won't use the facilities when in her cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly316

Reaction score
So I guess almost a month and a half ago I took Nubbles to get spayed and ever since then she will not poop or pee in her cage at all. She has the litterbox and has taken to turning it upside down to dump out all the litter, make a big mess, and then toss it around, but she won't use it. I actually had to wire her litterbox to the side of the cage in hopes that she'll start using again if it doesn't move!

We have a second litterbox set up in the room that we let her run around in. As soon as we let her out of her cage, she runs right to this litterbox and poops away.

I'm just worried because she's holding it in all night and all day. I work full time so I can't let her out until I get home. when she's out, she's out for a good amount of time. I'm especially worried because my last bunny died from pooping related problems :(

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone have any suggestions?? I've tried to put some of her used litter into the litterbox in her cage to encourage her but it doesn't seem to be working... please help!

shelly316 wrote:
I'm especially worried because my last bunny died from pooping related problems :(

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone have any suggestions?? I've tried to put some of her used litter into the litterbox in her cage to encourage her but it doesn't seem to be working... please help!

I'm sorry to hear this! Let me ask, was this Coccidia? Did the bun have any mucus in the poop? (I know it sounds gross, but, very familiar to bun owners, lol.)

This can be very serious. Let us know.

On the cage thing, I would think it's new, territorial, related. Since newly spayed, that could be why. I would think these behaviors will calm down eventually.

We're not really sure what it was...she just stopped pooping...took her to the vet, they gave hersome medication and she seemed to get better, but a few weeks later she got worse again :/

I'm sorry that happened. Is your vet rabbit savvy? Best to look into some new ones that are if your isn't before you need one. Wonder what meds were given.

Maybe try switching the litterboxes too? Maybe she prefers that one, lol. Bunnies can be silly.;)

Back