my Diet Snapple and the goslings who enjoyed weeding and dabbling in the edge of the pond when I waded... and sat under my chair when I relaxed and sat back.

Then it was the barn chores... connecting with Weatherly and trying to gear up for a positive ride after our bad experience on our trail ride last month... bonding with Saoirse, doing a bit of halter obstacle with Mercy and scratching Freedom on her back to elicit the stomp of her foot she will do when I stop and ask her if she wants more...

Andy's friend Austin's wake is Tuesday and his funeral is Wednesday... Benn said he also spent time with Austin - they went to the movies and hung out. So sad to lose a life so young... at a time when there is a life to live...

Denise

Buckley and I had a moment this morning... she was complaining quite vocally about my hands in her space... but there is a litter box that needs cleaning and her floor space also needs attention whether she likes it or not...

Jared was pretty happy to see green treats this AM... parsley is growing well with the warm weather and rain so there is some to spare for bunnies... Juno's kits are maturing... I am really pleased with her opal doe... she is a keeper unless someone else REALLY wants her... it is too warm for breeding here - based on losing kits. I have plenty of babies to keep me busy although my neighbor's daughter and her fiance have their eyes on a Juno black buck that I said could be a wedding present - Meaghan has been a rabbit owner for most of her life and when her future hubby came to visit, he fell in love with this junior black buck as well. Meaghan is the mentor and nanny for another neighbor, their kids and Lenka's litter of all does...and happily, the parents are as enthralled with their new charges as the kids and Meaghan were...

Denise

DeniseJP wrote:
Buckley and I had a moment this morning... she was complaining quite vocally about my hands in her space... but there is a litter box that needs cleaning and her floor space also needs attention whether she likes it or not...

Reminds me of the "moments" Buckley and I would have.

Of course, it probably didn't help with me calling her "Big Guy" or "Chubby Boy".

:rollseyes

JimD wrote:
DeniseJP wrote:

Reminds me of the "moments" Buckley and I would have.

Of course, it probably didn't help with me calling her "Big Guy" or "Chubby Boy".

:rollseyes

She is getting more fit - still territorial about her space but I understand her there....I try to explain she needs a clean space and she says she keeps it as she needs it because it is "hers."

This is one rabbit who has helped my own communication with bunnies... she makes me think first as any prey animal does.

Brielle had her second litter yesterday on the wire - I was there to collect the babies as she cleaned them and got them to the box... it was a quick delivery of baby after baby and she seemed to welcome my guidance that kits go in the nestbox.

24 hours later an additional kit arrived... he/she is in the nestbox nowand yesterday's kits have survived their first day. I am hoping this litter works for Brielle (and her partner Segal). Tomorrow may be a challenge with 90 degree Fahrenheit predicted... but like Juno and Andy's litter and Jemima from Juno and Segal's litter over the winter, these are my future show Hollands...

Denise

And another Brielle kit arrived today... I cannot feel anymore when I palpate her but this was an unusual litter for sure! We lost a peanut but she has six in the nestbox as of today.

Denise

Three kits surviving as of this morning... but I lost my Checkered Giant Calliope on July 4th late in the afternoon - came out to the barn after house work and she was gone - just lying on her side like she was sleeping.

I forgot about this heartbreaking fact of rabbit ownership - unfortunately they warm our hearts with whiskers and nose wiggles and binkies and then they binky over the Bridge.

Very hot here today - hoping with my fans the barn buns are cool. Buckley is inside - no AC but fans are running in this room as well.

On a horsey note, Weatherly and I are working with a Frank Bell certified trainer and there is a big difference in the way we get along - I get to be herd leader and the nice thing is that the trainer was quiet, used no violence or pain, and had Weatherly walking around like a lady after a few temper tantrums. She was even good for me - no bucking, squealing or dragging me.

Denise

%3Ca%20href=
P1010027.jpg
" alt="">

Begging for a Yogie... she was sweet for a Checkered Giant.

Brielle's kits are still alive - she is nursing them and they managed to stay cool despite hot temps here in upstate NY.

Thunderstorms now - have to check on my geese to get them back to the housing pen - they are in a grazing pen now.

Denise

Brielle's kits are a broken orange, a tort and a broken tort and the eyes are open. They are petite kits but seem to be nursing well and are crawling around.

Heat comes back tomorrow... 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

The ducks and geese are enjoying their electric poultry net... it allows them to graze and wander and play in their kiddy pool and when they graze this area down, I can move the netting. It is attached to the horse fence and the geese and ducks respect it - so do I after I got a good zapping when I first installed it. It took a few hours before my heartbeat returned to normal.

Denise

Tonight was the night of chores.

All rabbit cages were cleaned, water bottles topped off, pellets and night hay given. Turnout pen is lined with wire to prevent Roxanne's kits from escaping until I finish their cages. One has a cage - she was the adventuress who I could not catch, hence her show name "Can't Stop a Prius". I finally caught her when she went into the barn to socialize and I cornered her. She raked my arms with her back claws for good measure. The other kits are happy exploring the hutches, the hay, the water and the pellets and they are racing around, doing explosive binkies.

