Wondering about my bunny's diets.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killertheturtle

Reaction score
I alternate my veggies (I buy enough for a week) weekly. I usually give three different kinds a week, and like I said, switch them up each week.
I give pellets one day, and then veggies the next day. The reason behind this, is because my pair gets sick of either food if given two days in a row and won't eat it. My single bun, LOVES pellets and he will barely eat his hay on days he has pellets. So on veggie days, he eats all his veggies, plus a lot of hay. Is this ok?

Also, my single bun is a Flemish, at about 13-14 pounds. On the pellets days, I give him 1 1/4 cup. Is that enough?

I don't think that this is the best way to feed. If you give a little of everything then your rabbits should eventually eat what is available. 1 1/4 cup (QOD) isn't a good idea; a rabbit should have a more consistent diet . I believe that a 13-14 lb rabbit should have about 3/4 cup daily of pellets ( those with large buns correct me if i'm wrong), a lot of hay daily and a moderate amount of veggies.

here are some links on diet

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

I agree with Angieluv.:)

If a bun won't eat hay because he's busy eating pellets all day, he's getting too many pellets. I feed pellets and veggies twice a day. The bowl is empty after 10 minutes or so and the rest of the day they munch on hay.

Also, it's best to feed a more consistent diet to prevent the rabbits' stomach from getting upset. Different diets need different gut bacteria to digest, changing it changes the bacteria populations which can upset the stomach.

Thanks, guys.

Naturestee, I understand what you are saying about the veggies and the stomach bacteria. Even though I switch up veggies often so they will get a larger variety, I slowly introduced those veggies when I first started feeding them that particular kind. I don't just throw new veggies in their bowls.

Actually, by consistent I ment consistent day to day. Honestly with my adult buns I can throw a pile of just about any veggie in there and they'll chow it down with no repercussions even if they haven't seen it since the previous garden season. But it's better to feed veggies every day than every other day to keep the gut bacteria more consistent.

Back