Woody Pet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dootsmom

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a difference in thequality of Woody Pet? I go through 150 pounds of it a weekand am finding that, lately, I'm having to change the litter more oftenthan once a week. It doesn't seem to be as absorbent as itused to be. I think that its color is darker and it seems tohave a stronger odor. My litter boxes are getting stinkyafter only 3 days!! Is it me or, has anyone else noticed adifference in it?
Charlotte

No it's not just you. It isn't absorbingas well for me either. I've also noticed the pellets are smaller, morejagged and the whole bag is really dusty.

I've switched brands and am much happier.

Tina

I tried to blame it on the fact that I closedthe window to the critter room, but now that you mention it, my boxesare getting smelly much faster then normal. I hate to sayit's the Woody Pet, but maybe it is.

Jen

Hmmm... funny you should mention it. I justrefilled my bins today and could hardly breathe from all the dust. Asfor absorbency, I can't tell because I change my boxes every day.

...I think we need JimD's opinion:shock:

Yes, it is not as absorbant,crumbles quicker.The pieces are smaller and softer and I too must change pans moreoften. I don't like it at all. The smell is stronger too.

I only used 3 bags out of 10 bags that I boughtlast February. At that time Buck was mentioningabout smaller and morebrokenpellets. However it works fine withme.

Some of the reasons I could think of are...

1. There are different locations that make WoodyPet, so that the batch might be different fromeachplant.

2. The stock of wood being used is different throughout the season.

3. Shipping and handling causes breakage giving smaller pieces and more dust.

4. The dustier bags are from the bottom of the barrel. The end of a production run.

I am trying a different type too. It is called MountainDragon. It is a product of Canada, butdon't know where it's made. Itcosts $3.99 for 40lbs. The difference is a slight pinesmell. The pellets are largerand harder but takes longer to absorb. Once itabsorbs it swells up more than Woody Pet. However,I am using more of this than Woody Pet.

Rainbows! :)

Well Howdy, Dootsmom! :wave:

Funny you should ask! We've been having this discussion.

Check out the "Shavings" spread by Spring. Take it from Page 2 or so. That's where the WoodyPet discussion starts.

Gypsy pointed that exact point out in one of the things we were sayingabout it, and you'll see others have noticed it too. I certainly have.I don't think the size of the pellets can get much smaller.

I'm definitely in the market for something else at this point.

Hope all your charges and you and husband are doing well.

:kiss:

-Carolyn

I forgot to include this in my last post, buteven though I find it dusty, I have found a way to control the dust andsneezing. I spray mine down with water. That is also supposed to makeit more absorbent.

The company is probably doing something to cutcosts. I've seen this happen with many products (unrelated to rabbits).Doesn't it make you furious when something that was once really "good"slowly turns into something else. This is my first and last post underthis heading as I am going back to "shavings." Equine Fresh is reallycheap and has no dust but I don't think my rabbits like the smell.

My most recent bag I got in October was moredustier and smaller. So went to walmart and got the wood pellets thatpeople us for stoves. I jsut started to use it and it is like the woodypet but darker and really big. Usually I change it everyday unless itdid not need to be. I just put a fresh batch in on sunday and it is nowstarting to smell. so it will be changed tomorrow when I get up.

I've noticed it too, gunna check out the woodstove pellets and see if that is any better, goodness knows the pelletsarethe size that woodypet USED to be.

Never used to smell urine, but like every day I get a strong whiff ofit from Anubis, who btw doesnt like the new Woodypet... he digs in hisbox now >.<

At our Tractor Supply they used to store WPinside the store, but they started storing it outside on big pallets,once they started keeping it outside I noticed a difference. I thinkit's because it's absorbing the humidity, or perhaps from the rain?Maybe it's happening to everyone now because of the wetter weather????I must look like a crazy lady, but I unload the top layer and one sideand get one from the middle, and then I put everything back LOL.

Megan

SweetPeasMommie wrote:
My most recent bag I got in October was more dustier andsmaller. So went to walmart and got the wood pellets that people us forstoves. I jsut started to use it and it is like the woody pet butdarker and really big. Usually I change it everyday unless it did notneed to be. I just put a fresh batch in on sunday and it is nowstarting to smell. so it will be changed tomorrow when I get up.
I've noticed it too, gunna check out the wood stove pelletsand see if that is any better, goodness knows the pellets arethe sizethat woodypet USED to be.

Never used to smell urine, but like every day I get a strong whiff ofit from Anubis, who btw doesnt like the new Woodypet... he digs in hisbox now >.<

OK I have to jump in here and saysomething about Regular Wood Pellets for the Pelletstoves !

KNOW WHAT THOSE PELLETS ARE MADE FROM ! Stove Pellets aremade from hard woods , that can meananything , it could be oak , cherry, maple ,aspen,or who knows what , it is all put into one larger grinderand( glue machine .) Edit , they are not glued, Iwas mistaken they are compressed through anextruder. ( sorry for the confusion )

Stove Pellets have to be made of Hard Woods for thesimple fact they have to burn loger and hotter .Please take this into concideration when BuyingWood Stove Pellets .

I've switched to another brand that is more likewoody pet was in the beginning with the bigger pellets,and Iam extremely happy with it. The brand name is Marth.

Sweet Pea - regarding the wood stove pellets -is the concern for them because of the aroma/dust of the possiblyharmful hard woods used, or that the bun might eat them?

I have used wood stove pellets for years - under the advise of HRSfosterers, and have had no problems. But I will certainly stop and usesomething else if I find any evidence they are dangerous in any way.

In my litter boxes, I put a thin layer of pellets on the bottom andcover with alot of hay. They don't bother at all with the pellets -chewing or eating them that is. The hay controls any dust that may bein them, and if they do dig in the box, the hay helps to contain thepellets.

We have a Tractor Supply being built about 20 minutes from us :)
and I intend to go see if they have any of those alternatesof Woody Pet that have been listed on this most informative post.
Thank you everyone!

sfritzp wrote:
Sweet Pea - regarding the wood stove pellets - is theconcern for them because of the aroma/dust of the possibly harmful hardwoods used, or that the bun might eat them?

I have used wood stove pellets for years - under the advise of HRSfosterers, and have had no problems. But I will certainly stop and usesomething else if I find any evidence they are dangerous in any way.

In my litter boxes, I put a thin layer of pellets on the bottom andcover with alot of hay. They don't bother at all with the pellets -chewing or eating them that is. The hay controls any dust that may bein them, and if they do dig in the box, the hay helps to contain thepellets.

We have a Tractor Supply being built about 20 minutes from us :)
and I intend to go see if they have any of those alternatesof Woody Pet that have been listed on this most informative post.
Thank you everyone!

I wasnt saying to stop using them , Isaid *"Know what they are made from*", some woods as we ALL know canbe toxic to rabbits. Even in small quantities .

SweetPeasMommie wrote:
I checked in there it is all pine only no smell orchemicals. Just regular wood. I will look again. I have 3 bags ofthem
Walmartis selling Pine Pellets for Pellet Stoves, ? well I guess that certainly explains last yearsproblems with myPellet stove then , Itended up costing me over $ 500.00 to have my stove repaired!Pine Pellets forPellet stoves is a hugeNO NO , it burns too hot , and burns outyour stove .

Latest posts

Back