Wood shavings safe???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Reading up on info...and I'm now wondering if wood shavings are safe?.... My bunnies have a 4level wood home with ramps and chicken cage door with a wood frame that my husband built each one of them:) the levels are wood covered in the grass like rug...looks like fake grass.at the bottoms of their homes they have a pan letterbox and fill the bottom of it in wood shavings and change it every other day.they mostly always run down there,go potty,then go back up....so long story but I'm wondering if the shavings I put in there is safe????can anyone help.thx:wink:big wink:

Wood shavings not recommended are pine and cedar I believe (due to the oils they release). Aspen and hemp, etc. are safe. (A lot of people prefer to use the compact wood or newspaper pellets though because they are more absorbent.)

On the other hand, I am a little bit concerned about the grass rugs? Do you mean like the fake grass rugs people use? Or do you mean grass mat, like woven hay? :confused2:

Pine is alright as long as it's kiln dried, which removes the phenols. Cedar is too high in phenols so drying it doesn't remove enough to make it safe. Coal made it to 13 1/2 and had pine bedding her whole time. Just make sure it is kiln dried, not raw pine.

It's green&I think it's called artificial lawn turf....for patios and it was covering our sunroom patio floor where they use to run around. Idk but I think that's what it's called. They don't eat it. It just covers their levels intheir house.we've stapled it all down good

Latest posts

Back