Wood Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pOker

Reaction score
I think this is the right section--a mod can move it if not..

SOOOO-I always hear lots of chat about the wooden pellets people use as litter..
Here is the question;

My grandparents have a wood stove and use wood pellets--I believe they are different then what everyone else uses but would they still be okay as litter????

I want something cheap but long lasting--so any ideas??

If the wood stove pellets arent okay, I will just stick to carefresh..

Many people do use wood stove pellets. They are basically the same (and in many cases made by the same company), as the horse stall bedding. As long as there is no fuel added they should be fine. Sometimes the wood stove pellets can be a bit different than the horse stall ones, but they should work just fine. They can sometimes be a bit cheaper too.

pOker wrote:
I think this is the right section--a mod can move it if not..

SOOOO-I always hear lots of chat about the wooden pellets people use as litter..
Here is the question;

My grandparents have a wood stove and use wood pellets--I believe they are different then what everyone else uses but would they still be okay as litter????

I want something cheap but long lasting--so any ideas??

If the wood stove pellets arent okay, I will just stick to carefresh..
no pine,no cedar,no-scented,no treated pellets...personally i put my money on timothy/orchard hay,...exellent bedding,,poop box,,hay bin,,,all purpose grasses..sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance::pinkbouce:

How are they different from typical wood pellets? We would really need to know that before we could say if they were ok.

In my wood pellet buing excursions, I've really only seen one basic type (though it comes in different woods - softwood, hardwood, etc) so I would guess that they are ok.

Check that they don't have accelerants, but I believe most wood pellets don't, because you want them to have a slow burn in the stove anyway.

Wood stove pellets should be fine, as long as they have no added accelerants.

Wood pellets when processed are put through extreme heats during kiln drying and through the extrusion process used to form pellets, which removes all bad phenols that affect rabbits. So, you can use pellets made from pine or soft wood with out the negative effects you find with shavings.

Some wood stove pellets are made from hardwood vs softwood that most litter pellets are made from. Hardwood pellets are not quite as absorbent as the softwood pellets, but will work just fine as a litter.

-Dawn

Once you use wood stove pellets, you will probably start to wonder why you threw so much money away on Carefresh - that stuff is pricey :p.

Hmm, so I am going to get the pellets today :)

Yeah Amy--carefresh is expensive, I get it for 7 dollars for the huge bag of it though..But I also just got access to 5 tons of wood stove pellets for free :) God Bless those grandparents of mine :D

Latest posts

Back