Took the geese to the pond with Andy and he had a laugh taping them as they followed me as they extend their wings and waddle very fast when they run (He could have been laughing at me as I was probably waddling as well). Got them back into their electric pen and realized after I turned it on there was no juice in the fence or the main electric fence that supplies the zappage.

It is now getting dark and I run to see if Andy has a tester. No, he doesn't - odd for an electrical major at college and electrical company employee not to have one in his tool kit but he knows all about polarity and grounds and AC and DC and said what he had would not work on the electric fence(AC/DC - weren't they a heavy metal band in the 70s and 80s? :) ).

Now it's a trip to the fencer, which is covered by weeds and brush but once I got it cleared, the little light was flashing and it was making its customary clicking noise.

Run to power source and unplug.

Opt to go through horse pen - wading through manure is a lot better than reaching into brush where there might be big spiders... plus we do not have mosquitoes... they were buzzing hypodermic needles with wings tonight.

Find a broken wire - trudge back through manure, through the fence for a new wire in my tool box, trudge back to fencer, hook up new wire and then another trudge back to the power source. Plug in and the resulting pop made Weatherly jump a mile and look out the barn door to see if Nefertiti got zapped but she was quietly eating hay.

Lots of arcs all over the tape where slugs were frying when they touched the T posts and where the electric net was meeting the tape. Ed, my special goose, walked up to the fence and gave it a good bite but nothing happened. I grabbed my plastic pitchfork and boldly tugged on the spring loaded connector, which lit up like a Christmas candle. Spring inside was broken or arcing in the plastic casing. Luckily there was a spare handle - back to power source, unplug, then take off old handle and replace with new one. Realized that position was too close to the connector wires and I had an arcing sparkler show now. The ducks and geese backed off warily.

Another stab with the pitchfork and the arcing slowed but it was not right so I extracted the live handle with the fork, repositioned it and Ed obliged by pecking at the fence and getting a zap, which was followed by an indignant peep/squeak. Success - it was up and running again.

Mental note to self - check all connectors this weekend and have boys and hubby clear all the brush and weeds from the line. Have to do Weatherly's lesson tomorrow but that will be easy since I tackled the tough stuff today.

Time for bed...

Denise

Denise

Tonight was the night of chores.

All rabbit cages were cleaned, water bottles topped off, pellets and night hay given. Turnout pen is lined with wire to prevent Roxanne's kits from escaping until I finish their cages. One has a cage - she was the adventuress who I could not catch, hence her show name "Can't Stop a Prius". I finally caught her when she went into the barn to socialize and I cornered her. She raked my arms with her back claws for good measure. The other kits are happy exploring the hutches, the hay, the water and the pellets and they are racing around, doing explosive binkies.

Took the geese to the pond with Andy and he had a laugh taping them as they followed me as they extend their wings and waddle very fast when they run (He could have been laughing at me as I was probably waddling as well). Got them back into their electric pen and realized after I turned it on there was no juice in the fence or the main electric fence that supplies the zappage.

It is now getting dark and I run to see if Andy has a tester. No, he doesn't - odd for an electrical major at college and electrical company employee not to have one in his tool kit but he knows all about polarity and grounds and AC and DC and said what he had would not work on the electric fence(AC/DC - weren't they a heavy metal band in the 70s and 80s? :) ).

Now it's a trip to the fencer, which is covered by weeds and brush but once I got it cleared, the little light was flashing and it was making its customary clicking noise.

Run to power source and unplug.

Opt to go through horse pen - wading through manure is a lot better than reaching into brush where there might be big spiders... plus we do not have mosquitoes... they were buzzing hypodermic needles with wings tonight.

Find a broken wire - trudge back through manure, through the fence for a new wire in my tool box, trudge back to fencer, hook up new wire and then another trudge back to the power source. Plug in and the resulting pop made Weatherly jump a mile and look out the barn door to see if Nefertiti got zapped but she was quietly eating hay.

Lots of arcs all over the tape where slugs were frying when they touched the T posts and where the electric net was meeting the tape. Ed, my special goose, walked up to the fence and gave it a good bite but nothing happened. I grabbed my plastic pitchfork and boldly tugged on the spring loaded connector, which lit up like a Christmas candle. Spring inside was broken or arcing in the plastic casing. Luckily there was a spare handle - back to power source, unplug, then take off old handle and replace with new one. Realized that position was too close to the connector wires and I had an arcing sparkler show now. The ducks and geese backed off warily.

Another stab with the pitchfork and the arcing slowed but it was not right so I extracted the live handle with the fork, repositioned it and Ed obliged by pecking at the fence and getting a zap, which was followed by an indignant peep/squeak. Success - it was up and running again.

Mental note to self - check all connectors this weekend and have boys and hubby clear all the brush and weeds from the line. Have to do Weatherly's lesson tomorrow but that will be easy since I tackled the tough stuff today.

Time for bed...

Denise

Denise

Three Checkered Giant kits went on to new homes this evening...one of Roxanne/Remy's and two of Calliope/Jared's... and still kept some for showing this fall - the ones who left are going to help a fellow show person develop broken New Zealands.

Off to clean the barn and do my chores since I am home alone.

Denise

Latest posts

Back