Wood Pine Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtt

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently purchased a bag of wood pine pellets from a local feed store and I was wondering if they were safe for my bunny to use as litter.

He is currently using Carefresh Natural as his litter but the bag I purchased recently smelled REALLY bad (it smelled worse than his droppings and urine possibly due to a new formula they are using to make it) and Carefresh is a bit expensive compared to the wood pellet which I have just purchased.

I understand that pine wood shavings are not safe for bunnies but I was wondering if the pellet forms are any different. The pellets also seems to retain their pine scent even though I have not opened the bag yet.

I buy wood stove pellets from my local feed store...I think they are the same as what you have. If so a ton of us use them for litter! I have a huge litter box that three buns use and I can make a change last four to five days when before I was changing boxes every other day. They are a great choice!

I agree, the pine pellets I get are kiln treated, which makes them safe. If it is horse stall bedding then it should be good, but make sure it has been treated to drive off all the aeromatic compounds. There shouldn't be a strong pine smell to them.

If the kind you got is not appropriate they may exchange it for a better version. I get 40 pounds for $7 of this:

http://www.guardianhorsebedding.com/pinepellets.htm

The urine smell is SO much less than carefresh!

Latest posts

Back