Won't eat leafy greens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftymelli7

Reaction score
My 4 month old rabbit, Clover, will not eat leafy greens.
I can sometimes get him to eat a baby carrot.
The vet said to start him on healthy, fresh, leafy greens. But everytime I offer him any he absolutely refuses to try them at all.

I've tried offering: green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, Romain lettuce, sweet basil, mint, and cilantro. I only offer one type of leafy green a day. I've tried each several times. He turns his head every time.

What should I do?

Some rabbits are extremely stubborn about when and if they want to try something new or not, especially if they've just joined your household.
I remember how Iris refused absolutely everything except hay for the first two weeks. She wouldn't try something even after i'd gently brushed her nose with it until she took it out of anger.
Only later when she'd started feeling safe with us did she try anything new.
Another thing i did was leaving the veg leaf in her main feeding area for a few hours, "not paying any attention" to her- some buns just don't like you expectantly staring at them all the time. If she still wouldn't touch it after a few hours of being unbothered, i'd remove that veg.

One more trick you may want to try if you really want to get Clover to eat fresh leafies now, would be to pick something you would eat as well. It might just be that seeing you eat the same thing you offer to him will be enough to ring his bells of "that seems safe to eat, what's it taste like?"
I know that- taking a bite of romaine and then offering the other end where i hadn't bitten- also worked as a nice method of enticing and bonding with my late Storm who was wary of us for a looong time.

For my buns, i've found that fragnant herbs like mint, dill, basil etc work best as starter vegs- they grow plenty, even in a pot and are usually easy on rabbits' systems.
I remember that Storm would always beeline for the patch of dill on our yard when we followed him outside.

But if he's eating plenty of good hay and is accepting pellets too, i wouldn't be very anxious if he keeps rejecting greens for another stretch of time.

Latest posts

Back