Wire floors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
I was on a different forum talking about my rabbits, and I showed pictures of them, and someone noticed the wire floor on all of their cages. So they started saying that that's not good for my rabbits, and I tried to reason with them that I thought they were good. I've been using them for five years, and never have I had a problem... So are they good? Everyone around here says it's first class choice.

If you want to see the whole thing, go to XXXXXXXXXXX and then to the hamster forum, and pic the board called "Pet Pics" and you'll see it. It's called "Some Favorites in the Rabbitry."

Anyway, maybe I've been misled my whole rabbit career...:?

A concern was raised about this post, so the name of the forum has been removed due to the "no advertising other forums" policy as well as to protect the innocent. :cool:

We would liketo educate, not encourage flaming posters on other forums.

Pam

It is common practice to use wire flooring for rabbits in the United States because it keeps them cleaner and helps to prevent certain diseasesby minimizingcontact with urine and feces.

Some breeds may not do well on wire flooring and may need an alternate solid floor. (Belgian Hares, for example, generally cannot be kept on wire flooring).

In many other countries, solid flooring is preferred.

Pam

i always THOUGHT it was not good to have wire floors because its uncomfortabe for the rabbit and can contribute to sore hocks.....my rabbits are all littered trained so they use the litter box in their cage when i actually have them caged.

Well I know that the giant breeds and some larger breeds do not do well on wire, but they clearly saw my Dutch, and I was explaining to them how my bloodlines have always had nice thick fur pads and have NEVER had a problem on the wire. I also told them that I've only had one case of sore hocks, and that was when I owned a wooden hutch. I'm not sure why they keep telling me that it's not good for them. I saw that the URL that I put down was erased... can I just show the sight's name so you can go see?

Oh my gosh, you actually went there and stood up for me??!! Thank you!:DAfter that, we called it truce. And Pamnock, I did notice that a lot of people on that forum are from the UK. I guess different countries do have different opinions. Thanks for all of your help and support!

Why not let the rabbit decide? Half wire and half wood or tile would do the trick, and adjust acordingly from there. Grass mats or towels can also provide some optional comfort.

I believe there's a study here somewherethat Buck Jones found whererabbits (babies I think) in a large rabbitry were given the choice, and I think the majoritychose the wire (although I'm not sure if it was just because it was what they were used to, I didn't find the study), so I'm not one of those house bunny types who will always argue that point.

And my rabbits are such individuals, I find it difficultto say what's best for the species.I gage it onwhat's best for the rabbit.

sas :)and the gang of five :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

My usual routine is to provide a board for the kits when the nest box is removed at three weeks of age (because the kits' fur pads are still developing) and have it in their until they're sold. If I keep one, I'll have a board in there for them until they're 3 months or so old. If I have extras, I'll usually put them in the cages for the younger members in the herd.

Latest posts

Back