wood pellets ???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally with cookie

Reaction score
i found the wood pellets i was going to buy in the cat section but there pine. isnt pine bad.(i though so since rabbits have sensitive respitories)i know its bad for my bird so im stuck. i did how ever find these littlebeads similar to that of critter litter with out the brand name so its a bit cheeper.

anycomments on the pine wood pellets?

if not i think i'll try those little beads which i've bought befor but it was a brand name befor but brand name dont matter your only paying for brand names sometimes. i mean 21.99 for the brand name and 7.99 for petcetra brand. i think its pretty good.

I use the pine wood pellets and they are safe for your rabbits. They are extremely absorbent and cheap. My rabbits don't chew on them, they sometimes kick them all over the place!:D

I get mine at a Farm supply store and it costs about $6 for a 40lb bag which lasts me 2 months and I have 12 rabbits.

The particular brand that I use is Dejino's Pellets, they are used in horse stables and for small animals. I am a big fan of wood pellets, I keep all my rabbits inside the house and I was constantly battling odor. Since I started using the wood pellets you can not smell the rabbits when you walk into the house.

Check the bag, does it say "kiln dried?" If so, the bad chemicals have been baked off so the pellets are safe. Most wood pellets say this. If they don't, call the company and ask.

naturestee wrote:
Check the bag, does it say "kiln dried?" If so, the bad chemicals have been baked off so the pellets are safe. Most wood pellets say this. If they don't, call the company and ask.
Good catch, the ones I buy are kiln dried and I don't even think about anymore.

The wood pellets I used smelled like sawdust. But it's very light. It doesn't have the smell of the pine shavings. I guess baking it would eliminate the natural oils from it. :)

If you are buying from petcetra, make sure they are on sale. the regular price is $18 or so and sale is $8. And you need the club card to get sale prices, it is free to get though. I tried to cheak on their website but it isnt working for me right now.

If there is a strong pine smell, it is a good idea to let it "air out".

I had some bags like that, including Woody Pet pellets, where I got head aches from the smell. I put them away in the basement and didn't use them for a few months, and they eventuallydidn't smell.

If you are worried about the pine smell, use very little in the litter box, and try to keep the litter box as far away from Cookie's living quarters.

It is importantto have good ventilation around Cookie's cage.

Back