Woot!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaded Night Rabbitry

Reaction score
Sheared my girl today. I really wanted to see her body without the wool on it (and it was a harvestable length), so I finally did it. XD

It took FOREVER. I mean, jeeze! I didn't snap a photo of the fiber, but I will tomorrow with I go to weigh it. I'm estimating maybe... 4 ounces? It wasn't much, and I wasted a LOT of it.

DSCN2475.jpg

I made her a coat to be warm tonight. Left it on for a little while, but then she started being bad and was eating things I didn't want her to, so she got put back in her cage. XD But it's 65 in my room, so I doubt she's going to freeze.

DSCN2480.jpg

Didn't take a pic with it all the way off, sorry. XD I left her tail fluff, and a little bit of cheek fluff. Some of the tummy fur is still there, but I got most of it. She reminds me of a poodle now. o_O;

So yaaaaaaaay! SNR has sheared it's first angora, and I'm sure there are MANY more to come!

Congrats! I sheared my angora's for the first time a few weeks ago. Actually I plucked one and sheared the other! I am spinning the fiber and since I can't seem to find any agreement amongst spinners as to whether plucked or shorn is better I decided to pluck one of mine, shear the other for the next 3-4 times and see for myself what I like better. I must say though - I actually found the plucking easier : )

Karin

Any tips for shearing or plucking angoras? My flatmate has an angora X who is feeling very hot under her fluff (it's summer here). We trimmed a bit with scissors, but really need to take it all off. The groomers will only do it under anesthetic...

the_discowhore wrote:
Any tips for shearing or plucking angoras? My flatmate has an angora X who is feeling very hot under her fluff (it's summer here). We trimmed a bit with scissors, but really need to take it all off. The groomers will only do it under anesthetic...
For angora wool, you need a good set of clippers. The cheap ones from Walmart won't last you long. A good pet store or grooming supply store will have something suitable. Expect to pay about $150-200 for a good set of clippers.
You can use scissors, but you need to be careful as you can cut the rabbit. Blunt tipped scissors are good. Cut as close as you can to the skin, but leave some wool. Try to cut in rows along the back starting at the neck.
If there are any angora breeders in your area, contact them to see if they can help. They usually have many rabbits and the equipment to sheer them. You may need to pay a bit or offer them the wool (if it is in good condition).
When grooming, have the rabbit on a small table so they can't move around too much. A piece of carpet, bath mat or towel will work to prevent slipping. You can get a spinning table thing (used to condiments and such on a table) covered with a toilet seat cover and a grooming table.
It is important to get the rabbit used to being handled. It is much harder to groom a rabbit that won't let you handle it, especially when you have to do the leg, chest and belly.

she's really just a poopy commercial rabbit. No where near as wide and butty as she should be, but she's an awesome pet. And she's still a baby. =3 Three and a half months? Somewhere around there.

The thing about plucking is they gotta be ready to do it, I believe. And since I was worried about hurting her if she wasn't (and found that at least the method I was using was taking FOREVER), I just took a pair of scissors.

I only nicked her once, and it was when I got careless behind her ears. (Mostly because I couldn't see, and she didn't want me pushing her ears forward)

Can't wait to start spinning! ;D

Back