won't eat pellets!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinksalamander

Reaction score
ok firstly, i apologise for my appauling grammar in the following post but my keyboard won't allow me to do capital letters for some reason.

main question. lottie isn't eating her pellets. she didn't eat them last night and today has eaten any. usually she gobbles them all up in a matter of seconds, now she isn't. she is still eating plenty of vegetables, grass and hay. she is pooping, weeing, drinking etc but its just the pellets she won't touch.

can anyone think of a reason for this, maybe the baytril she is on is putting her off it? i don't know why. what should i do? she seems in a good health and we are going to the vets soon. should i try to force the issue by providing only pellets? (she will have hay in her hutch but when she is in the indoor pen she doesn't eat hay ever, so shall i just leave out pellets? that way i can monitor if she is eating even a tiny nibble). or should i leave it be until the vets appointment next monday unless it had deteriorated and just give her extra hay and veggies?

fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Is it possible the pellets have gone bad? Do they look normal? That is about the only thing I can think of, other than teeth issues, but if she's eating veggies and hay fine, not likely. If there's a possibility they're bad, go out and get some new and see if she eats those. I hope she starts eatingher pelletssoon.

I am thinking the same thing as AngelnSnuffy. One time our pellets went bad (they had a funny smell but I couldn't remember what they were supposed to smell like). The rabbits knew right away and wouldn't eat them.

My keyboard is working YAY!

Thanks. I can't see them having gone off, i only bought the bag about 2 weeks ago. Its almost finished so i will buy some more today. I went down this morning and she had munched on a few (i put extra in there for her last night). There were still some in the bowl and alot scattered on the floor at the top, but the bulk of it was gone. She is still absolutley fine and ate her drugged up Baytril apple fine along with a big cabbage leaf and some hay.

I will keep an eye on it over the next few days and try switching to a fresh food.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

I agree with the others about possibly the pellets being spoiled. Purchase date has nothing to do with freshness. Here in the US, there is usually a "mill date" stating when the pellets were manufactured. But things such as heat and storage methods have an effect on the pellets as well as the quality of hay used in production. I am not a huge fan of pellets anyway......as long as my rabbits are eating hay, I don't have a problem with not eating pellets. If they will eat hay, that usually means the teeth are good since hay is more difficult to chew than pellets.

Randy

Sorry i didn't reply!

I couldn't get any *new* pellets. I went to the petshop and they had none. I asked if they had any in stock and they said apparently the company that makes them (Supreme Science Selective) is going bust and its near impossible to get the pellets in! I went to the next town and looked in 2 petshops and they had none either. I went to another town and they said they had never stocked them anyway.

So, i ended up having to buy Excel. Its still a really good brand, they are both pretty much the same. Its a little more expensive because it was the 'first' so people tend to think its 'better'.

So i only had enough pellets for 3 days to mix it all in! So she is now on full Excel because i just can't get hold of Supreme. I'm going to keep a check on her poo but she seems fine. There was really nothing i could do.

And yes, to answer, she is eating fine. Maybe she was just having a funny day!

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Well, that sounds like a huge pain in the butt. At least you tried though. Glad to hear she's doing fine on the new ones and that she's eating, that's great!:D

Latest posts

Back