wintery nights on the way

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue_Star

Reaction score
Weather here has been getting cold lately, and thursday night the low is like 19F. I have an outdoor hutch for my bunny. Yesterday i took a cardboard box and filled it with hay, and hollowed out a hole just big enough for my bunny to snuggle in. Then i took more hay and built it up in one corner of the hutch. This is in addition to the normal hay i leave for her. I then put the opening of the box pointed toward the pile of hay to hopefully block wind from all sides. Is this enough to keep my bunny warm in the few bittery days ahead? Or is there something else i should do?

I don't keep buns outside now, but I remember from when I was a kid and we had a bunny outside - we'd fold a blanket and put it on top of the hutch for a little insulation, and then throw a tarp over the top so it was waterproof, and weigh it down with bricks.

And then if it's raining or really windy you can pull the tarp down over the front as well to keep it warmer/dry inside. :)

And just make sure to keep topping up the hay as it gets nibbled away. ;)

Also if it's getting that cold, make sure to keep checking the water as it will freeze quickly. Do you use a bowl or a bottle?

The water will freeze so quickly in the metal spout of a bottle, so it's recommended that you offer a bowl instead of/in addition to the bottle. I think you can even get heated water bowls to stop the water freezing.. but I don't know if they'd work/be appropriate.

Hopefully someone who keeps their buns outside in winter will be along with some more information for you soon. :)

What you've done is very good. Yeah, it has been very cold this winter. As Delusional mentioned, keep an eye on the water. Check at least 2-3 times a day. I use crocks. If you have 2, fill one. When it freezes, bring it in and take the other out. You can use a blanket or tarp to break the wind if necessary.

Well, if you just have one bun it's probably easier to have her indoors for a few days in a cardboard box. Let her spend the day outside if it's not too cold. A low of 19 isn't that cold. A high of 19 would make me bring her in. If it's below freezing all day it may be easier to keep her in instead of going out to keep her supplied with liquid water.

Back