Wire Caging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsrock_love

Reaction score
Ok, so I brought a wire cage for Snowflake but I knew wire hurts buns' paws, so I decided putting some paper on top of the wire for this past week, but it doesn't provide much cusion. But I see some people's buns' cages have a carpet material on the bottom. I want to put that for Snowflake, but I'm scared that she'll poo/pee all over that carpet!! what should I do? Litter train her? (But then again, I don't know how to litter train a bun!!!) Help please!!! :)Thank you!!!

(I'm new to the world of buns, sorry for my ignorance!!)

You /can/ liter train any rabbit. I bought a buck from a breeder, gave him a litter pan, and he did it himself. Obviously, he'd never seen one before. X3

Even in the pans of my herd, each rabbit has picked their own pee and poop spot. There's literally piles of poo in certain corners. LOL!

Although, wire bottoms can be perfectly fine. My rabbits live most of their lives on it... Only times off are their outdoor times, and time spent on the grooming and judging table! I've had only one case of any kind of sore hocks, and it was so minimal I didn't even need to treat it, other than keeping it from getting infected. If you're that worried, EZ mats are available from places like Bass Equipment, for cheap. They're easier on the feet then wire. If thats not an option, even a piece of plywood. (Another favorite of mine for babies) Just have to disinfect every now and then.

Welcome to the world of bunnies! It's a pretty crazy one~

put coroplast down over the wire if you want. i find it very good and easy to clean. i also put towels that i bought only for the bun down for something a bit more comfy. they remove easy and just go in the washing (i tend to wash those separate though)

litter training is pretty easy, though it takes alot of patients and you have to be constant. all you really have to do is pick a corner away from the bunny's food and put a box with proper litter in it. i use yesterdays news (tightly packed newspaper made into pellets.). then you place the bun into the designated litter box every 15 minutes or so and any "doings" that are done outside of it, you place it in the box while the bun is watching you do it. they will get the point eventually. it depends on the bun on when they actually start to catch on. mine it took a few days, while another bun might take a week or 2

You can cover the wire with plastic resting platforms. :)

512tYQzXr3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I second the plastic platforms. I have one in my newzealands cage. Most of the time she doesn't use it, and would rather lay on the wire.

Unless you have mini rex, or flemish, the wire doesn't hurt their paws. Even then some rabbits in those breeds can easily handle wire cages. I have my mini rex on all wire except for when she is allowed outside. Never an issue with her. All my breeding and pet rabbits are also housed on wire too.

I'm building a cage now with wire grids, and I bought a piece of plexiglass to put on top. Over that I'm putting those foam puzzle pieces that kids play on. Though I know people do use tile, fleece, carpet...etc.

I really like the plastic platform things, they're very nice. I have one for my outside Holland and he always lays on it. For my californians they have dishpans they love to sit in & my NZ has a carrying cage, but only in the cooler months since they tend to hide behind them and overheat...In the summer I just use cardboard! I get it for free most of the time((my mother is a teacher and her teacher friends give her boxes)), plus they love to chew it up so it's a plaything, resting mat, and good for their teeth. :p

Latest posts

Back