Winter coats etc

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cher

Reaction score
Well this is going to be Jezebel andJaden's first real (albeit indoor)Canadianwinter :) since their first winter ever was in Taiwan, so the questionI pose is this~Jaden is shedding quite profusely but ONLY on her hindarea (as in rump) she is never at a loss for fur and I swear I couldmarket and sell the stuff to make beautiful white winter slippers ifshe keeps this trend going. I am only concerned because I have not hadto deal with this *winter coat* shedding before and just want toconfirm that I am not being an overly concerned momma (hehe, really Iam )

My beauty Jezebel is starting to get some serious dark fur (ohhh, herecomes your wife Mocha...or sister for that matter) but instead ofpatches she seems to be *tipped* same with her ears. This is normalwinter fur as well?

HERDING...also I have read this being referred to as nudging, what areour expert's opinions on the concept of our bunny's herding us in theform of nudging in order to get us to where they want us to be? Beingthe overly organized little women that they are, my two girls arealways re-organizing their cages, moving things from one side toanother, heck they even move my pilates ball across the room when themood stikes'em!

Lastly, they were spayed 3 weeks or so ago now and Jaden is stillleaving her gifts of macadamian nuts the size of a mans head in certainspots, when is she going to get over her hormonal territorial markings?

WOW WHAT A RAMBLING POST!

hehe, feels so good to finally spend the morning here in me ol pj's,coffee in hand and just get caught up on all the going ons with theboard~It moves FAR TO FAST....

xo Cher, Jezebel and Jaden (and no that isn't a typo-I changed her name from Jade when I became the sole parent)

Bunny hugs and kisses

Molting occurs systematically from area to areathrough the bun's bodyI believe, but I forget the sequence itgoesin for most rabbits. I think it does commencewith the rump and/or back. In any case,I wouldn'tworry about it occurring prevalently in one area at atime. Helps to brush bun frequently and pull out the oldfur. I imagine it would feel wonderful to them.When I had hair, it felt really good to get a nice, new, shorthaircut. LOL

My past experience with neuterings was that it did take several weeksbefore behavioral changes began to take place. There arestill hormones raging around in those little bodies for a while,yet. Give it another three weeks and then see if things haveameliorated any.

I understand the Jade has become Jaden, but I don't understand thereference to becoming sole parent, unless you mean youare nowin your place, but I still don't see how that would affect the bun'sname. Out of curiosity, please explain, if you don'tmind?

Buck

Why dear sir, I don't mind at all-I welcome your inquisitiveness

My partner and I were the beginning parents for the two girls for a fewmonths, until my partner left Taiwan then I was raising themthereon my own. Upon my return to Canada I became singleafter awhile and therefore a single parent!! I did not choose the nameJade, and her personality just did not suit it, so with time (even backin Taiwan I was calling her Jaden) I changed it. She actually scampersto me at that name, tiss priceless I tell thee! Sometimes all I see isa little turtle nose pokin out from under the couch 'skirt' when I callher name, and then the galloping begins.

Cher

Cher,

You may notice more shedding in the rump area simply because peopletend to pet more on the head and back of the rabbit so that the hairfalls out more and the shedding is not as noticeable. Mocha and Spiceare the same because they are touchy about their butts being touched.Both my bunnies are still shedding despite the fact we have snow on theground and I constantly groom them. From my experience with my 2,shedding is no worries.

As for Jezebel's dark fur, it seems to be very common in domesticatedrabbits. I always attributed the lighter fur in the summer to sunbleaching because Mocha's fur always comes in darker and then lightens.Mocha is now one color except his belly is white! He is all dark now,the color of those patches he gets when he sheds. As for wild rabbits,darker fur in the winter is not common, wild rabbits get lighter toblend into the snow better but don't ask me why domesticated rabbitsare the opposite!

Cher wrote:
...tisspriceless I tell thee! Sometimes all I see is a little turtle nosepokin out from under the couch 'skirt' when I call her name, and thenthe galloping begins.

Cher
Yeah, I get a kick out of Missy poking her head out of the"safe house" door we have in the yard for free ranging buns.The door is small, and hobbit shaped if you know what I mean?

Missy on the other hand is large and porky, so she barely fits in andout of the door, but when she sticks her head out, it is like seeingthe giant woman peering in the window of the building in that oldsci-fi flic of the 50's, or was it 60's? They are endearingwhen they make those kinds of moves, aren't they?

So, Jaden it is then, and thank you for the explanation.

Buck

Anyone's thoughts on my herding idear?

P.S. Thank you so much Mr.Buck and Laura for your informative answersin regards to their hormones and fur, makes much more sense :p "ahhh, Iseeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Latest posts

Back