Woody pet ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was having a hard time findingdealerss that could actually keep enough of it in stock. I eventuallyswitched to Equine Fresh and it works just like Woody pet and I can goto three different places and they always have lots of it instock.

Just a thought for those that can't find Woody Pet.

Tina

Before I got Woody Pet,I tried FireMaster Wood StovePellets, fromHomeDepot.On thepackaging, it was listed as100% Pine Pellets, No Additives, NoChemicals, andsafe for pets. Itsold for $4.00 for a 40 lb.bag. Trouble was.... it smelled so strong ofPine that the whole house reeked ofit. I didn't think it would be safe forbunny to be sitting in it, and breathing itin. After leaving it in thebasement for six months , the opened bag didn'thave the strong smell as before. So Iwill try using them again.

In a quick experiment, I put some stove pellets ina cup with some water, and Woody Pet in anothercup. The stove pelletsdidn'tabsorb as well, and though it expanded,it didn't fluff up like Woody Pet. Thestove pellets stayed wet and mushy, hence the termwaterlogged and I had to scrape itout of the cup. On the otherhand, Woody Pet felt dry even though it wasdamp, I believe its ability to fluff up,that it wasable to dry out and I was able to pour it out of thecup.Best ifthe stove pellets was left for the fire place.

I am so pleased with Woody Pet.However, other products would be similarif they were intended as horsebedding, and not labeledfor wood stoves.

Now what should I do withthe 4 bags of Wood Stove Pellets? :mad:

Rainbows! :)

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Before I got Woody Pet, Itried FireMaster Wood StovePellets, fromHomeDepot.On thepackaging, it was listed as100% Pine Pellets, No Additives, NoChemicals, andsafe for pets. Itsold for $4.00 for a 40 lb.bag. Trouble was.... it smelled so strong ofPine that the whole house reeked ofit. I didn't think it would be safe forbunny to be sitting in it, and breathing itin. After leaving it in thebasement for six months , the opened bag didn'thave the strong smell as before. So Iwill try using them again.

In a quick experiment, I put some stove pellets ina cup with some water, and Woody Pet in anothercup. The stove pelletsdidn'tabsorb as well, and though it expanded,it didn't fluff up like Woody Pet. Thestove pellets stayed wet and mushy, hence the termwaterlogged and I had to scrape itout of the cup. On the otherhand, Woody Pet felt dry even though it wasdamp, I believe its ability to fluff up,that it wasable to dry out and I was able to pour it out of thecup.Best ifthe stove pellets was left for the fire place.

I am so pleased with Woody Pet.However, other products would be similarif they were intended as horsebedding, and not labeledfor wood stoves.

Now what should I do withthe 4 bags of Wood Stove Pellets? :mad:

you can buy a Chiminea for your backyard .. they are very nice forthose cool nights where its nice enough to be outside and the fire isvery inviting. you probably use the stove pellets as like a starterstuff

chiminea.jpg

FreddysMom wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
Nowwhat should I do withthe 4 bags of Wood StovePellets? :mad:

you can buy a Chiminea for your backyard .. they are very nice forthose cool nights where its nice enough to be outside and the fire isvery inviting. you probably use the stove pellets as like a starterstuff

I saw this one at Sears and really liked it...it's got a screened dome cover that comes with it, too

dajeti2 wrote:
I was having a hard time finding dealerss that couldactually keep enough of it in stock. I eventually switched to EquineFresh and it works just like Woody pet and I can go to three differentplaces and they always have lots of it in stock.

Just a thought for those that can't find Woody Pet.

Tina
Thanks for the suggestion. I've just aboutgiven up on Woody Pet because no one seems to have it in stockon a consistent basis. And when I called Blue Seal this past week, theysaid a Woody Pet plant had burned down and they didn't know when they'dbe getting more :shock:

I've been sticking with Feline Pine in themeantime. Not very cost effective, but at least I know I will be ableto find it (I don't have the storage space to stock up on more than oneor two bags). And like PetBunny, I did not have the best experiencewith woodstove pellets.

I'll have to try looking for other horse beddings...

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Before I got Woody Pet, Itried FireMaster Wood StovePellets, fromHomeDepot.On thepackaging, it was listed as100% Pine PelletsRainbows! :)

I was considering wood stove pellets when the Agway ran out of WoodyPet. The only difference with their stove pellets is that they were100% hardwoods. There was an open bag and it had a woodsy/outdoorsyaroma...not at all like pine. My concern was the performance as far asabsorbancy and odor control. I would think that the hardwoods would beeven less absorbant that the pine.

Bottom line....I think I'll pass on any and all stove pellets and stick to the horse bedding ones.

I found gaurdian. its a horse bedding and it works great for my bunnies.

Cristy

There are several manufactureres of wood pellet bedding/litter. These are a few that I have been able to identify and research:

ABM
Dry Den
Equi-Litter
Equinepine
Gentle Touch Products
Guardian Horse Bedding
Lone Star Bedding
Magnum Horse Products
Pine Stall Horse Bedding
Pinnacle Pine Horse Bedding

Excellent, Jim, very helpful!

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

ok-- i don't know how to use thisthing. zakfoxmom, i noticed you lived in southerncali. i live in los angeles. where did you buy your woodypet? i'm desperately looking for it.

zakfoxmom wrote:
I just bought Woody Pet this past weekend and LOVE IT!!!! It is terrific!!

flemishluvr wrote:
ok-- i don't know how to use this thing.zakfoxmom, i noticed you lived in southern cali. i live inlos angeles. where did you buy your woody pet? i'mdesperately looking for it.

zakfoxmom wrote:
I just bought Woody Petthis past weekend and LOVE IT!!!! It is terrific!!
I live in El Cajon, about 14 miles east of San Diego. Go towww.woodypet.com . You can find aplace that sells it. I think what I had to do was enter myemail info and then I got an email response from the company listingplaces in my area that sold it.

Too bad you don't live closer there are about 4 places that sell it andthe San Diego House Rabbit Society has a store a couple times a monththat has some good stuff, great hay. They are havingsomething called Bunnyfest at the end of the month I am going to goto. Since I am a new rabbit owner this will be my first yeargoing.

Latest posts

Back